Sadie - 1974 Imperial LeBaron

Those photos are the very definition of Car ****. They have me so drooling . . .

Man what a beautiful car!

And that car was only 1 hr. 20 min. from me!! Before I hung up the phone Collin must have grabbed her up....missed opportunity!

And that car was only 1 hr. 20 min. from me!! Before I hung up the phone Collin must have grabbed her up....missed opportunity!
I let her slip though my fingers once too... I'm happy that she has a good caretaker now, and Collin should outlive all of us, so she's taken.

She went at an auction about 3 years or so ago....and thought it won't go anywhere plus I couldn't get away to the auction (50 minutes away)....Oh well. I don't usually get too worked up about a good deal getting by me but when its an hour or less away....LOL!

Unless you are well versed with the removal and installation of the window motor/window regulator I would leave it alone and let a mechanic work on it. Formal window motors can take fingers off if you don't know what you are doing. I would recommend buying both FSM's on EBay or a copy from bishko.com if you plan on keeping the car.
Not just formals!

She went at an auction about 3 years or so ago....and thought it won't go anywhere plus I couldn't get away to the auction (50 minutes away)....Oh well. I don't usually get too worked up about a good deal getting by me but when its an hour or less away....LOL!
I was the 2nd place bidder... and she went below my predetermined "all in" limit... but I couldn't figure out the logistics to push forward. My lousy work schedule at the time, plus they last minute couldn't get her started and said the brakes had failed. If she had enough brakes left for a shipper to load her, I would have gone farther. :BangHead:

I was the 2nd place bidder... and she went below my predetermined "all in" limit... but I couldn't figure out the logistics to push forward. My lousy work schedule at the time, plus they last minute couldn't get her started and said the brakes had failed. If she had enough brakes left for a shipper to load her, I would have gone farther. :BangHead:

Those brakes are fixed now! Had to get all the fluid hoses replaced.. so I guess you could say the brakes are guaranteed to work fine since they've been worked on twice now! Only thing to do for the time being is to get the headlight doors to start working again.

Those brakes are fixed now! Had to get all the fluid hoses replaced.. so I guess you could say the brakes are guaranteed to work fine since they've been worked on twice now! Only thing to do for the time being is to get the headlight doors to start working again.
I know she's in good hands now.

Took Sadie out for some exercise on the interstate and drove her around town for a while. Probably due for another bath soon since it rained a bit today.

1B8EDFF8-D4CF-4AD0-B43F-699037269EAF.jpeg

Not quite yet unfortunately. My local mechanic didn’t know how to approach the issue and he recommended I take the Imp to a mechanic in Nashville that specializes in vintage automotive electronics. Haven’t been able to get a time open to take her there yet because of work and college but it is at the top of my list. Tried cleaning the contact points in hopes of fixing it but there is no power going to the doors so I’m thinking it’s an electrical issue. For now I’m only driving her during the day and early dusk. No night driving (which is probably better and safer anyway for both of us.) I’m still not an expert by any means in Imps so I’m learning every day. My love for this car shows in the amount of money I’ve already spent fixing various things up in the last short three months XD. As in love I am with this car it is a headache finding people who know how to work on it and how to find the parts. The master brake cylinder rebuild was a journey to say the least. The manager told me how difficult it is to find parts for and properly work on this car due to how rare it is. He told me “no one saves these cars. We don’t see these.” Seems like nobody preserves these beautiful cars except us strange C-Body freaks who tend to be too few and far between :D. I wish there were more of us. Most people who have classic cars around here own muscle cars and old pickup trucks.

Last edited:
Yes, these luxury cars never had the mass appeal of the trucks and sporty cars, but they're far more luxurious than today's luxury cars.

Maybe one day they'll gain more interest. Perhaps if you can put your mechanic in touch with forum folk who know how to repair them and also parts suppliers it may help.

You may need to learn how yourself considering the age of some forum experts, they won't be around forever.

You may need to learn how yourself considering the age of some forum experts, they won't be around forever.

You may want to also look for a young mechanic that’s not just a parts swapper technician. You need to look for someone who knows how to make things and learn how they work.

Ultimately and eventually these cars will be so old that there will no longer be service parts readily and economically available to keep them up and running without some clever bit of re-engineering.

Not talking about today or tomorrow but looking forward twenty or thirty years from now when there is no one left who was around when these cars were actually made and driven.

Some of us love them for their antique technology as much as for their aesthetic qualities. The challenge of getting it all back up and running as originally designed and engineered.

Think about how many model A’s were made and how many you see on the road some 70 - 80 years after their ubiquitous existence.

What I love about Collin is his interest in something that can not be nostalgic for him.

That is the future.... and why I’m hoarding spares. Even for stupid Lean Burn systems.

You go Collin! And we’re here to help you and any mechanic you deem worthy.

Last edited:
Probably good for Collin to start building a parts supply as funds permit. Like Javier wrote, these cars are 40 - 50 - 60 - 70 years old or will be in the coming decade. If he lives in a rural area with plenty of storage room for parts and parts cars, so much the better, and considering the relatively modest prices of these cars it may not be that expensive. Forum parts suppliers will also help.

Happy motoring Collin.

You may want to also look for a young mechanic that’s not just a parts swapper technician. You need to look for someone who knows how to make things and learn how they work.

Ultimately and eventually these cars will be so old that there will no longer be service parts readily and economically available to keep them up and running without some clever bit of re-engineering.

Not talking about today or tomorrow but looking forward twenty or thirty years from now when there is no one left who was around when these cars were actually made and driven.

Some of us love them for their antique technology as much as for their aesthetic qualities. The challenge of getting it all back up and running as originally designed and engineered.

Think about how many model A’s were made and how many you see on the road Sime 70 - 80 years after their ubiquitous existence.

What I love about Collin is his interest in something that can not be nostalgic for him.

That is the future.... and why I’m hoarding spares. Even for stupid Lean Burn systems.

You go Collin! And we’re here to help you and any mechanic you deem worthy.
X2... :thumbsup:

Finally got the headlight doors working again. Unhooked the battery and manually moved them down. After starting the car up again and pulling the knob they actually work again and the alarm buzzer doesn’t sound. I’m assuming they were just stuck. Now that they work (for now) I decided to take her out again.

FA1638D2-8BEF-4803-A8CF-B576E662B079.jpeg

758E0C6C-9C34-4F2D-977A-F6BFB573AA84.jpeg

1625C5FA-A936-49F7-A3E4-AD2CFFD0E518.jpeg

4D621C08-96F0-4216-9FA3-D229F0A4D18A.jpeg

I`ve read from OIC that the headlight covers may stuck if they have been used only scarcely.

Back