So I want to have a 440 built....

Last summer when I put the rebuilt 440 in our 66 New Yorker found it would run hotter than the old engine did. I didn't get very concerned being a fresh rebuild. A few things that I've done over the last year have helped with it running over 220 degs on the highway. I installed a wide band O2 sensor and have the carburetor running closer to 14.0 to 1. Replaced the distributor with a new electronic unit from Spectra, a control unit and coil from FBO. Set up the distributor as outlined. I did replace my radiator with a brass copper unit also from Spectra, due to the old one leaking. It is a 26"unit with a good fin count. I run an aluminum water pump housing with a rebuilt water pump, 8 blade impeller I think. I also have 7 blade fan with clutch and shroud. I've gotten down to a little under 220 on the highway with the A/C on a 90 deg day in South Louisiana. Without the A/C running the temp drops off even lower. It's not going to happen over night, try one thing at a time. I found that after I changed the distributor and set it up as FBO outlined may have helped the most.

Back