Roof Rail Weatherstripping

So I just spoke with Jeff who said the sample he sent me had already been commented on (tried) by several other formal C Body owners, and that he needs to retool the extrusion to get it to seal against the window better. He said to check back in 2-3 weeks. Give it a month.

I could stop reading this thread because I no longer have any skin in the game but I won't simply because of the amusement factor.

I believe there is enough Formal's and everyone of them need roofrail seals to be profitable if someone decided to repop correct ones.

I've just received a call from Kim at Restoration Specialties. They have this weatherstripping in stock now. It should fit on the A-pillar and over the windows.

Their part# is: 75roofrail
It's not posted on their website yet.
Restoration Specialties and Supply, Inc.
If you don't mind, pictures as soon as you can... If they prove to fit, I'll be on the phone quick.

The pictures of the sample they sent me are posted in this thread. I didn't buy any because the car is locked up in storage until April/May.
The sample they sent a month or two ago appeared to be an exact match to the stuff on the A-pillar & over the windows. It was a 1 foot long sample.

This project originally started when I bought my first formal.....
Restoration Specialties: "Soon. Gotta finish a cupla other projects first..."

i-died-waiting-5bd381.jpg

And.....
These are not OEM style Roofrail Weather Stripping Assy's.
These are bulk rolls of weather stripping
So..

Kip's thread.....wherever it is on FCBO is the only thing close on creating/fabricating roofrail seals. This "alledged" roofrail bulk stripping referenced in this thread might help in Kip's roofrail fabrication instead of using the GM bulk roll stuff he references.

And just remember......left and right roofrail seals are different so don't make 2 of the same and expect them to work. Left side and right side roofrail seals are different on Formal 4 door hardtops!

And.....
These are not OEM style Roofrail Weather Stripping Assy's.
These are bulk rolls of weather stripping
So..
So what... as long as it works. You'll never find OEM. These cars are the red headed step child of ma Mopar so they will never be OEM.

I'll take whatever works. Looks pretty damn close.

Sorry, the photos of the correct roof rail weatherstripping aren't posted on this thread. They're here:
New Hardtop Roof Rail Weatherstripping - For Formal 4door Hardtops

When I compared this stuff to my car, it appeared to fit both sides of the car, to seal the A pillar area, and the area above the windows, which are the areas most likely to leak. It looked like an exact match in those areas. The original weatherstripping, sold by Chrysler does not fit both sides (there's one for each side), because it's a custom mold, that flattens out in other areas. Those flat areas are less likely to leak.

I also noticed while doing this, how easy it is to align the driver's window on the 4 door hardtop. It's just 3 bolts. I don't have vent windows, but managed to get my old weatherstripping to seal so well that it hardly leaked, on the 8 hour round-trip trip to Hershey last month. However, this car is low mileage, so the weatherstripping isn't terrible yet. The 43 year old Chrysler was quieter on the interstate than my wife's brand new Forester.

Last edited:
Back