Sanden 508 top exit vs rear exit...

So Commando...what pulleys are you using? Is your crank pulley 2 or 4 groove? Water pump is 2 groove? Any pics of pulleys and how belts are routed? What length belt did you have to switch to? Thanks!! Looking close at your pic, I see how AC is routed I think, but not sure on pulleys. This is currently a non oem ac car, so have non ac pulleys.
You will need a 4 groove crank pulley. I have one I can sell you if you need it.

The stock set up has an idler pulley for the water pump when you have A/C. The Bouchelon double pulley solves that issue nicely by driving the power steering pump and water pump with the same belt, eliminating the idler.

The A/C and alternator are driven by a double belt from the 4 groove crank pulley. It looks like you have the right double alternator pulley. I believe the alternator bracket is the same, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I think I have the bracket too if you need it.

The ports need to point up on the compressor. I don't think they will clear the distributor if laid on their side.

I'll walk out to the garage and take some pics in a couple minutes.

Water pump and power steering belt. This is a Bouchelon double pulley.

orzTxjR.jpg

kziXKGp.jpg

KfhXz51.jpg

I love the double pulley for the water pump, my idler pulley kept loosing up on me so i bypassed it #thumbsup

Thanks for the pics BigJohn! Very, very helpful. I'm going to send you a PM about those parts.

Also thanks to all those that commented. Pulley's and belt routing was a concern. Now I see how it's done!!

Well, just placed orders for a original Sanden 508, new Vinatge Air Mark IV, new 14x22 condenser, used OEM AC bracket, and used OEM AC pulleys, new AC hose and dryer kit. Extra AC hose ends. Bulk head connector. Right around 800 bucks for everything. Went with a original Sanden versus a Sanden 'style'. Little more cash, but is a true Sanden...it better be!

Reading documents on Vintage Air, they show a binary switch, which I have, but no mention of a 'expansion valve' Do I need to put in an 'expansion valve'? VA install documents for the Mark IV don't show a expansion valve anywhere.

Have to get a AC hose crimp kit lastly.

Doing more research, expansion valve might be built into the Mark IV. Will email them to see.

edit...Mark IV has expansion valve built-in. Just reread instruction sheet.

Installmarkiv.JPG

Last edited:
Back