Filled my rebuilt engine with 6 quarts including filter and dipstick says 1 qt low.

I don't think the fact that it's been rebuilt would have any bearing on the oil level, unless the oil pan or dipstick have been changed.

Dipstick or tube is wrong.

After you fire it, and the oil filter gets filled, mark the dipstick.

There's no need to overfill a new engine.

I believe 6 quarts total for an early poly: 1956-1958; 6 quarts total: Poly 318 Engine Specifications - Poly318.com Capacity 1956 – 1958 with 5-quart Pan, 6 total with filter. This site has a lot of info on the 301-326 Poly. 326? Look it up... mark your dipstick after running the engine or find the correct DS and Tube.

when you drain the engine you dont always get it all out. with a fresh engine that starts out totally dry, its not unusual to have to put in a little more than you would on just an oil change.

Funny you should mention this, as I've just recently been having the opposite issue on cars that I've owned for over 20 years. 61 Chrysler 300G with 413 and 70 Hurst with 440.
The 61 has always taken 5 quarts, 6 with filter, while the 70 has always taken 4 quarts, 5 with filter (verified by the shop manuals). The last two oil/filter changes I've done on these cars, not all the old oil seems to come out through the drain plug in the pan plus removal of filter. When I put the new filters on and add the new oil, then run them to make sure I have oil pressure, the reading I get on the dipstick after letting the cars sit after the change shows above the Full line on the stick by at least 1/2 a quart or more? I've been doing oil and filter changes on these two cars since the late 1990's and never had this happen until the last two changes? Weird. I haven't changed my methodology or filter type, but I did change over to VR-1 20W50 to get the added zinc/ZDDP, but that shouldn't make any difference. The amount of old oil in the drain pan also seems to be less than I would expect to come out of the engine, compared to the level on the dipstick at the time of the oil change.

Funny you should mention this, as I've just recently been having the opposite issue on cars that I've owned for over 20 years. 61 Chrysler 300G with 413 and 70 Hurst with 440.
The 61 has always taken 5 quarts, 6 with filter, while the 70 has always taken 4 quarts, 5 with filter (verified by the shop manuals). The last two oil/filter changes I've done on these cars, not all the old oil seems to come out through the drain plug in the pan plus removal of filter. When I put the new filters on and add the new oil, then run them to make sure I have oil pressure, the reading I get on the dipstick after letting the cars sit after the change shows above the Full line on the stick by at least 1/2 a quart or more? I've been doing oil and filter changes on these two cars since the late 1990's and never had this happen until the last two changes? Weird. I haven't changed my methodology or filter type, but I did change over to VR-1 20W50 to get the added zinc/ZDDP, but that shouldn't make any difference. The amount of old oil in the drain pan also seems to be less than I would expect to come out of the engine, compared to the level on the dipstick at the time of the oil change.
That's weird. At some point you won't have to put any oil in!

Back