Six Days On The Road/What A Long Strange Trip It's Been

Got these today, I'll get some rubber in a couple/few weeks.

View attachment 174330

They've been dustless blasted, but I was told I'd have to pressure wash them to get the grit out of them. That's not dustless. Clean them and spray some flat clear?

Next up is buying a windshield, or 2. Then exhaust.
Those are sweet, what brand?

Scott did you see this pic posted on FB Mopar page at recent car show? What do you think or make of these rims?
View attachment 174337
Is that around us? Wheels look good, I like the color of the car! If I didn't get something old, a set of American Racing Daisy wheels were to be ordered.

ar-vn504-magnesium-gray-with-machined-lip.jpg

Or if I find a set of 15" slots, for a fair price, I would throw them on.

i like the rims in the trunk better then those , how many do you have and what size are they ?
I have a set of 4 that are 15x6. I'll be putting 235/60's up front with 70's in back for the big and little look I like so much.

Scott, it looks like your car still has its original black and yellow plates on it from it's first registration here in California in 1966. SJR065 would have been issued later in the '66 model year, probably late spring. My first car was an early build 1967 Malibu with TOZ840 plates and, being a car nut, I noticed the plates correspond to the original registration date so it is one of the tricks I use to tell what year a car is, especially now when they look the same year after year. Licenses plates are issued sequentially here and in the early 60s they started with AAA001 and counted up to ZZZ000 in the fall of 1969 and then switched over to the blue and yellow plates. The letters and numbers were reversed on the blue and yellow plates so you see late '69 registrations and early '70 registrations starting with 001AAA on both 1969 and 1970 model year vehicles depending on when they were first sold and registered. The blue and yellow plates counted up to 000ZZZ around 1980 or '81 and then we went to 1AAA001. We are currently up to the 8 series with each number lasting roughly 5 years before all the plates are issued and we go to the next number. I am not sure what we will do in 7 or 8 years when 9ZZZ000 is issued but my guess is we will see a reversal of the order just like in late '69 and go to 001AAA1 and start counting up from there all over again. That should last us another 40 to 45 years depending upon how many people in CA are buying new cars each year. Just a little FYI in case you did not already know the plates on your car were the originals.

Scott, it looks like your car still has its original black and yellow plates on it from it's first registration here in California in 1966. SJR065 would have been issued later in the '66 model year, probably late spring. My first car was an early build 1967 Malibu with TOZ840 plates and, being a car nut, I noticed the plates correspond to the original registration date so it is one of the tricks I use to tell what year a car is, especially now when they look the same year after year. Licenses plates are issued sequentially here and in the early 60s they started with AAA001 and counted up to ZZZ000 in the fall of 1969 and then switched over to the blue and yellow plates. The letters and numbers were reversed on the blue and yellow plates so you see late '69 registrations and early '70 registrations starting with 001AAA on both 1969 and 1970 model year vehicles depending on when they were first sold and registered. The blue and yellow plates counted up to 000ZZZ around 1980 or '81 and then we went to 1AAA001. We are currently up to the 8 series with each number lasting roughly 5 years before all the plates are issued and we go to the next number. I am not sure what we will do in 7 or 8 years when 9ZZZ000 is issued but my guess is we will see a reversal of the order just like in late '69 and go to 001AAA1 and start counting up from there all over again. That should last us another 40 to 45 years depending upon how many people in CA are buying new cars each year. Just a little FYI in case you did not already know the plates on your car were the originals.
I saw the plate in the original ad and considered that a bonus. Once I got the car, I discovered the plate is from 1963, so not original to the car. But it's still cool to have a black plate, and it did come with the car. If you zoom in, you can make out the 63 in the corner.

IMG_20180214_163736.jpg

I saw the plate in the original ad and considered that a bonus. Once I got the car, I discovered the plate is from 1963, so not original to the car. But it's still cool to have a black plate, and it did come with the car. If you zoom in, you can make out the 63 in the corner.

View attachment 174697
I thought all black plates had the 63 on them.

no the plates started life in 63 , 62 and earlier were yel/ blk letters . the 63 plates began life in 63 and ran until 69ish , then blue/ yel letters began . so those are correct for your car . my 64 barracuda , 64 d100 , 65 880 rag , 69 rr , ect....
Scan0015_0015.jpg
DSC06661.JPG
DSC08125.JPG
DSC08126.JPG

I thought all black plates had the 63 on them.
I thought they had they specific year on them. Just read something in the last month about the plates and numbering, but can't remember.

Here in CA the month your registration renews is on the top left and the annual renewal sticker is on the top right. Each year the sticker is a different color (blue, yellow, green, red, orange) so it is obvious if you have not renewed your registration. The stickers are only used on the rear plate and the front plate, although required here in CA, doesn't have any stickers. The plates stay with the vehicle its entire life unless they are vanity plates, which the owner can keep if they want to, or sell with the car, their choice. So, now you know for certain that those license plates have been on your Polara for almost 52 years!

nope , california used year and month stickers starting in 63 . earlier plates had metal tags . i'm sure you've seem them . hey 'worlds fastest indian' and 'american graffiti' were made based on pre 63 , check out the plates on those cars .

My Barracuda has original black plate. ZMH-605 sold from Lemon Grove Chrysler Plymouth. Anyone have a month?

Here in CA the month your registration renews is on the top left and the annual renewal sticker is on the top right. Each year the sticker is a different color (blue, yellow, green, red, orange) so it is obvious if you have not renewed your registration. The stickers are only used on the rear plate and the front plate, although required here in CA, doesn't have any stickers. The plates stay with the vehicle its entire life unless they are vanity plates, which the owner can keep if they want to, or sell with the car, their choice. So, now you know for certain that those license plates have been on your Polara for almost 52 years!
That's good to know, thanks for the clarification.

Back