Seen while surfing, CHP Polara

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Just a semi-interesting link...

http://kumhyr.com/topics/david/ponch/

P1209434.JPG

I've always thought preserved or restored old cop cars were cool but now I really have a stronger appreciation for them after hanging out here

He's got the coolio white steering wheel ... why did they have white steering wheels Cop Car guys?

Ahhh ... my guess was reduced heat absorption / more reflective than black.

wiring.JPG

You got it...over the years I've been told that's a CHP only item

The part about CHP only is what I thought .. read that here. I like unique things like that .. and the A/C shut off switch, but the white steering wheels in those CHP cars are really neat

Sometimes local police would tack there new cruiser order onto a bigger agency like the C.H.P. to save money, and the cars would have most of the same options.

... why did they have white steering wheels Cop Car guys?
Ahhh ... my guess was reduced heat absorption / more reflective than black.

That was the reason, I say it was because they were cool!

You got it...over the years I've been told that's a CHP only item

That is what I have always understood.

The part about CHP only is what I thought .. read that here. I like unique things like that .. and the A/C shut off switch, but the white steering wheels in those CHP cars are really neat

No AC shutoff switch on CHP cars (that I know of)
Specials (not parts of standard Police Package cars):
White steering wheel with full horn ring.
Relocated Spare (convertible location)
HD Rear shocks
HD Lower Radiator Hose
Screw Clamps on all hoses
Fully welded exhaust
Reinforcement plate for siren mounting
Sound hole for siren

Sometimes local police would tack there new cruiser order onto a bigger agency like the C.H.P. to save money, and the cars would have most of the same options.

Not most, all. Starting in 69 the CHP ordered all their cars the same way, if another agency wanted one they got the same package.

Alan

. I like unique things like that .. and the A/C shut off switch, ...t

I have one of those. It's called AutoTemp. Haven't found the turn-on switch, though...

Not most, all. Starting in 69 the CHP ordered all their cars the same way, if another agency wanted one they got the same package.

Alan

That's still very common in public purchasing. The competitive bidding that is designed to prevent fraud based on favoritism is complex and expensive. One way to reduce the difficulty is to have thresholds, below which informal quotes can be used. Another way is to piggyback on a larger agency's order. In case anybody was wondering, that's why Alan keeps saying things like, "that was a CHP package car, but may not have actually gone in service with the CHP" or similar.

Marin County Sheriff car. Ivory wheel, rear defogger, I'm adding these two options to the WSP car.72Polaras032.jpg

72Polaras032.jpg

Here in Jersey you can go to a dealer that has a state contract, which in turn eliminates the hassle of getting bids and you order it the way you want. Speaking as a municipality of course

That is a genuine CHP car, unit 5081, same factory assembly date as mine (5/30). A recent "restoration".

Alan

Why do you put that in quotation marks?
To me it isn't a restoration, it isn't either Factory stock or as equipped by CHP or as delivered to CHP. Its resto-mod, street machine, hot rod, etc.... (did I say it also has a stroker engine as well). Don’t get me wrong I like the car and this was the very look I was going for when I first got the idea of getting a retired police car, that was 30 years ago before I saw one restore to police specs (about 10 years ago), then I was totally sold on a speced out car.

I guess the term restoration is liberally used, I feel to restore a car is to put it back to some state, typically like original.

Taking a rusty old 32 Ford and making a highboy roadster isn’t a restoration.

Alan

PS that car was originaly a Black & White

Taking a rusty old 32 Ford and making a highboy roadster isn’t a restoration.

Alan

PS that car was originaly a Black & White

Totally. But on the other hand, he didn't make a highboy out of it. Nuts and bolts perfect restoration on one hand, highboy on the other. Slippery slope in the middle.

Totally. But on the other hand, he didn't make a highboy out of it. Nuts and bolts perfect restoration on one hand, highboy on the other. Slippery slope in the middle.

Only because he kept the fenders on it.

Cool car, just not sure what to call it.

Alan

I agree with Alan.
It looks very nice but isn't going straight in one direction.
It missing all the moldings on the side, paint sheme is not as it left the plant and it isn't done as CHP car.
But again it looks very nice.

I have to shut up anyway as my CHP still looks (is) original on the outside but has a stroker engine, too

Carsten

Back