Seat belt mounting 67 Fury Vert.

67 ragtop

Reaction score
I am trying to mount my new seatbelts in my 67 Sport Fury convertible. I looked for a Tapped anchor plate in the sill beside the bucket seat (removed the carpet from under the sill plate and did not locate one. The coverage in the service manual is terrible, it states to look at the drawing. It looks on the drawing that it might be mounted to the bucket seat frame but that doesn't make sense . The drawing isn't clear at all for the Bucket seats. I located the ones for the rear seat.

On my '67 Newport CE23 with factory buckets, the outside seat belt mounting seems to be in the exact same location as it was on our '66 Newport Town Sedan, close to where the B-pillar is on the 4dr than anywhere forward of that. Pretty much near where the seat back happens for my leg length. With the factory retractor on the outside, the '66 has pock marks on the chrome plastic trim forward of the adjusting knob, from the buckle retracting and rattling around against the trim. I haven't looked, but it also might be possible that the outer mounting point is similar (in front-rear position) to where the inner belt mounts to the drive shaft hump behind the seat?

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Look toward the rear of the door opening, on the inside of the sill, just above the floor pan. Roughly where the seat back would be located.

65 Dodge. Approx 4 1/2" forward from the sheet metal screw which secures the sill plate . . .
20211219_133104.jpg

Thanks for all of the responses so far. I haven't gotten to my Garage yet. I think I was looking to far forward.

65 Dodge. Approx 4 1/2" forward from the sheet metal screw which secures the sill plate . . .
View attachment 503702
Still no luck I went all of the way from the front of the door to the rear seat and on the floor as well. On both the passenger and drivers side, I wonder if the last owner put a new floor pan in.
I am going to remove the seats as soon as I can get my brother over to assist. I need to lubricate the seat tracks anyway. It used to have seat belts because they were in t5he trunk. I bought new ones though as the belts were rotten and stiff.

I suspect that if the floorpan had been replaced, the outer seat belt anchors would not be in it, but in the rocker panel section the floorpan attaches to. That section would be a stronger mouting point, I suspect. Plus, unless they "covered their tracks" well enough, there should be some evidence of what might have been replaced, visible from the topside or bottomside of things. Typically, though, the entire floorpan would not be replaced in total, but parts of the whole instead. Just my suspicion . . .

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I verified today th oil for the first time since I bought it and the ey replaced a small section of the floor pan on each side between just behind the front seats. They didn't weld it in, instead they used sheet metal screws and sealant. I think the holes may still be there because they bent the sheet metal up over the sill to have a good place for the screws.
I am going to remove the screws and check if the hole and anchor plate are there and solid. I believe so because the frame there is very solid.
I plan on welding the sheet metal in it is ribbed . I am finding that the partial restoration at a professional restoration shop was not very good.
I went to change the oil for the first time since I bought it and I had to use an Impact to remove the drain plug. You know the drill if it leaks don't change the washer just tighten it more.

You might get a small hammer and do a "tap test" on the rocker panels to check for weak areas. This way, you might know if you should put the car on jackstands on a known level piece of ground BEFORE you start taking screws out. It might also be that the "sealant" is really structural bonding adhesive. Many modern vehicles use such aircraft-grade structural bonding adhesive to put on center roof panel sections and such No welding needed. The evolving key question might be "Why" these patches were needed? So get the car on that level surface (no suspension deflection allowed!) before taking anything off or apart. A unibody vehicle convertible might well have some body-strengthening additions that a sedan body might not, BUT it is still not like a body/frame car either.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back