"Special" Editions

Totally forgot about that one. I had a friend who had a Gremlin back in high school, he really wanted a Levi's version. He pointed one out in a shopping mall parking lot.

I doubt if I ever really thought about that car again until now, nearly 40 years later.

a9-png.png

searchin' far and wide for one ... 1970 is the year. PM me if you ever see one (here in the North America) that you don't want to buy

:thumbsup:

$13.45 cents dealer cost for the added 440 package. :wtf:
It really puzzles me why so many 318s were made when they could have had torque and HP for under fifteen bucks.

Source: 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury Big Block 4 speed for sale: photos, technical specifications, description

I dont believe this car is currently for sale. Not possible to tell date of this ad. 1965 Sport Fury, 383, 4 speed.

Original Paint “Numbers” car ( Chrysler didn't stamp engine or transmission w/ VIN until 1969 – But date codes are correct)
Engine – A = 1965 383 H.P. Stamped on engine Boss below distributor
Casting # 2468130-4 LL 8-4-64
Transmission C-95639 64-65 Trunion Style 833 4 speed
Original HURST Super Comp shifter
View attachment 241563 View attachment 241552 View attachment 241550 View attachment 241551

VIN stamps started in 68 but at top center rear of block and top center front of trans, opposite each other on big blocks anyway.

Well this thread is coming up on five years old. Started it looking for the "special edition C's" all through the forum

Post #1: Will try to see if this gains any traction. Hoping to construct ONE thread were all the "special edition", "spring specials", limited runs", road-worthy "prototypes" or other "one-offs", etc C-bodies are captured.

Hopefully we can post information like ads, pictures, mag articles, promotional and/or factory materials from back in the day. Even better, if we can find examples of these vehicles still on the road today.

Example to start was the "Mariner" .. brochure, to a parking lot in SE Michigan 40+ years later

1645452936846.png

1645452654077.png

a WHOLE bunch of cars (even Forward look cars back to the '50's), trucks, factory and dealer offerings, AMC's too, showed up. Quite a trip down "memory lane" for many of us.

About 50 different "special editions" turned up, many more than I would have thought we'd find.

Even a few got sorta "debunked" too -- ala the 1974 Imperial Crown Coupe below which was not a factory/dealer piece at all so those do not count - even if they were well done and even used "factory" parts/design cues.

1645455282370.png
1645455298364.png

Anyway, there are a few "special" C's we identified early on and STILL have not "found" (an existing car and/or documentation it ever existed).

1. 1970 Newport 440: I am still personally looking for this one -- but nearly 7 years on the premier C body site I have not found a single one that I can verify was factory built that MY year (A67 code).

2. 1969 1/2 Fury "Diplomat": Maybe a rogue dealer deal, maybe just the Detroit region, whatever .... not one photo let alone a car still in existence.

3. 1973 Plymouth Aspen "basically a white 4drhtp Fury with a big blue snowflake on the side, ski racks and huge whitewall snowtires." Only one known to exist via eyewitness accounts. Most likely only seen at an auto show. If not saved by someone connected with Chrysler, it could easily be long gone by now. Hopefully some promotional material exists

If you know about any of these three, or any others you own(ed), have knowledge of, etc, please throw them in this thread.

Thank you all for helping out with this thread.

Last edited:
Redford Chrysler Plymouth from Redford, MI is your dealership for C-body dealer specials. One of them was just posted, a dealer special based off the 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury with its standard 318 cid enigine:

1977-GranFuryLandau-ad.jpg

This was not their first effort, however. There are hints at a 1970 Fury and a 1974 Newport, also produced as dealer one-offs.

