"Special" Editions

The last Hemi 300 for 2023

1681076307768.png
1681076368687.png

source: The HEMI-Powered 2023 Chrysler 300C Is The Last Of Its Kind

Minotaur, I realize there is a newer version of the Pickup w minotaur, any know about this oddity?

View attachment 590779

I've seen about 5 of these van-ups on FB in the last 6 mos, all within a 1-state radius of me.
Several of them were listed as a '71 but all were clearly from around 76-77 as they had the below grille + interior details from that era also.
Most retained the van body full-length, while one had a stepside pickup bed.

Neat vehicles, but inconvenient underhood access makes me think a 4dr truck is a better choice in many situations? Esp if you need 4wd.

1681127792393.png

1681128236570.png

we "drove around" some 'van-ups" last year. A member turned up an Arrow Sunrader.

91982041-da37-4434-9935-f8eac63294fa-jpeg.jpg

Bought a 1 of 2 known 4 speed car today :)

Just following the breadcrumbs an it leads to Ford and Ford upfitters too. Ford's were turned into something called a "Centurion".

Seems kinda the "daddy" of the Excursion that DID come outta a Ford factory with the 1999 MY. Centurion was (is?) is truck upfitter, using the old Bronco/Econolines late 80's early 90', in cahoots with/through Ford (and its dealers).

Sometimes Econoline/pickup conversions called "Centurions" turn up in a google search - don't make it true, but it happens. seems like they did "van-ups' too.

I dont ever recall seeing a single one .. and I was well outta undergrad college and into my collecting by 1990 (i.e, i was old enough to notice things).

sources: ford-e-350-centurion-van-truck-for-sale-might-be-the-oddest-pickup-conversion-ever, ford-centurion, 1989-ford-centurion-dually-is-part-van-and-part-truck/, 1990 Ford Centurion – 4

1990-Ford-Centurion-1-e1674681913901.jpg
Phillips-66AH.jpg
1990-Ford-Centurion-4.jpg
ENGINE SHUT-DOWN CYLINDER.png

Then other folks (again, Centurion was one factory-santioned upfitter) started doing Econolines with dually pickup beds.
1681134774726.png
513-75196305_196117858224761_8577779143062585344_o.jpg
1681134411689.png
730-75279292_196673051502575_8755713023886229504_o.jpg
155-75362511_196673368169210_8775069878848585728_o.jpg

Last edited:
Post #9, the lost lost Fury "Snapper", alive and living in Iowa two years ago??

For Sale - Plymouth Fury 3 (1969) - $3900 (Davenport) craigslist

View attachment 186898 View attachment 186897
Here's another sighting of this Snapper, is from 3 years ago but newer than the Iowa sighting on CL.
Unfortunately the tortoise roof looks tired, and is perhaps the main selling feature of the car.
If the outside looks as decent as the body/paint, is not a bad price.
And an FCBO discusison on it:
For Sale - Not mine - 1969 Fury 3 Snapper

1682300328100.png

_nc_ohc=xBpLHPGlxWkAX9gS_Rw&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=V27BbGXqQNgAX9f8ujB&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=kJu6Psgvm98AX_VvpOJ&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=7Se0m2VH9fEAX_n1Mvo&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=TB1nY1JmH_4AX8mpztX&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=v6PxFfo5xC8AX_1zw0k&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

Last edited:
1691426993753.png

1. Post #2: A running or salvage 1970 Newport 440. A picture of one from anywhere or time, or an ownership story?

2. Post #8. Road-worthy, auto-show "protoype" 1973 Plymouth Aspen, "basically a white 4drhtp Fury with a big blue snowflake on the side, ski racks and huge whitewall snowtires." Only one known to exist via eyewitness accounts.

3. Post #9: The 1969 Fury Snapper, No non-cartoon historical photos can be found, and not one single present-day example anywhere yet.

4 Post #10: The 1969 1/2 Plymouth Diplomat, "which appeared to be a Fury pillared coupe with Sport Fury ornamentation. It is these dealer initiatives and/or regional models that are the most difficult for automotive historians to discover and document." All we have is Toledo OH area dealer did them

5. From other threads: A REAL Fusie and Formal Newport Police Car. We knew they existed. We know WV and Illinois State Police had them, perhaps even NJ. Not a single pic, of one still around today, running or otherwise has turned up. Not even a broadcast sheet or fender tag of one has turned up.

6. Got one you're looking for/saw once? lets capture that on the list.

Thanks everyone for helping out with this thread.

Another Snapper hs turned up .. this time a coupe. NO opera window in C pilar though,

The other four "Yetis" on my list are still MIA.

Six years into my search, I had hoped a 1970 Newport 440, with the A67 RPO (must have), woulda surfaced by now as we KNOW it was real. Alas not.

