She’s ready for a drivetrain!

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not to brag or anything… but I think this car is beginning to look pretty DANG GOOD if I’d say so myself! Very proud of the progress that’s been taking place on this 68. A striking difference now versus how it looked when I bought it.

C8B7CFD0-5C26-446E-9EBC-CC2E41A747A7.jpeg

E76F665C-E8E3-44B8-8138-9016BFD658A8.jpeg

3A0EA40B-7161-4FB8-A784-4AEA26971AD2.jpeg

I decided to do a stock rebuild on the 440, since this girl is just a cruiser. I didn’t know much about engine building when I had this done over a year ago. If I knew then what I did now, I would have had the factory heads ported for optimum air flow, and based off those flow numbers - choose a nice cam to wake her up a bit. Nothing radical, just what would play nice with how much air the heads can flow. Regardless, that 440 is a monster in and of itself and I know she’ll have a lot of get up and go!

Here’s a reminder of how crusty this thing was when I first took it apart.

7D36EB5A-D52E-49E5-AFFA-8744AE4675BA.jpeg

E1424EE6-1D32-4865-AF57-04E04D208DF4.jpeg

D71F7B89-3D3F-4440-8FFF-F4EF4701A3E7.jpeg

F649A8E3-655D-49CE-A413-42E2112D6E3B.jpeg

Great progress Isaiah, give us some details as to what all you did. Obviously a good cleaning and power wash, did you paint or Powder Coat? Also did you reuse the front drums or did you do a disc conversion? Come on Isaiah, get with the program. Lol

Great progress!

By observation, there should be no real need "to wake things up a bit" as stock is pretty "awake" as it is. Increased air flow in the heads will not magically make huge power increases, just modest ones at rpm levels you'll very seldom use. But cleaning up basic casting flash and such, plus gasket matching, can be good to do.

Keep up the good work!

CBODY67

Looks great! Some real progress there. I'm wondering why you choose to have the brake lines where they are, rather than in the stock position close to the frame.

Last edited:
Great progress Isaiah, give us some details as to what all you did. Obviously a good cleaning and power wash, did you paint or Powder Coat? Also did you reuse the front drums or did you do a disc conversion? Come on Isaiah, get with the program. Lol

Thank you so much! I actually did the frame before I even owned a power washer, would have been a LOT easier! I scrubbed that thing for like a week with a wire brush, air sanding tools and by hand in hard to reach places. Then, I used a powerful degreaser as a last step and a good wipe down / scuff before paint. I had contemplated powder coat, but decided to go with Rustoleum Canyon Black (satin.) I was VERY skeptical at first, but a friend of a friend is a car restorer himself and he uses it on his frames and engine compartments. They have held up against the wear and tear over the years, and best of all - it is very easy to touch up areas that may have gotten nicked or scratched!

Initially, I did rebuild the drum brakes - but as time went by I started thinking of real life scenarios. I was actually in a car accident last December also, and totaled my truck. It really got me thinking of how I want this car to be safe, and comfortable to drive. Thanks to the forums I was able to do a '69-'72 disc brake conversion! I was really going after the '73 conversion with bigger spindles for more popular rotors, but they proved really hard to find. I rebuilt the braking system myself, save for the '65-'68 Bendix brake booster which I had Booster Dewey rebuild. It brings me good peace of mind knowing she'll be able to stop on the dime if ever I'm in a emergency stop situation!

Great progress!

By observation, there should be no real need "to wake things up a bit" as stock is pretty "awake" as it is. Increased air flow in the heads will not magically make huge power increases, just modest ones at rpm levels you'll very seldom use. But cleaning up basic casting flash and such, plus gasket matching, can be good to do.

Keep up the good work!

CBODY67

Very true! Another reason why I felt I should just leave this motor as is:) Thanks for your continued support and encouraging comments!

Looks great! Some real progress there. I'm wondering why you choose to have the brake lines where they are, rather than in the stock position close to the frame.

Thank you! The brake lines are actually just pulled up and out of the way for now, they will go back to their factory position when I button things up real soon.

1658676403974.png

Here is a pic of the new, upgraded disc brake system using 1972 components. Rebuilt the calipers myself, and sand blasted / painted everything else. Oh yeah, also have Firm Feel tubular control arms on now too! Was lucky, and got everything as a complete kit (except the brake booster) from a fellow member of this forum.

That stock 440 will have plenty of go. Porting and bigger cam can hurt bottom end, then you need a converter and gears and that can hurt cruising and drivability.

That stock 440 will have plenty of go. Porting and bigger cam can hurt bottom end, then you need a converter and gears and that can hurt cruising and drivability.
Good point! Thanks for the info, always happy to be learning more.

Not to brag or anything… but I think this car is beginning to look pretty DANG GOOD if I’d say so myself! Very proud of the progress that’s been taking place on this 68. A striking difference now versus how it looked when I bought it.

View attachment 546549
View attachment 546548
View attachment 546547

I decided to do a stock rebuild on the 440, since this girl is just a cruiser. I didn’t know much about engine building when I had this done over a year ago. If I knew then what I did now, I would have had the factory heads ported for optimum air flow, and based off those flow numbers - choose a nice cam to wake her up a bit. Nothing radical, just what would play nice with how much air the heads can flow. Regardless, that 440 is a monster in and of itself and I know she’ll have a lot of get up and go!

Here’s a reminder of how crusty this thing was when I first took it apart.

View attachment 546551
View attachment 546552
View attachment 546554
View attachment 546556
Looking good there!

And you were thinking of selling it! Nice job Isaiah, it's looking great.
Thank you! Oh yeah, the future wife was less than thrilled at the idea of selling this NY’er LOL.

Awesome, way to be! I can't wait to see this thing on the road in the ear future....

Thanks pal!! I forget that there are other C Bodies local to me… I’d really like to see how this baby would do on the grade. We have some friends up in Paso, might be nice to take it up there. Has disc brakes and everything so I think she’d do fine !

Moving along nicely and looks good, but I gotta ask. What made you choose to do the firewall in black instead of keeping it body colour?

Moving along nicely and looks good, but I gotta ask. What made you choose to do the firewall in black instead of keeping it body colour?

It was a hard decision, and I really wouldn’t have preferred it myself… but this car is never going to be a full “show” car (¿maybe someday?) It’s just going to be a REALLY clean cruiser. My idea behind flat black, is the fact that it is easy to touch up in case anything ever gets messed up. Another thing too, is that it will showcase how beautiful that rebuilt and dressed up 440 is going to look!!! Here’s what it looks like so far… Seam sealed and painted in satin black.

Also, I can’t decide on a body color QUITE yet, so I am going to wet sand, buff and polish the paint and seal it with clear coat to preserve the original PP1 paint for now! It will be a nice “work in progress.” I’m going to paint the roof in silver most likely and give her a attitude height adjustment … I’m a big fan of the 70s lowered look with a slight rake. Not too radical but just to set the theme just right for this!

Nice work Isaiah and you should be proud! You have done a great job and I am looking forward to watch your progress, so please keep those pictures coming.
Reading about your progress is a refreshing change of pace, plus nice to see a young man as yourself taking the initiative and diving in head first.
The hard work and time you are investing in your ride shows you have a strong desire. Thank you for getting here back on the road, where she belongs.

Thanks pal!! I forget that there are other C Bodies local to me… I’d really like to see how this baby would do on the grade. We have some friends up in Paso, might be nice to take it up there. Has disc brakes and everything so I think she’d do fine !

Our numbers are small but that just makes our cars more special.....

It would handle the grade no problem.

Back