A bit of sales copy:

""REDFORD'S SPECIAL GRAN CPE." NEW 70 FURY FACTORY AIR CONDITIONED , "REDFORD'S SPECIAL GRAN COUPE" V8 ENG., TFLITE, POWER STEERING, TINTED WINDSHIELD, PAISLEY VINYL ROOF, AM RADIO, WHITEWALLS, WHEEL COVERS, AIR CONDITIONED, VINYL SIDE BODY MOLDINGS, VINYL INTERIOR. WHILE THEY LAST REDFORD 22326 GRAND RIVER KE 1-1923"

"The Chrysler Newport-by Redford
Customized elegance is yours in this LIMITED EDITION Chrysler Newport by Redford. Be one of only a handful of discriminating buyers to own one of these exceptionally fine motor cars.
Nobody else has them! Standard equipment includes: Air conditioning, custom interior, digital clock, remote control mirror, tinted glass, radio, light package and steel belted radial whitewall tires.
REDFORD adds the look of intimate luxury with a custom padded vinyl roof and classic opera window. Like no other Chrysler Newport you can buy.
Priced at just $5,350-available ONLY at
REDFORD SALES AND SERVICE, INC.
22326 Grand River, Detroit, Michigan 48219
KE 1-2400"

The 1970 Fury can be seen on Flickr.

Last edited:
This was not their first effort, however. There are hints at a 1970 Fury and a 1974 Newport, also produced as dealer one-offs.

A bit of sales copy:

""REDFORD'S SPECIAL GRAN CPE." NEW 70 FURY FACTORY AIR CONDITIONED , "REDFORD'S SPECIAL QRAN COUPE" V8 ENG., TFLITE, POWER STEERING, TINTED WINDSHIELD, PAISLEY VINYL ROOF, AM RADIO, WHITEWALLS, WHEEL COVERS, AIR CONDITIONED, VINYL SIDE BODY MOLDINGS, VINYL INTERIOR. WHILE THEY LAST REDFORD 22326 GRAND RIVER KE 1-1923"

The 1970 Fury can be seen on Flickr.
@PeugFra finding a couple we hadn't seen (ad source: Detroit Free Press August 1970).

1970 Fury "Special Edition from Redford (Michigan) Chrysler Plymouth

UntitledEE2ccc129.png

Yep, that's the one! I had forgotten how to rip images off Flickr.

I wonder whether Redford authored any other specials. Their tactic was to start from a low-priced model and offer their version toward the end of the model year. The advertising took on various forms, as we can see: postcards, newspaper and magazine ads.

I was unable to find out which magazine the 1977 Gran Fury Landau ad is taken from. Bought it on Ebay. I hope one day a Michigan resident can fill the gap.

Redford Chrysler Plymouth from Redford, MI is your dealership for C-body dealer specials. One of them was just posted, a dealer special based off the 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury with its standard 318 cid enigine:

View attachment 516635

We took this "roof" up, for at least three cars to my memory, that were all Monacos.

We took this roof up, in at least two threads here, past few years, covering final year(s) of the Monaco Cs..

UntitledEE2ccc128.png
UntitledEE2ccc129.png
UntitledEE2ccc129-B.png
UntitledEE2ccc129-A.png

Above, there was a low mileage reddish example, a black one, and a blue one. We identified it as option code "V3" to get the "Diplomat" package on the Royal Monaco Brougham ('76 &'77 MY's it seems).

The 76-77 Gan Furys had a "1/2 roof" too .. but the opera window shape was asymmetrical, wider rectangle, didn't have the brushed stainless 'band", and didn't "encase" the back glass as compared to the Monaco's.
UntitledEE2ccc1292.png
UntitledEE2ccc128.png

It looks like Redford was putting the Monaco roof on the Furys to make this "Gran Fury Landau"? While I am sure they could get the Diplomat roof parts from Chrysler, did the "body in white" of the Monaco vs Fury, allow then to do it in the dealership?

Example, again the shape of opera window .. a rectangle on the Monaco, and some rectangle-ish shape on the Gran Fury. First, I know nothing about how roofs are done .. my "shadetree" guess is the metal underneath structurally determined the shape of that window -- the factory put a "hole" in the C pillar?

LSS .. we have documentation that Redford was doing them. We have not to my knowledge turned up a Gran Fury with the V3 Diplomat roofs you could get from the factory on Monacos as we can see today. So, anybody seen a Gran Fury with the Diplomat roof recently? Owned one?

