Spare tire

rv2

Reaction score
I pulled this original spare out of the 73 Town and Country wagon that I picked up recently.
I cleaned it up and stuck it in the trunk of my 73 Polara.

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

IMG_6156.jpeg

Those tires look great for display...

If you have a flat, and let's say you are away from home, do you really want to put a 50 year old bias belted tire on your car?

When one of those tires come apart, it can cause a lot of problems and damage to the car.

Those tires look great for display...

If you have a flat, and let's say you are away from home, do you really want to put a 50 year old bias belted tire on your car?

When one of those tires come apart, it can cause a lot of problems and damage to the car.
Thats all its for, I have another spare in the trunk.

A side story to consider.

In talking with a current salvage yard owner of 50’s and 60’s cars he says that it is common for radial tires to separate belts and explode while the car is sitting in the yard. Seldom happens with bias belted tires. I thought it was interesting.

doesn’t mean I want to go down the highway with them.

Last edited:
A side story;to consider.

In talking with a current salvage yard owner of 50’s and 60’s cars he says that it is common for radial tires to separate belts and explode while the car is sitting in the yard. Seldom happens with bias belted tires.
True, I had a 68 GTX and I opened the trunk one day and the tire was blown out!
It was a modern radial that hadn't been used, that was weird.

I have one of those original spares all cleaned up and sitting in the rafters.

A side story;to consider.

In talking with a current salvage yard owner of 50’s and 60’s cars he says that it is common for radial tires to separate belts and explode while the car is sitting in the yard. Seldom happens with bias belted tires.
I have a friend that had one explode in his garage. He figured the tire was 15 years old and had been sitting for about 4 years inside.

It must be something with the construction of the radial.

Makes one think, I will be looking to replace the one from my 67 Newport, who knows how old it is, the car sat in a garage for over 35 years.
Are there any cheap 14" tires out there for an updated spare? The Newport has 4 brand new Hankooks, but the spare was overlooked.

rv2, thanks for creating a reminder.

Have a nice day,

PT

Makes one think, I will be looking to replace the one from my 67 Newport, who knows how old it is, the car sat in a garage for over 35 years.
Are there any cheap 14" tires out there for an updated spare? The Newport has 4 brand new Hankooks, but the spare was overlooked.

rv2, thanks for creating a reminder.

Have a nice day,

PT
Amazon product ASIN B07C7XCPVJ
These went up $10 in the past month.

I have a friend that had one explode in his garage. He figured the tire was 15 years old and had been sitting for about 4 years inside.

It must be something with the construction of the radial.
That’s odd. My dad’s 300 has radials on it that have been on it for longer than 33 years, they hold air and look brand new.

HUMMMMM! they are around $190 bucks in Canada on Amazon.ca, I'll make one out of wood!
Wow... $88 USD delivered here. Have you got one of those mailing addresses that a lot of you guys use in Niagara Falls, NY?

There's probably other guys here that do... or would split one with you. It might pay for itself.

Back