Six Days On The Road/What A Long Strange Trip It's Been

To be more specific, the black 63-69 plates had the 63 in the right well up into the last plates, some of the last black plates did not have the 63 on them. In that time you got a sticker each year that was good for that year.

In 1976 they went to the month system and were issued the month that the car was purchased.

Alan

To be more specific, the black 63-69 plates had the 63 in the right well up into the last plates, some of the last black plates did not have the 63 on them. In that time you got a sticker each year that was good for that year.

In 1976 they went to the month system and were issued the month that the car was purchased.

Alan
I learned a lot from your thread, but didn't notice the year in the corner.

Cool trip. You hit all the high spots. Started on the "Hastings Cut-off" route to SL City, which didn't work out for the Donner Wagon Party, but you avoided the Sierra-Nevada. My first drive from Atlanta to LA was similar. First time in LA, but everything was deja-vu. I had seen every scene before, but in a movie.

When I see photos of people doing extensive rust repair in the northeast or Europe, I think just save years of work and buy a rust-free AZ or CA car and make a vacation of flying out and driving it home. You used to be able to find them cheap, but now it takes more work. Soon after my 1991 move to SoCal, I bought my 1965 Newport for $800. I was amazed to look behind the rear bumper and the bolts and brackets looked new, w/ not a spot of rust even on unpainted suspension parts. As soon as you can, paint all the areas where the factory did a half-@ss job, like top insides of the doors and other hidden inner areas. The outer ends of the lower control arms weren't even painted, just dipped in wax.

Back