Source for suspension parts

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Hello fellas and fell-ettes,

I need suspension parts for my 65 New Yorker, namely ball joints and control arm bushings. Can anyone refer me to some place that sells this stuff? Many thanks as always for your help. Rich in Tampa

113_0689.JPG

113_0692.JPG

113_0696.JPG

They have a section for C-Bodies on their website, I got all my suspension components from them when I restored my 68 Newport.

Nice Town Sedan! - Firm Feel is a good choice, there is also Espo Springs & Things..... replacing those joints and bushings REALLY improves the handling on these cars......

Craig @mobileparts. He is a member here and has the good quality parts our cars need. Very knowledgeable and a good guy to deal with. When you leave him a message he will call you back. Several of us on here have used him for parts.

Thanks Fury68. I searched this site for similar topics, and found a link to an outfit out of New Jersey that sells kits on ebay. One of our members highly recommended it. So, I ordered a front-end kit that came in just over $300 with free shipping.

Next question: should I try to do the work myself, or let a local shop (they know C-bodies) do it?

I would just say use RockAuto myself, but you can probably get better parts from other places. I could probably stand to replace all the rubber bushings myself, but suspension is hell of work to do in an apartment complex on jack-stands.

I think the major thing with accessing the upper control arm (and therefore the bushings) is you need to take tension off the torsion bars and remove the shock, after that it just becomes an issue of removing the nuts that hold the UCA. There seems to be some debate from my research whether the proper method is to jack the car up, loosen the tension on the torsion bar bolts and work on it like that, or put your front jack-stands UNDER the LCAs and let the car compress on those, therefore the entire bottom is pressurized and there is no danger to you. Off of my hair-brain, I would just go for the latter method, as it seems no different than just having the car sit on the tires naturally, and even from my memory of looking at the FSM there's NO mention of needing to loosen tension on a torsion bar to change tire or suspension parts.

Thanks Eureka. My local shop that knows C-bodies assessed the thing pretty well, and showed me exactly where the issues were (the entire front end, basically). Their problem was finding the time to research the parts, due to staffing issues at their shop. SO, I took the liberty to locate the parts.

Next question: should I try to do the work myself, or let a local shop (they know C-bodies) do it?
I just did a complete job on my 66. Do not attempt a full-on job without thoroughly reading the FSM for removal of torsion bars and strut rods. Also it really helps to have the proper specialized tools (upper ball joint socket, 3/4" impact or adapter, MIG Welder, hydraulic press, and a lot of patience). Be extremely careful with the sway bar link nuts. The link studs that go through the stub frame are small and will snap easily without much resistance (even on a rust free AZ car). There are several threads on here to make a torsion bar removal tool. Mine came out easily so I didn't bother. You'll need to cut and weld the sway bar link bottom brackets once you insert the new bushing if your car isn't already equipped with the bolt-on version. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward. Take your time, lube everything properly, and know that your car will handle as well as it did when it rolled off the showroom floor.

Thanks AZ. I'm really inclined to just let these guys at the local shop do it. I've done SO much work on all my cars these last several decades, but I just don't feel like doing this job and tying up the garage space while I do it. Plus, I just started to paint the house today, so I have a lot on my plate!

We can help you with many of your suspension part needs. Plus as a member of the forum you are eligible for an additional discount,

Thanks
James From
PST

As Harry Callahan would say, "Man's got to know his limitations". That's not a dig at you at all and I don't blame you. I had my buddy's shop remove and press in my lower control arm bushings. No way in hell i was doing that. Finding time to bang away is tough, especially if you're looking to clean up and repaint/coat all the components. My car was on jack stands for a couple months because I kept finding more and more to do. Whichever way you decide, you'll be happy.

Thanks AZ. I'm really inclined to just let these guys at the local shop do it. I've done SO much work on all my cars these last several decades, but I just don't feel like doing this job and tying up the garage space while I do it. Plus, I just started to paint the house today, so I have a lot on my plate!
You are not the only person with too many projects. Me too!!!!
Nothing wrong with asking for help when you're overloaded.

Thanks Fury. I figure that they'll have the car back to me in short order, so I can enjoy it.

Make sure whoever presses out the lower control arm bushings knows what they are doing. Had a fool bend the right control arm with his press and had to replace it.

I got my suspension kit for my 1972 Fury from PST... there was a shipping boo boo and they showed what excellent service they provide. I am happy

Back