Sourcing '68 Imperial Brake Parts

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some replacement parts of my '68 Imperial. Most of the parts I see online are from Centric. Are these parts any good? The parts I'm looking at are the complete front disk calipers and brake hoses, as well as rear brake cylinders and shoes. Also, while I can fine re-manufactured front rotors, I cannot seem to find the pads. Are these available anywhere... new or NOS?

-Gregg B.

So - the single best thing you can do regarding brakes and steering parts for your 68 Imperial is to get in touch with Craig @mobileparts . He is the go to guy with the correct NOS made in the USA parts for your car. Whether they're Chrylser NOS or aftermarket NOS, they'll be correct, and quality made.

Craig Studnik is your guy.

Yeesh..... nearly $800 for these including the core charge. That's why I was asking about the Cardone and Centric ones. I guess it's a matter of "getting what you paid for"...

Hey Gregg,
Welcome Aboard --- and I see that you are from Minnesota--- and I bleed PURPLE!!!
SKOL VIKINGS!!!

I have a function on Wednesday evenings, so I have to be quick right now....

Ross is one of the most knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and genuinely GREAT people, on this site, and yes, as Detmatt said, he alerted me to contact you here (This site is GREAT, for this sort of camaraderie, friendship, and helping one another....)

Detmatt is also one of the most knowledgeable people on this site --- especially when it comes to the IMPERIAL.... he is clearly the leading authority on this site --- and is also very helpful, and friendly... And feel for him --- that "Det" is for Detroit --- and his Lions have been the butt of countless jokes since Alex Karros retired !!! ( and now Mr. Interception --- Mathilda Stafford --- is a world championship Q B --- sheesh....)

I see you have P.M.ed me --- and I will throw a bunch of information and my phone number in the wee hours tonight, when I get home from my function, because, as per forum rules, we can’t put our phone numbers out here in the open.......

Ross and Detmatt have been very helpful in sending people to me for the QUALITY parts / U.S.A.made/ N.O.S. that our cars demand, and that is why I have been hunting them down, and spending millions of dollars over these past 51 years to have them !!!!

When I finally meet Ross and Detmatt face - to - face, I will have a pretty lady decide which of those two men will be my Television spokesman, and the uglier one, like me, has the face made for radio !!!!! L O L !!!!

Gotta run.... Gregg.... I will P.M. you in about 5 - 6 hours......

I have been the only one on the planet for the last couple of years who has the brake pads, I was out for about 2 - 3 years, before I unearthed a master case of twelve (12),
I have five (5) remaining.... I was one of very very few who had some for the twenty (20) years before that !!!! I have the --- correct --- Rear Brake Shoes--- and a whoooooole lot more !!!

DO NOT go with Centric or " Car DON'T " for Calipers --- those will really, *** I F *** they have any..... be just essentially good for CORES ..... Matt has found --- and utilized --- someone he uses for Caliper Rebuilds --- and if Matt uses him, he must be good....
My buddy, Jeff, also does them, but he may be pricier, and have a slower turn around time.....

Must run... P.M. you later.... Thanxxx again, Ross and Matt..... Yours, Craig.....

Hey Gregg,
Welcome Aboard --- and I see that you are from Minnesota--- and I bleed PURPLE!!!
SKOL VIKINGS!!!

Ross is one of the most knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and genuinely GREAT people, on this site, and yes, as Detmatt said, he alerted me to contact you here (This site is GREAT, for this sort of camaraderie, friendship, and helping one another....)

Detmatt is also one of the most knowledgeable people on this site --- especially when it comes to the IMPERIAL.... he is clearly the leading authority on this site --- and is also very helpful, and friendly... And feel for him --- that "Det" is for Detroit --- and his Lions have been the butt of countless jokes since Alex Karros retired !!! ( and now Mr. Interception --- Mathilda Stafford --- is a world championship Q B --- sheesh....)

I see you have P.M.ed me --- and I will throw a bunch of information and my phone number in the wee hours tonight, when I get home from my function, because, as per forum rules, we can’t put our phone numbers out here in the open.......