There are several "super sleuths" on this board .. now that @PeugFra showed documentation who will be first to find one - a real live version of one? I am gonna try in my "spare time" since we aint "naming that girl" or trying to find "brochure locations" anymore.:poke:

Last edited:
Just "V3-" is enough to indicate the Diplomat Package. The last letter is for the colour. Here's one with a colour different than black (X):

77-248741-DH23N7D248741-shippingnotice.jpg

Scrolling through this thread I found that the only other known dealer special is from Toledo, OH. That's as close as you can get to Detroit from Ohio. Sure, two known dealerships around Detroit offering dealer specials may be pure coincidence, but did the location have something to do with it?

Just "V3-" is enough to indicate the Diplomat Package. The last letter is for the colour. Here's one with a colour different than black (X) .. Scrolling through this thread I found that the only other known dealer special is from Toledo, OH. That's as close as you can get to Detroit from Ohio. Sure, two known dealerships around Detroit offering dealer specials may be pure coincidence, but did the location have something to do with it?
thanks on the color designation for roof --:)

On the dealer thing .. from my days in the industry, i DO know that dealers" proximity to OEM World HQ's lead to a couple things:

1. we'd run into these BIG dealers on the golf course, church, charity events, etc. Some even lived in gated communities where the Big three execs lived, etc. My daughter lives in LA, and is always running into "movie & TV stars" at the grocery store no less .. cuz that's where that industry is centered. My point is I am sure ideas got hatched in these informal meetups where auto industry was concentrated.

2. some of our biggest volume dealers were "local" -- e.g., draw a 200 mile circle around Detroit, including Canada and a large percentage of our biggest dealers were in that circle. BIG dealers like Redford was, no matter WHERE they were located, always had the OEM's ears but being nearby meant it was relatively easier, IMHO, to engage the industry's whole infrastructure (including the suppliers and body-builders) concentrated around Detroit.

I am NOT surprised therefore that "location" may be correlated to frequency of these dealer "one off" vehicales back in the day. Anything that could "move iron" was a shared goal between OEMS & dealers. and high volume dealers' voices were very "loud" back then.

I am NOT/NO WAY saying shady stuff was happening because of proximity .. I do know the bigger, local dealers seemed to be, in the past, "trying product/promotional stuff to sell cars" more often than dealers smaller and/or further away.

As to Redford .. the Chrysler BOD involved in the 1980 closure? There must be something else to that story back in the day not broadly known/troublesome?

Things are MUCH different structurally now with all the OEM's and their dealers given fewer of them, more dual/triple/ branded, changes in the OEM's themselves (no more "big three'), -etailers, etc.

So, never seen a GF Landau that I can remember. Plus this is NOT an area that is conducive to vehicle longevity because of weather. Maybe one will turn up in photos as I am not confident of one's survival for nearly 50 years up here.

Last edited:
View attachment 468883

searchin' far and wide for one ... 1970 is the year. PM me if you ever see one (here in the North America) that you don't want to buy

couple forum members chipping in for me. @Samplingman and @ayilar.

I have NOT been looking at 1969 Newps -- just the special edition '70 where Chrysler made the E85 "regular" (350 horse) 440 "standard" in the "Newport 440".

In 1969. turns out you could get an HP 440 ('TNT") in the Newport Custom as an optional engine, but you could NOT get the 350 horse "regular" version in the Newport. The regular 440 was standard in 300/New Yorker in 1969 though.

1645650386705.png

1645650418683.png

Now for 1970, I have seen this car a couple of times, a 1970 advertised a few times as at a TNT car, another time with a sign on it that said it was a 383 car.

Buy used Completly restored 1970 Crystler Newport convertible with 440 tnt in Searcy, Arkansas, United States, for US $18,500.00

1645649631926.png

Same car again we think

1645649698556.png

yet again we think, but with a sign on windshield saying its a 383 car
1645649771239.png

UntitledEE2ccc12110.png

Hence my confusion, and observation, of inability to confirm IF this vert is a A67, Newport 440 car.

While TNT equipped 1969 and 1970 Newps (CE23 and CE41 bodies only in 1970) could come from the factory, we are pretty sure in 1970 an A67 package was NOT offered on a VERT (we dont think verts were CE bodies).

