Safe? or not?

300rag

It's Not Going to Shift Itself
Reaction score
I'm sure U-haul would be impressed.

tie down.jpg

It's safe & over done. The Uhaul trailers are great. They strap to the front wheels & have chains. This guy was just being overly precautious, unless the trailer was used & missing the straps.

The one time I rented a U-Haul trailer I don't remember if they asked if I knew how to use it or strap down a car. You would think they would give you a quick lesson.

The straps normally go around the wheels, but even so, the trailered car can still bounce if not additionally strapped somehow. Some major league transporters use the roof strap for good measure, IF a rear frame strap is not used to tension the vehicle against the retention chain in the front of the vehicle's frame.

That trailer is too short for the length of car being hauled, which probably is why the displayed method of retention was used. On or in a normal 30' car trailer, the car would have been pulled onboard with an electric winch. Then the rear would have been tensioned with straps/chains at the rear of the car to the trailer floor.

Hope they had it in "Park"!

CBODY67

Probably some flatdeck trucker, right @70bigblockdodge ? :poke:
I would have only used one strap.
2" strap is good for 2250 working load limit, you secure for half the load #. Those things weigh about 4400# so one strap is good enough, besides who has time for all those straps.
The best way would be just throw a chain over and snap binder it down it will stay.:poke:

2" strap is good for 2250 working load limit, you secure for half the load #. Those things weigh about 4400# so one strap is good enough, besides who has time for all those straps.
The best way would be just throw a chain over and snap binder it down it will stay.:poke:
Ahh... I remember the days using chain binders to hold cars to trailers. What a PITA those things were. I used to tie off the handles so they didn't come unsnapped, but I knew guys that almost lost cars off trailers when they didn't get the chains right.

It was always especially interesting to screw with the chains and binders at night. If you'd had a good night and went to the end, you'd be loading the car just as they would be turning off the lights. Suddenly it would be pitch black and you're underneath the car trying to get a chain around the rear end and get it locked down so you can leave before they closed the gates.

Ratchet straps made things a lot easier!

Rafael-Nadal-Arm-Workout-LEP-Fitness-Sheffield-Nutrition.jpg

No that's what the cheater bar is for.
Ahh... I remember the days using chain binders to hold cars to trailers. What a PITA those things were. I used to tie off the handles so they didn't come unsnapped, but I knew guys that almost lost cars off trailers when they didn't get the chains right
I did carry a few when I was pulling a open flat (for super sack loads), but with a covered wagon they are impractical. They do work good for scrap cars, one at the bottom of the A piller and one at the C piller. Put the binder right up top and you don't even have to get on the ground.

Hope I am not behind him when the thing comes off the trailer. I did see a Camaro come off a transporter at 60 M.P.H. It was not pretty.

You don't have to toss straps?
I have a couple that I run over top the front and rear coils but everything I do is on the deck of the trailer. The only reason the side boards come out is because the crane does not go high enough and the operator needs to see to place it in the rack. Some places all I do is push cover over and move the bows.

Back