So I want to have a 440 built....

Clarify for me...the existing 383 runs fine? Just doesnt have enough "go" for you?

IMO. Machine and assembley costs on an old motor-home 440. Plus a stroker kit will be more than 4k in tge short block. You can match rotating kits to the heads, and buy a bigger cam, but then using manifolds...you have done all that work to have it corked up at the exit.
Dont forget all bearings, gaskets, head bolts, 440 is an RB. So new intake vs B383.

I think you are flirting with 6k Easy, turn key. And thats reusing carb and heads.

Id deff look into headers for a stroker also.

Yes, the 383 runs well but the bottom end has 119,000 on it now, and it seems to like a bit of oil.

Building the 440 would be a mistake. The way you have it planned out, it will be a torque monster with no real guts (a turd). Refresh your 383. Buy a nice intake, carb, cam, and heads for it, up the compression ratio to 10.5:1. Stock displacement 383's are known to make upwards of 400 HP, and you will spend less than you would on the 440. Please read up on some of the builds hotrod magazine has done with their 383.

And I'd be happy with a stock displacement 440 also.
But you are miles from that. Distributor, intake, rotating assembly, gaskets, bearings, bolts, intake, etc etc.

You are better off finding a running 440 if you Just want to say "I have a 440" I know u want more pep. But I would say you need a tad more budget to make this feasible or worth Wile. Again not a jab. Just being observant based on experience.

Enlighten me please?
Well, I assume you want to build a stroker because your car is slow. The super high ratio rear-end you have will make it always be a slug off the line. I would go with 3.23 or 3.55 suregrip.

Well, I assume you want to build a stroker because your car is slow. The super high ratio rear-end you have will make it always be a slug off the line. I would go with 3.23 or 3.55 suregrip.

I wasnt making fun of you, laughing with you! Lol

But before we go recommending short gears and a high stall converter...lets talk about what that sacrifices on the other end.

Will it accelerate better? Yes. But your cruise rpm will be increased also. So less gas mileage, and a harder churning engine. A stall converter would snap better off the line...but would also slip more. So thats more trans heat.... c body's are big cruisers...lets not start building a bracket car here.

I like my 2.76 rear gears. I look at my Newport as a "heavy cruiser". I don't want to race it, but I want something more to happen when I floor it also. If nothing else, a stock 440 would have better grunt than what I have now?

I like my 2.76 rear gears. I look at my Newport as a "heavy cruiser". I don't want to race it, but I want something more to happen when I floor it also. If nothing else, a stock 440 would have better grunt than what I have now?
Than a stock 383? Absolutely. But you will have more into rebuilding that 440 for less power than refreshing your current 383. So in the end - no.

Why not the 383 sanely built and gear the rear end accordingly. Wouldn't that produce close to the same results as compared to a 440 with the present rear end?? I thought the 383 was more rev happy anyway. Is gas mileage a priority here? I would doubt it if he was considering a 440 at all.

Gas mileage not so much. I've got a Hyundai for that. I want something with power, but without it having to be cranky to drive to get it. That's why I was thinking 440 and then about stroking one for bigger displacement since I'd be buying crank, rods and pistons anyway.

Your heads and cam will not support that stroker. It will have plenty of torque, but you will be disappointed by the final product.
You will blow your entire budget on machine work and stroker kit. If you want a stroker, plan on at least $6,000.
A well built 383 with 3.23 gears will make you smile. It will run 1,800 RPM at 70 mph.
My gas saver 8:1 compression 383 still does well with the 3.23 rear-end. It runs high 14 second 1/4's.
If you're dead set on the 440, then you should go stock stroke and put your money into better gear. If it needs new internals, plan on at least $5,000.
You will want headers and they run $700. A 750 cfm carb is too small for a 512 ci engine.
Did you read the articles I linked?

Last edited:
Back