In fact, the Newport 440 dealer bulletin specifically excluded an A67 package car from getting the optional 383-4V or 440-TNT in 1970 (carried over as options from 1969_

Last, it also does NOT appear you could order the 350 horse 440 in a 1970 Newport vert .. any engine EXCEPT that one was available .. another strike against this yellow '70 above being the elusive "Newport 440" unicorn I have been looking for.

An "A67 Newp 440" would have the E85 440 in it -- it seems in 1970 only. Also it doesnt appear an optional 440 of any kind continued into 1971 or 1972 for the non-fleet Newport.

source: Directory Index: Chrysler_and_Imperial/1971_Chrysler/1971_Chrysler_Features

1645652959229.png

My conclusion. I think the 1970 Newp 440 (factory 350 horse 440) was rare as hen's teeth -- then and surely now - as a one year only factory offering.

Somewhere (maybe 73's but surely before formal EOP, the standard (E85) 440 came into the Newport line as an option, while the (E86) HP became a fleet only offering -- except the 76 Newport squad car that I am STILL looking for)

While fusie 440 TNT Newp verts, hardtops, and coupes/sedans were obviously built (and a few dozen here on FCBO), a 1970, A67 version, with its --"440 fender badge" for its standard, otherwise-not-offered-in-Newport 350 horse E85 440, would be rare in the extreme.

UntitledEE2ccc12110.png

Thats why I want one -- its likely to be even more scarce than factory built optional 383 HP or 440 HP Newps (Civi or Police).

Will I still be joneisn' for either one of high performance, 4v, dual exhaust mills if one came up in any fusie Newport. Sure, one would always get my attention

The hunt goes on in any event....

Last edited:
My conclusion. I think the 1970 Newp 440 (factory 350 horse 440) was rare as hen's teeth -- then and surely now - as a one year only factory offering.

Somewhere (maybe 73's but surely before formal EOP, the standard (E85) 440 came into the Newport line as an option, while the (E86) HP became a fleet only offering -- except the 76 Newport squad car that I am STILL looking for)

appears by 1972, the 440 (E85) was back as an option in Newport. No E86 (HP) were offered in 1972 it seems-except in fleets
1645794471759.png

1973 was same as 1972. 440 back in Newport as option for standard 400, and no E86 offered except as fleet.

1645794036508.png

source Directory Index: Chrysler_and_Imperial/1973_Chrysler/1973_Chrysler_Data_Book

Last edited:
On the list of "rare hen's teeth" is the '74 only 400" cop car package.
True not-cat duals, actual dog dishes, bucket seats :wideyed:, etc.
Find me one in a Newport.
Preferably a non-vinyl 2 dr but I would not kick a sedan out of my garage.

couple forum members chipping in for me. @Samplingman and @ayilar.

While TNT equipped 1969 and 1970 Newps (CE23 and CE41 bodies only in 1970) could come from the factory, we are pretty sure in 1970 an A67 package was NOT offered on a VERT (we dont think verts were CE bodies).

One clarification: the 1969 and 1970 Newport convertibles were all tagged CE27 -- so they were regular Newports, not Newport Customs. Regardless, all 1969-1970 Newports (base and Custom) could be ordered with a 440 TNT engine -- the information is consistent in the brochures (which @amazinblue82 posted) and the dealership data books -- scans and links below (as always, thanks to the Hamtramck Registry for making that information available):

1969:
1645982629089.png

1970:

1645982428407.png

In other words, contrary to what one initially might have thought, it does NOT look like the 440 option in 1970 was a way to get a 440 on the base Newport, while keeping the TNT for the Newport Custom.

Surely one you just don't see everyday.

1981 Plymouth Sunrader

1656942451299.png

well -- lightning strikes me twice in a day. Sunrader had a "big bro".

