Shouldn't Have .. But I Did

I would suggest the red centers for covers. Unless you got really lucky and found some of the blacks from an LTD.

1167797_7745448523008573440_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=tFSRGon5y0oAX8qSJkb&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

No, not remotely my plan for a virtually 100% original truck. Refinish exterior, wheels and tires changing, adding giddy-up features, but nothing else :)

I have several late '60s-early '70s FE 385 series mills (CJs, one SCJ, ThunderJets, PIs etc) C6s, and 9 inchers in the shed that would make for a real stump puller if I ever were to consider it .. but i digress (i still got a bus to do).

I like this truck tho - has the "Ranger" option package. It would be kinda cool and a hoot to drive. Good mix of vintage and new without debasing the vintage looks, and they kept the powertrain mods in the Ford family, Cragars which would have been around back then, etc.

Appears to have been sold to Canada eh?

source: 1968 Ford F100 428 CJ Pickup

Seller Description when for sale. Price probably in the low $20s, but I dunno for sure

3,000 miles since restored... Excellent new dual stage repaint in Black with beautiful new Dark Red vinyl interior.... Fully restored condition...

Frame off restoration of a rust free truck about three years ago. When restored, a 428 Cora Jet V-8 was installed, making this vehicle and extremely fast, completely restored truck ready for its new owner to enjoy...

This truck has an excellent new dual stage repaint in Black. All chrome was stripped for a proper repaint. Beautiful new Dark Red vinyl interior showing no wear since completion. Excellent dash, door panels, new carpet and headliner. This pickup is a real head turner... Excellent new or original chrome & stainless.

This lovely truck has been well cared for by its prior owners and will look great in your garage...

AMAZING FRAME OFF RESTORED ROCKET SHIP.

Facts:
• 100% accident free, rust free sheet metal
• Beautiful dual stage repaint in Black
• New Dark Red vinyl interior & door panels
• Original dash with new carpet
• Excellent chrome and soft trim throughout
• Rebuilt 428 Cobra Jet V-8 engine & 4BBL carb
• Rebuilt C-6 automatic transmission
• Brand new dual exhaust
• Power steering & brakes
• Original AM radio - new CD stereo in the glove box
• Olds School look Cragars and new white letter radial tires
Untitled 5E.png
Untitled 5EEE.png
Untitled 5AAA.png
Untitled 5F.png
Untitled 5EE.png

1968 F100 "Explorer" Special model .. yeah, same name endures today. no, no white walls in my future :)

I like these caps (had police interceptors with them) .. they polish up real nice too.

now that i know 1968s had them from factory (fd-42 in post #77), combined with a THIN stainless ring and RWL (275/60s) like #78, with deep black wheels too (15x8s), i am startin' to feel it.

View attachment 347953 View attachment 347954

Those are nice. Here are my 65-66 chrome hub caps. Mine is a Custom Cab so I could have put on the full covers as they would have come on a Custom Cab or Ranger. However, finding the full cover with the red center is excellent condition is very tough. My current hub caps were all NOS and cheap as I got them more than a decade ago.

IMG_5111.JPG

If you were wanting to update to power steering, disc brakes and a 385 429 or 460, all the frame mounts, steering box and disc spindles will swap from any 70's 460 F150 directly.

I had a 65 F100 we put a 429 in and the frame mounts from a 77 bolted in, no drilling required. I've had more trouble swapping a 440 into a 318 Cbody than putting that 429 in where one was never available before. F model frames were basically unchanged from 65 to 79.

Kevin

Update:

I wasnt there for this. Guys took it outta my project building to do this, then put it back

The old 390 (sitting since 1994) sat in Marvel Mystery Oil for a week, oil change, coolant flush & fill, plugs, wires, points/condenser. etc. Compression in 3 of 8 cylinders on low side

After 10 mins of horsing around it started. Rough for a minute, puff of blue, then mostly black, shut down.. Fuel flow good after carb adjust. No blue smoke at restart, high rev pat of accelerator and let off, a mix of black and blue smoke.

Ran hot but didnt boil over. DID lose water pump later

Shifted good, but clutch stiff. 3.25 open diff. Brakes soft but stopped her ok.

Mechanical plans include obvious brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, clean gas tank, water pump, etc. Gonna try to run around with current engine, but will rebuild clutch tho.

Debating. I have a mildly built '70 460 out of a Lincoln - high compression, slippery rotating assy, etc. that could go in fast OR, build uup the existing 390 per original plan.

Existing mill has got to come out for paint/body anyway. There's time to decide.

Wheels/tires shown I am gonna go with. Had the 235/70 & 275/60 tires in inventory, wheels (mounted once) I like and found in 5x5.5/15 on craigslist so minimal investment, 15x8 front, 15x10 rear.

OE tire (8.25x15) was today's equivalent of at 225/75-15. So, about 28 inch diameter but skinny. Much bigger tires can fit the back (33x12.5), maybe 30x9.5 in front. I dont wanna use mudders. May consider all-terrain models later.

Rear bumper is like 2" higher than front. Truck has coil-over adjustable shocks with the leafs. I gotta look at that. I am told this baby "bounces" on the road.

