Side window adhesive

Franklin Thomas

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Newport
The glass came loose from the frame on my left rear window
The rubber is still in the frame and appears to be in decent shape
What is the best adhesive to use to glue the window back into the frame?
Any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I suspect that if you look in the FSM, it might not mention any adhesive per se. "Glass tape" was used do wedge and adhere to the glass and regulator channel. That is probably the "rubber" you see in there. If you use any "adhesive", this could be the last time that glass might be installed into the regulator.

Unless you install new "glass tape" in the channel, you might use a thin layer of windshield urethane for lube and adhesion?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thank you
After posting I looked up generic ways to do that and that’s exactly what they said to use a rubber tape
Just came back from Summit Racing. I live near Akron Ohio
Gotta roll that rubber tape
That makes perfect sense the way that it is installed
One says to use kerosene to lube that for installation
and that makes perfect sense also
Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it.

Thank you
After posting I looked up generic ways to do that and that’s exactly what they said to use a rubber tape
Just came back from Summit Racing. I live near Akron Ohio
Gotta roll that rubber tape
That makes perfect sense the way that it is installed
One says to use kerosene to lube that for installation
and that makes perfect sense also
Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it.
Yeah, not kerosene on the Glass side just on the channel side

One of the unexpected things I like about the Summit warehouse sales floor is the section of "supporting items" they have. I'm close to the Arlington, TX location and walked the floor looking at all of the stuff that was on the floor, one day we were there for a car show. I expected the lubes, oils, and such, but was blown away by the nuts. bolts, trinkets, etc. they had there. Things which only a few auto supplies used to have in stock in prior decades. Or things you had to know where to look for to find in a pre-Internet/social media world. Don't forget about their "Clearance" section where "demo" items or returned items are packed for discounted sale prices!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I just did this on my 67 Imperial HT. used the 1/32 inch tape from Restoration Specialties. I had to first clean out the channel. It had hardened tape / rubber. I scraped it out with a razor blade and then used acetone to clean the channel. Worked fine. You can find good videos on Utube.

I guess the question should’ve been does anyone know if a 1966 Newport two door quarter glass and a 1966 convertible quarter glass are the same

Back