Rock Auto crap parts

Jeff Skibenes

Reaction score
So, forgive me as I am learning. I've heard a few folks on here mention the poor quality of Rock Auto parts. So my question is do any of you recommend an alternative online parts ordering? I need to order intake manifold gaskets. I've noticed that Rock Auto gives you several choices of parts. So enlighten me...

Rock Auto is great if you know exactly what you want/need. For an old Chrysler parts are limited, especially good parts.

Never had an issue with RockAuto when I used it - it's good for the more 'general' parts on any particular classic car, from what I found (such as a fuel pump or a distributor, stuff like that). Anything more involved than that, such as anything under your dash, you'll probably have to look elsewhere.

I have had good experiences with Rock Auto, but just know what you are ordering. "Felpro" or some off brand , for example. Why pay Summit price for the same thing ...

I love Rock Auto, the only crap part I got was returned defective and I may have lost a few dollars on shipping. Otherwise, I look up the various brands if I'm not sure what quality they are.
I got a Cardone master cylinder, and it's the exact same item as a Centric master cylinder, but $7 more.
I get belts and hoses from RA, for half the price of the local parts store.
If you need something right then, then a parts store is the answer, but if you can spare some time waiting, get your order together, find a discount code on the web, and use that savings to pay for upgraded shipping, and get your parts even quicker.

Here's the Rock Auto business model. They are hooked up with auto parts warehouses all over the country. They don't own any of them. They take your order and the warehouse drop ships directly to you. It's brilliant.

None of the parts are generic to RA. AutoZone has Duralast and NAPA has Balkamp. RA just sells what the warehouses stock.

So, pick the better parts. Go for FelPro gaskets or Timken bearing and not the cheapest stuff they sell. It's really that simple. Same stuff you will buy at a decent parts store.

And just for example, the local parts distributor, United Auto, that supplies parts houses, dealerships etc. has become a RA warehouse. The owner also has a couple nice restaurants and a lot of local real estate. Still says United on the front and their delivery trucks, but the return address says Rock Auto on anything shipped from there .

What Big John said.

They have cut out some fat and are usually cheaper. That's all. For a while, I had a "commercial account" at Advance Auto. I was very surprised at how much a discount I got. Just goes to show what they added to regular consumers.

What Big John said.

They have cut out some fat and are usually cheaper. That's all. For a while, I had a "commercial account" at Advance Auto. I was very surprised at how much a discount I got. Just goes to show what they added to regular consumers.
Just getting a tech discount can come in handy. The local store only has one guy who gives me that, but I have to ask every time I'm in there. I gave it to anyone who walked in the door when I was at CarQuest, our prices were so high.

As to what @Big_John mentioned in #6, RA is a "one stop shop" for almost everything you might need. But rather than ship from only their NY location, they have contracted "fulfillment centers" across the nation to actually fulfill the orders closer to where you might be.

I like RA for their catalog, as that gives me a research tool to see what might still be around and who might have it. IF I have any questions, then I can go into the catalog for the individual company and look around. They do sell some things at lower prices than most of the auto supplies might, but if I can find the same brands locally at close to the same price, then I will consider that too.

Many of the product ines which RA sells CAN change over time, just as with the local auto supply stores . . . especially the ones which might be actually owned/supplied by one large jobber warehouse. One of the possibly good things that RA does is give some smaller brands a national stage to sell from, sometimes getting some niche-market brands into the mainstream.

In many cases, it's much better to try to build a relationship with a local auto supply that might carry many of the same brands, especially an older "embedded" auto supply where the employees have been there for decades and still have a pile of old paper catalogs under the counter. Only thing is, spend money with them rather than just ask questions. Even if the price might be just a tad higher than what the same thing online might be. THEN, should you have some issues, they can be handled locally rather than over the Internet or phone.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Just today got a transmission mount from them for my 65 Fury. $10.98 with shipping and had it in 3 days. No complaints here.