I am keeping 15 inch wheels. Old wheels shown, thinner wheels are original, rears 15x8 but do NOT appear to be a Ford brand and do NOT have "dog ears" on outside for 10 1/2 inch caps

Anyway, my guys are "sheltering in place" in WNY. Very little progress being made. NONE on my bus for now

20200329_160559.jpg
20200329_160923.jpg

20200329_160611.jpg
20200329_160742.jpg

20200329_160632.jpg
20200329_160657.jpg
20200329_160841.jpg
20200329_165359.jpg
20200329_165411.jpg
20200329_165423.jpg

Last edited:
quiick update: its been a couple years so we got back after it a few months ago.

she's running around pretty good now - all the mechanicals are done.

I decided to leave the "patina" (though I do have to patch a couple places on the cab/front of the bed. I am waffling .. but everybody (no kidding --everybody) who sees it says leave it alone .meaning DONT paint the truck.

smooth things out on the sheet metal areas., clear-coat or rubbing compound/wheel/wax the whole truck basically "as is". not a patina fan but if we go the low cost rubbing compound/wheel/wax route and see how it turns out seems way to go.

This is the long bed model ..about 4 1/2 feet wide, 8 feet long. There was a wood floor (that was already replaced once) that was pretty rough. all the metal -- even the "slats" -- should clean up pretty good

So I am gonna replace the bed floor/put excellent finish on the wood, after we clean it/frame up.

Anybody know a reputable outfit that supplies pre-cut wood floors for these old pickups, or do I gotta find somebody good with wood products?

UntitledEE2ccc12812Hx.png

Last edited:
Seems like Bruce Horkey was a supplier for ready-done wood? I believe he had Chevy/GMC wood, not sure about anything else, though. Might be some links in the older pickup restoration vendor websites?

Seems like Bruce Horkey was a supplier for ready-done wood? I believe he had Chevy/GMC wood, not sure about anything else, though. Might be some links in the older pickup restoration vendor websites?
From Mr. Horkey's website ...

1655293674148.png

This was on his "Ford" tab on the website .. seems tp the a different model year but has similar appearence - metal slat/wood/metal slat, etc., - of what I was thinking for my truck..

His website indicates he was (is still maybe) behind due to COVID issues, but still somebody to check out.

I gotta think about bed overall with the patina thing. I dont wanna paint/liner-coat it.

This will never again under my ownership be an "outdoor" truck, but I do expect it to be able to do a little work .. so we gotta do something to protect the metal/wood in the bed from the elements/carrying stuff in the bed.

thanks @CBODY67

:thumbsup:

couple more examples: a '63, '64' and '69 F-100 where they redid the sllats/wood, kept patina in the bed/entire truck.

UntitledEE2ccc12812AA.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812AAAA.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812AAA.png

Last edited:
quiick update: its been a couple years so we got back after it a few months ago.

she's running around pretty good now - all the mechanicals are done.

I decided to leave the "patina" (though I do have to patch a couple places on the cab/front of the bed. I am waffling .. but everybody (no kidding --everybody) who sees it says leave it alone .meaning DONT paint the truck.

smooth things out on the sheet metal areas., clear-coat or rubbing compound/wheel/wax the whole truck basically "as is". not a patina fan but if we go the low cost rubbing compound/wheel/wax route and see how it turns out seems way to go.

This is the long bed model ..about 4 1/2 feet wide, 8 feet long. There was a wood floor (that was already replaced once) that was pretty rough. all the metal -- even the "slats" -- should clean up pretty good

So I am gonna replace the bed floor/put excellent finish on the wood, after we clean it/frame up.

Anybody know a reputable outfit that supplies pre-cut wood floors for these old pickups, or do I gotta find somebody good with wood products?

View attachment 537766
Maybe @detmatt can make something for you.

Maybe @detmatt can make something for you.
no doubt @detmatt could do it (brother's got "mad" skills with wood, if he had time, etc.) and in fact did some interior accessory pieces for 4903 (Buffalo bus) for me.

It looks like a lotta people have bed "kits" though .. i am NOT sure there are many though for LONG BED/FLARE sides. That may not make any difference to wood people used to dealing with dimensional attributes all the time .. just may need to be a "special order".

Thanks gents! I am quite busy but do let me know if there’s any way that I can help.:thumbsup:

Finishing up my work on this one. Mechanicals are good now, new dual exhaust, exiting behind the rear wheels, with mellow turbo mufflers, working on the bed wood floor as "tall pole in the tent".

Have elected to go with a "patina" look first for exterior. If you look back at post #35 and #55, I threw out the question for opinions, had ruled it out, but then decided to try it.

20200329_160559.jpg
20200329_160923.jpg
20200329_160657.jpg
20200329_160841.jpg

After metal-patching the cab in a 2 inch square area, we are going to go with a good rubbing compound buff up, then clear over everything. Trying to get it done before Thanksgiving 2022.

I was also inspired by a local guy's '65 D200 (he's selling it .. I am NOT a buyer, though I do like it) --- great mechanicals/clear over patina. I think it looks cool -- even cooler in person.

00L0L_cMj1089FdQEz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
00s0s_kLvTe6mJhanz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
00S0S_dylsBLbfh5Kz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
00s0s_9yDLixN7hprz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
00t0t_7Pnhq2fEsobz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

patina here's on patina'd dodges my 64 some old lady added some patina to the passenger side , and my 61 d200 flatbed had some patina added to the passenger side , yes another gal that can't drive .

DSC00898.JPG

DSC00899.JPG

DSC01467.JPG

DSC09262.JPG

DSC09263.JPG

DSC01539.JPG

DSC01750.JPG

DSC01751.JPG

DSC03680.JPG

DSC01125.JPG

Back