Ross and Detmatt have been very helpful in sending people to me for the QUALITY parts / U.S.A.made/ N.O.S. that our cars demand, and that is why I have been hunting them down, and spending millions of dollars over these past 51 years to have them !!!!

When I finally meet Ross and Detmatt face - to - face, I will have a pretty lady decide which of those two men will be my Television spokesman, and the uglier one, like me, has the face made for radio !!!!! L O L !!!!

I have been the only one on the planet for the last couple of years who has the brake pads, I was out for about 2 - 3 years, before I unearthed a master case of twelve (12),
I have five (5) remaining.... I was one of very very few who had some for the twenty (20) years before that !!!! I have the --- correct --- Rear Brake Shoes--- and a whoooooole lot more !!!

DO NOT go with Centric or " Car DON'T " for Calipers --- those will really, *** I F *** they have any..... be just essentially good for CORES ..... Matt has found --- and utilized --- someone he uses for Caliper Rebuilds --- and if Matt uses him, he must be good....
My buddy, Jeff, also does them, but he may be pricier, and have a slower turn around time.....

Must run... P.M. you later.... Thanxxx again, Ross and Matt..... Yours, Craig.....
Thanks, Craig. I look forward to hearing back from you. Where do you live in Minnesota? I'm in the Lakeville area. If you truly have a full set of front pads and rear shoes for a '68 Imperial, I would certainly be interested.

-Gregg B.

I am in Long Island, New York. I am a diehard VIKINGS fan, but we have VIKINGS fans all over this country!!!

Yeesh..... nearly $800 for these including the core charge. That's why I was asking about the Cardone and Centric ones. I guess it's a matter of "getting what you paid for"...
Last I checked they had them on the shelf ready to install. If you buy centric or Cardone you will most likely be purchasing a headache and a ticket for revisiting the job due to leaks. The brake hoses are readily available.

Hey Gregg,
SKOL VIKINGS!!!

:lol:

I am in Long Island, New York. I am a diehard VIKINGS fan, but we have VIKINGS fans all over this country!!!
My team starts their season tomorrow, let’s play ball!!!

Hey Detmatt,
I think you know that I am a diehard White Sox fan (I lived in Chicago as a kid...) So, you want to go toe-to-toe with your Tigers against my White Sox ??? I don't think so !!!!

" You can put it on the board, YES !!! Mercy !!! " The HAWK lives on, Jason Bonetti is a little wussy, I readily admit..... Yours, Craig.....

Hey Detmatt,
I think you know that I am a diehard White Sox fan (I lived in Chicago as a kid...) So, you want to go toe-to-toe with your Tigers against my White Sox ??? I don't think so !!!!

" You can put it on the board, YES !!! Mercy !!! " The HAWK lives on, Jason Bonetti is a little wussy, I readily admit..... Yours, Craig.....
Our home opener is against Chicago tomorrow at 1:10 pm.:thumbsup:

Craig sounds like an absolute treasure when it comes to a good NOS parts source out there. Thanks all for referring him. I'm buying everything else I need from him (except the calipers, coming from Mark @ Calipers Online). I'm sure I'll will be buying more from him in the future. I will also be replacing all the metal brake lines as well... anyone have a good source for this?

-Gregg B.

Fine Lines, Inline Tube - there are several sources for C body. I am not sure if they service Imperials or not, but if you send them your old ones, they can make them up for you, using them as patterns.

Thanks for the info on those re-sleeved calipers, Matt. It is costing me $826 for the set (before core exchange), but I believe since you endorsed it, it is the best thing to do.

-Gregg B.
They are expensive because they’re worth every penny. The Budd brake job is a hard pill to swallow until you put it into the perspective that it will likely be the last brake job you’ll have to do unless you really put the miles on and it will still be many years.
This system is designed for this car and really is superior to the alternatives so it’s money well spent.

They are expensive because they’re worth every penny. The Budd brake job is a hard pill to swallow until you put it into the perspective that it will likely be the last brake job you’ll have to do unless you really put the miles on and it will still be many years.
This system is designed for this car and really is superior to the alternatives so it’s money well spent.
I agree on this. Before I started noticing a problem, I was impressed by how well the brake system worked... much like a modern car.

Back