Came close to getting a fleet equipped (no evidence it did police duty tho) '72 Newp but it got away from me under questionable circumstances.

The others I am trying to find? No so sure a single example will EVER turn up ..EVEN if they existed.

NOT MINE - 69 Fury Snapper on ebay, 2dr 29 roof, 318 $7500 with reserve

Last edited:
Last edited:
Very interesting thread!! I received a comment on a pic of my '68 Newport suggesting that it likely was a "Spring Special" edition. I'd never heard of such a thing... so I had to look into it further. My investigation brought me to this page/ thread. And... it's really starting to look like I've got one of the Chrysler Newport "The Success Sale Special" edition w/ the Seafoam Turquoise Metallic paint, Two Tone Turquoise Vinyl Interior, White Vinyl Top, Special Light Package & Remote Rear View Mirror. It also has some unique looking Chrysler Newport rubber floor mats with the Newport "Castle" insignia. This car came from the factory with 383/ equipped with AC. There is a Chrysler AC sticker still on the rear passenger window.

Sadly, the remote mirror had been disabled. I do still have the crank and cable mechanism (found in trunk) and PO installed some non-correct side mirrors. I'd love to track down the correct mirrors if anyone has any leads where to find?

Also, the AC had been removed as well. It did come with a big vent airbox apparatus (also found in trunk)which I think should be installed under the dash on the passenger side. I suspect the heater core sprung a leak, as both the Heater and AC hoses had been bypassed.

I'd never really had the Chrysler Newport on my radar as a viable candidate for a dream car. But, she's a beautiful specimen - it was %100 love at first sight. In fact, I was actually searching for a Coronet, Fury or other more popular makes when I stumbled across this ruby in the dust. I knew that she was the one... and I had to bring her home.

I made a B-line (on a wing and a prayer) to southern Oregon to pick her up. I was very pleased... 68k miles 1 owner car. It still had the original Chrysler paperwork, owners manual, receipts all maintenance well documented. In fact, it still had some of the previous owners ID/ Business Cards and other misc. items. I learned that he was a very popular/ successful real estate agent... He would use the Newport to bring his potential clients to view properties and show up rolling in ol' girl to close out his business deals. A very classy and nice touch if you ask me!! I bet he was a very successful agent indeed with that strategy/approach. Checkmate - Ace of Spades!

I immediately pulled the trigger. I drove the car all the way back home without a hick-up - she purred like a kitten. I've owned many vehicles in my day... and this one hands down is my favorite of all. I knew she was special... but, had know idea it was a "Success Special".

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 4.25.34 PM.png

361138446_208491272175994_974937266977295737_n.jpeg

361175737_287566717155865_3217290161962393119_n.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 7.28.37 AM.png

Sadly, the remote mirror had been disabled. I do still have the crank and cable mechanism (found in trunk) and PO installed some non-correct side mirrors. I'd love to track down the correct mirrors if anyone has any leads where to find?

I saw just hte other day that somebody had reproduction LH remote and RH manual mirrors for around $200/pair.
Van's, maybe?

Was the Highlander it's own model with badging or an option package?
hey chief. my guess would be the latter.

Reading that Chrysler sales director's letter in March 1961 to the dealers announcing the deal, it talked about what the "package" was, the price, the point-of-sale materials to use IN the dealership, proforma ads for local print media, etc.,. suggests that was a typical seasonal promotion all domestic OE's were into.

what follows is all stuff you know .. just my humble opinion based on my experience.

1695211785737.png

Apparently, the whole car was "new" in 1961 when the "Newport" name plate/badging from the recent past became its own model.

An "affordable, full size Chrysler" was "news" and a selling theme/hook for the Newp it seems to me.

The "hook" in those days, was to "get them into the showroom" and work your sales magic on them (for this low price, "entry" model, full size Chrysler, or maybe upsell them into a NYer or 300 or something).

Since the model itself was "new" that year, the "hook" was a combination of taglines that conveyed emotion, and for this car "Highlander Hightime" with a tartan interior was the new Newp's extra contribution to the hook.

Something Buick and Ford and didnt have in their cars to make your friends "ooh and ahh" when you pulled up at church, or at the office, or at the club in your smartly-copped, full sized, '61 Newp. Powerful V8 with good fuel economy too!

To juice sales mid model year, unless the product choices were "cheap" to implement - e.g., unique paint colors, interior fabrics, option availability at lower price points, etc.,) - the factory/bean counters would tell the marketers to go fly a kite.

Tool up something new BEYOND the whole new Newp they just did that year, do all that engineering, etc, and you don't move any more IRON, was kiss of death to a sales career in a car company back then.

LSS, looks like a "package" to me, to help build showroom traffic for the new Newport, and I defer to smarter people to assess the car itself, but, to me, only difference was the tartan fabric in this one vs. "regular" interiors/features available on all other Newps.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back