Someone school me on AutoTemp

Yeahrightgreer

Reaction score
As I’m about to start tackling the AC system on my car, I’d like to get a heads up and the lowdown on AutoTemp. If there’s already a good thread which I’m sure there is - feel free to point me in that direction.
What’s the difference between AutoTemp I and II?
What’s the difference between AutoTemp and manual? I know automatic climate control, But what mechanical differences are there?
Why is it known among members as such daunting task?
My car is of the AutoTemp I variety and it’s a 1970.

Last edited:
As I’m about to start tackling the AC system on my car, I’d like to get a heads up and the lowdown on AutoTemp. If there’s already a good thread which I’m sure there is - feel free to point me in that direction.
What’s the difference between AutoTemp I and II?
What’s the difference between AutoTemp and manual? I know automatic climate control, But what mechanical differences are there?
Why is it known among members as such daunting task?
My car is of the AutoTemp I variety and it’s a 1970.

Your best bet to understand the theory of operation would be to read the section in the FSM on standard air and then read the complete section on Auto temp. The auto temp was poorly designed and subject to repeated failures even when these systems were new. There were numerous problems with the controls that were made worse by small vacuum leaks in the various components, that often made diagnostics difficult at best. The internal thermal controls were a POS. There were also many problems with evaporator icing up on the cooling cycle. Many of the most common repair parts are obsolete and hard to find and expensive and even if properly repaired, these systems would seldom make it thru more than one season without breaking down. That is why a lot of us will not buy a car with this system installed.

Dave

Last edited:
Hey Greer, next time you are over my place, let me take you on a tour of all my AC parts and what to look for on a part by part basis. I have multiple systems laying about here. ;)

So are most of the components and items car specific? As I would assume if they were shared across the 4 platforms - someone would be reproducing them. Is it possible to convert an AutoTemp car to Manual? Or is it too much work than what the car is probably worth.

My heater core is blown, Compressor is unplugged, air blows weak and lukewarm. Original owner bypassed the dash and installed an ON/OFF switch for the A/C under the glovebox - yet dash controls work fine. Have no idea why.

Hey Greer, next time you are over my place, let me take you on a tour of all my AC parts and what to look for on a part by part basis. I have multiple systems laying about here. ;)

For sure - I'd like to get a better understanding on the system. I was actually around your way in Greenville this weekend in the Fury. Great weather.

[QUOTE="Yeahrightgreer, post: 655537, member: 6361"

For sure - I'd like to get a better understanding on the system. I was actually around your way in Greenville this weekend in the Fury. Great weather.[/QUOTE]
And you didn't stop in, ah well, next time.

Back