Rear Seat Belt Help

mgm1986

Reaction score
Looking to install seat belts in my '68 300 Convertible. None were installed in the car so I don't know what I should be looking to add. Should there be two or three seat belts (I prefer three)? And what are the appropriate anchors to use?

Option A:

2 Point Lift Latch Seat Belts | SeatbeltPlanet

Snap Hook Seat Belt Mounting Bolt Kit | SeatbeltPlanet

Option B:

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30498119-2-point-lap-seat-belt-lift-latch-buckle.html

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30498147-hardware-kit-2.html

Last question, what length is "standard" for the rear seat application?

Thank you!

Seat Belt Anchor Holes.jpg

Three belts was standard.

I just put 60" belts in my '65 and they'll fit anyone that can crawl into the back seat.

Option B is better (IMHO) but I would use regular Chrysler bolts (IIRC 7/16-20) as they have a shoulder that the belt bracket would ride on. No nuts, just use the existing threaded plates in the floor.

1701365589166.png

I emailed Vans on ebay to see what they think. If not I may make a trip to the hardware store and see if I can find a grade 5 bolt that threads into the floor and has the appropriate shoulder.

You might also look at the rear seat belt items which bolt to the bottom of the seat cushion onto which the seat belt buckles can be attached to keep everything neat and such. I believe they were on like '68 or so Dodge Coronets? They should fit anything they will bolt onto. They should be in repro, I believe.

Seat belts were required in ANY potential seating location, which would be three in the back, even on the narrower convertible rear seats. Many times, the center belts were left "stored" under the rear seat cushion, although attached to the seat belt bolts, from the factory.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I'll add this to the list and keep an eye out for a good pair. I recall having them on the Fury and I did appreciate having them.

Got three seat belts delivered from Seat Belt Planet and they seem to be of great quality. Now the problem I have is I cannot find the outer seat belt mounting points.

It looks like someone replaced the floor pan at some point and I cannot locate the outer holes through the floor. I looked in the FSM I have but wasn't able to deduce where the outer mounting location is in a convertible.

Anyone have a picture or illustration of how the belts mount on the convertible? Specifically the outer mounting location.

In the picture below you can see the two threaded holes I can find.
Seat Belt Anchor Holes.jpg

Well shoot, that was my fear. Thanks for confirming and for the pictures, Alan! I'll confirm but from what I recall these holes don't exist. My best guess is the floor was replaced with one designed for a hardtop which probably had shoulder belts so no outer holes. Might need to start drilling and fabricating a backing plate.

Drilling holes in the floor is not something I look forward too.

I found the original mounting plates for the outer seat belt attachments. When the floor was replaced they didn't account for these mounts and just covered them up.

The passenger side bolt was still installed but they cut the head off and installed the floor pan over top. Now the fun begins trying to remove the stud they left installed.

The driver side outer mount had no bolt so that should be as simple as drilling a pilot hole from underneath and then drilling a larger hole to expose the threaded mount.

Thanks again for your help finding these, I wasn't excited about drilling a hole in the metal without some kind of reference.

Back