Should I buy this 67 New Yorker?

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Howdy fellas and fell-ettes. Once again, ANOTHER car has come into my radar, and I can't decide if I should buy the car and get into another re-commissioning, or just pass on it.

It's a 67 New Yorker, ONE OWNER NO ****, 4-door hardtop. The owner passed away 2 months ago at 96 rest his soul. His son is 70, and has no interest in the car, but he does have reverence for his Dad's pride-and-joy. I saw the car today. I got it started and we took a drive. Body is straight, underbody is super clean as Florida cars tend to be. Engine bay will need the usual pumps/wires/hoses/plugs/etc after it has sat for a while (less than a year). Brakes worked but will need rehabbed of course.

The interior is a letdown. Seat foams are dead, carpet is shot, and there is delaminating of the faux wood trims on the dash, as well and the usual pitting of the chrome bits, which could be cleaned up of course. I guess the bottom line is.....do I have the chutzpah to take on another refurbishment of a New Yorker after I've just (almost) completed the 65 NYer (see engine photo of that car) ?
Do I need two 4-door New Yorkers? Could I do the mechanical rehab and just flip the car for a modest profit, given that the 4-door C-bodies aren't exactly split-window Corvettes?

The final piece of the puzzle is this: I think I could by this car for under $3000. I do apologize that I didn't take any photos while I was there today, these two pics came from someone else. I know the Scandinavians like these big Detroit barges, does anyone have a connection to those folks?

Thanks for any advice/encouragement you might have.

Rich

Tony's NY 2.jpg

Tony's NY 1.jpg

113_0700.JPG

The seat foam is more of an age issue than not. Which might also mean the interior fabrics can be a bit fragile, too. BTAIM

In one respect, IF you can buy it "right", pledging to treat it well with respect to its former owner, then do it. THEN put it in safe storage for several months as other things play out.

From my experience with the '66 CL42 and my '67 CE23, as near alike as the cars might be mechanically, they will most probably have a different feel to them. So, it will not be like having two identical cars.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thank you CBODY67. I guess if I had unlimited storage storage and funds (and energy and cartilage) I'd be game for saving them all.

This is as good a place as any to get this car on the radar screens of our European friends.

That's a beautiful New Yorker!! I think you and I are both partiai to the 67's! A one owner doesn't come by hardly ever anymore, I'd say go for it and slowly fix her up as you enjoy it. I have a mint radio face plate it's woodgrain so it's from a New Yorker, if you buy the car let me know and I'll send it to you

Should you decide not to buy it I would be interested in it. You can PM me or reach me on here.

Thanks, Eric

It looks pretty clean "from here." and will make a perfect starting point, especially if you get it in the $3k neighborhood. What color is the interior? It was surprisingly easy to get replacement fabric for my '67 NY'er (see photo), so don't let THAT stop you......

FrontSeatsLEFT.png

That car is hot! Seems like a no brainer to me. Interior is semi easy to deal with. Straight body is what counts and that car is sexy especially for $3k

Thanks Steve-o,

Well, for me it's a bit more nuanced. Sure, it's a straight body and a great story. And no offense to anyone, but if it had been a 2-door, then yes I'd have scooped it up, no question. But as I mentioned, I am just coming off a 6-month recommissioning of my 65 NYer 4-door 6-window Town Sedan.

So I know what kind of work and money it's gonna take to get the car back to roadworthy shape. Could I flip it? I'd consider doing that after making sure all the mechanicals were safe, which would have me putting a fair amount of work and money into the car. Could I get my money back? That is a big question. Plus, I'm not in the business of flipping cars anyway.

I guess it boils down to timing: If this car had come along back in August, I'd just be wrapping up a rehab on it instead of the '65 about now. So, someone else will be rehabbing this 67, and they'll love it.

113_0691.JPG

113_0692.JPG

113_0694.JPG

113_0696.JPG

It looks pretty clean "from here." and will make a perfect starting point, especially if you get it in the $3k neighborhood. What color is the interior? It was surprisingly easy to get replacement fabric for my '67 NY'er (see photo), so don't let THAT stop you......

View attachment 518249
Looks like parchment color they had some years

Howdy fellas and fell-ettes. Once again, ANOTHER car has come into my radar, and I can't decide if I should buy the car and get into another re-commissioning, or just pass on it.

It's a 67 New Yorker, ONE OWNER NO ****, 4-door hardtop. The owner passed away 2 months ago at 96 rest his soul. His son is 70, and has no interest in the car, but he does have reverence for his Dad's pride-and-joy. I saw the car today. I got it started and we took a drive. Body is straight, underbody is super clean as Florida cars tend to be. Engine bay will need the usual pumps/wires/hoses/plugs/etc after it has sat for a while (less than a year). Brakes worked but will need rehabbed of course.

The interior is a letdown. Seat foams are dead, carpet is shot, and there is delaminating of the faux wood trims on the dash, as well and the usual pitting of the chrome bits, which could be cleaned up of course. I guess the bottom line is.....do I have the chutzpah to take on another refurbishment of a New Yorker after I've just (almost) completed the 65 NYer (see engine photo of that car) ?
Do I need two 4-door New Yorkers? Could I do the mechanical rehab and just flip the car for a modest profit, given that the 4-door C-bodies aren't exactly split-window Corvettes?

The final piece of the puzzle is this: I think I could by this car for under $3000. I do apologize that I didn't take any photos while I was there today, these two pics came from someone else. I know the Scandinavians like these big Detroit barges, does anyone have a connection to those folks?

Rich

View attachment 518073

View attachment 518074

View attachment 518075
At the looks of the engine, if it is as good as it looks, it might be worth the $3000 they are asking. Is it a 440 as would have been stock for that year?

That engine photo is the bay of my '65 New Yorker. It's a 413. The by of the '67 New Yorker wasn't that clean!

Rich

View attachment 518073

View attachment 518074

View attachment 518075
Jeez Louise! For $3,000 if you don't want it, I'll take it! It'd look great alongside my 66 Newport! BTW Norwegian/Swedish descent here hahahaha!

Rich

View attachment 518073

View attachment 518074

View attachment 518075
WOW!! Wish I could find something like that closer to Michigan!

Thanks Steve-o,

Well, for me it's a bit more nuanced. Sure, it's a straight body and a great story. And no offense to anyone, but if it had been a 2-door, then yes I'd have scooped it up, no question. But as I mentioned, I am just coming off a 6-month recommissioning of my 65 NYer 4-door 6-window Town Sedan.

So I know what kind of work and money it's gonna take to get the car back to roadworthy shape. Could I flip it? I'd consider doing that after making sure all the mechanicals were safe, which would have me putting a fair amount of work and money into the car. Could I get my money back? That is a big question. Plus, I'm not in the business of flipping cars anyway.

I guess it boils down to timing: If this car had come along back in August, I'd just be wrapping up a rehab on it instead of the '65 about now. So, someone else will be rehabbing this 67, and they'll love it.

View attachment 518716

View attachment 518717

View attachment 518718

View attachment 518719

I think you oughta sell yer '65 and go all out on the '67. As nice as your '65 is, that New Yorker is a more desirable four-door.

I believe our fellow forum member Wildbunch02 has made a deal on the car.

Back