My dad and I have been using RockAuto for about eight-ten years now, and overall, it has been very helpful. Occasionally, you will get a part that is of very poor quality. For example, one time we received an alternator for my Chrysler that was unpainted and had bent wire posts on it. However, the majority of parts are excellent and durable. The main thing that I have learned is to check your parts for mistakes and problems early, as you only have about 30 days after your part arrives to send it back, as sometimes you can miss an error and realize this past the 30-day limit.
Hope this helps,
77newyorker440

Needed , a catalytic converter for my 99 1500 . The cat is part of the header pipe. Napa $475 for just the header pipe . Rock auto , header pipe , intermediate pipe , muffler , tail pipe and upstream and down stream O,2s $525.00 shipped and both sold Walker brand exhaust. I try to buy local but made no sense to pay almost double for the same brand.

But rather than ship from only their NY location, they have contracted "fulfillment centers" across the nation to actually fulfill the orders closer to where you might be.

The Syracuse location is relatively new among the RA warehouses. I think I started getting things about 3 years ago from that location.

Stuff comes next day for me! (if it comes from that warehouse)

It would be interesting to know how many warehouses RA has in their system.

In many cases, it's much better to try to build a relationship with a local auto supply that might carry many of the same brands, especially an older "embedded" auto supply where the employees have been there for decades and still have a pile of old paper catalogs under the counter. Only thing is, spend money with them rather than just ask questions. Even if the price might be just a tad higher than what the same thing online might be. THEN, should you have some issues, they can be handled locally rather than over the Internet or phone.
I am lucky to have a well established (since 1966) NAPA store close to me. They have a well seasoned staff, several who are guys that work on cars themselves, and can use a paper catalog if necessary. I buy most of my parts from them because they give me a discount. I work on all of my own cars, including adult children and my mom's car, so I'm at the store a lot. They offer a good quality part and a lower priced part so you can choose. Cheaper is not always better. If there is ever a problem it is taken care of immediately. The owners and staff are a part of my community. They are guys who support local youth sports teams and community events. They are guys who you see at local car cruises or at church. I've done price comparisons a few times and after shipping is factored in, my local parts store comes in pretty close on price, I'm talking maybe $2-$5 dollars more or even the same price. I like to spend my money locally and see a privately owned business be successful. Way too many brick and mortar stores have vanished over the last few years and that is not a good thing for any community.

I use RA quite a bit. Most of the time I get an awesome selection to pick from and save quite a bit of money.

Beware of packages that were returned originally, taped back up, and resold to you. They (whoever "they" is) have no compunction about not inspecting their returns and sending you an old failed part (such as a rear main seal with a Ford part number on it in a taped up Fel Pro box). Which means that at some point, someone returned their old main seal to not have to pay for their new one.

Or the time I ordered new Sealed Power valve springs for a 460. What I got was 13 new valve springs, and 4 smaller ones that could not have fit anything over 200 cubic inches. Tape on the box. I guess those 4 smaller ones got the weight right for somebody.

There is no one to complain to when things go wrong. The process is that you send it back, at your own expense. Then they resell it to someone else. Try finding a phone number for customer service, or an address to send a complaint letter to.

If you treat it like you are sort of self-insured; that the money you save will occasionally be eaten up by your losses, then you will go into it being able to factor that in to your decision making process. I have done ok over all, but really you need to pause and inspect the parts carefully before you put a lot of work into installing them.

RockAuto has been very good to me, especially with shipping. With RA it rarely takes more than 7 days to get to me in the Netherlands and if I want the same part from summit shipping can be double or even triple the price. Service is also really good. If you have a problem with a part they ship a replacement with very little questions asked, at least in my experience.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Rockauto and the only problems I've had are with Dorman chrome lug nuts which started to rust within 2 months and now at 2 years have virtually no chrome left on them. The power window motor kit with nylon gear and metal drive gear , also by Dorman , failed miserably on 2 motors that I tried and just broke the teeth off the metal drive gear. Looked like the Chinese had made them from pot metal. The nylon gears were fine.

Back