The 1978 Dodge Dreamer. Never seen one/heard of one before today....

source: 1 of 100? 1978 Dodge Dreamer RV Hauler

20210116_105658.jpg

20210116_105710.jpg
20210116_105733.jpg

20210116_105835.jpg

Our "cousins" over on FBBO were one one almost a decade ago:

1656968016426.png
1656968099068.png
1656968129383.png
1656968066545.png

Last edited:
Well this thread is coming up on five years old. Started it looking for the "special edition C's" all through the forum

Post #1: Will try to see if this gains any traction. Hoping to construct ONE thread were all the "special edition", "spring specials", limited runs", road-worthy "prototypes" or other "one-offs", etc C-bodies are captured.

Hopefully we can post information like ads, pictures, mag articles, promotional and/or factory materials from back in the day. Even better, if we can find examples of these vehicles still on the road today.

Example to start was the "Mariner" .. brochure, to a parking lot in SE Michigan 40+ years later

View attachment 516462
View attachment 516461

a WHOLE bunch of cars (even Forward look cars back to the '50's), trucks, factory and dealer offerings, AMC's too, showed up. Quite a trip down "memory lane" for many of us.

About 50 different "special editions" turned up, many more than I would have thought we'd find.

Even a few got sorta "debunked" too -- ala the 1974 Imperial Crown Coupe below which was not a factory/dealer piece at all so those do not count - even if they were well done and even used "factory" parts/design cues.

View attachment 516467View attachment 516468

Anyway, there are a few "special" C's we identified early on and STILL have not "found" (an existing car and/or documentation it ever existed).

1. 1970 Newport 440: I am still personally looking for this one -- but nearly 7 years on the premier C body site I have not found a single one that I can verify was factory built that MY year (A67 code).

2. 1969 1/2 Fury "Diplomat": Maybe a rogue dealer deal, maybe just the Detroit region, whatever .... not one photo let alone a car still in existence.

3. 1973 Plymouth Aspen "basically a white 4drhtp Fury with a big blue snowflake on the side, ski racks and huge whitewall snowtires." Only one known to exist via eyewitness accounts. Most likely only seen at an auto show. If not saved by someone connected with Chrysler, it could easily be long gone by now. Hopefully some promotional material exists

If you know about any of these three, or any others you own(ed), have knowledge of, etc, please throw them in this thread.

Thank you all for helping out with this thread.
I have been a lurker here for quite some time, don’t know much about how these threads work or if I’m doing this right. But I finally have something exciting to add! I have found a 1968 Newport Spring Special Edition in Seafoam Turquoise Metallic with the two-tone white and turquoise seats. I have been researching (my husband thinks I’m nuts) and finally got confirmation it existed at Carlisle in July when I found the mailer advertisement with the wood grain car included on it like what you pictured. I was going to paint my meadow green car #4 (turquoise) and then I found the real thing. Please tell me to go buy it.

I have been a lurker here for quite some time, don’t know much about how these threads work or if I’m doing this right. But I finally have something exciting to add! I have found a 1968 Newport Spring Special Edition in Seafoam Turquoise Metallic with the two-tone white and turquoise seats. I have been researching (my husband thinks I’m nuts) and finally got confirmation it existed at Carlisle in July when I found the mailer advertisement with the wood grain car included on it like what you pictured. I was going to paint my meadow green car #4 (turquoise) and then I found the real thing. Please tell me to go buy it.
Thank you for posting. Do you have photos to share? That’s be great!

:welcome:

howdy ma'am.

thank you for posting the big event and a little back story -- finding your '68 Newport Spring Special is really cool!

Threads here line up in topical categories and your participation will follow your own particular interests -- you have many options, but don't worry you have come to one of the "right places" to talk about your special car.

One feature, though, that most all threads here have in common is pictures to show the subject of your post.

We are a buncha car enthusiasts of course, and I believe many of us can personally relate to your story. Seeing the car would be a neat thing to engage us all in your excitement -- if its something you wanted to share with the group you have a built-in audience here.

Welcome to the forum in any event. Hope things come together for you all on that cool Newp and we get to see more of it here if you decide to make it part of your family.

PS ... is this your Newport? we had this advertisement back at post #3 in this thread: "Special" Editions

01717_63vLRFPmzxDz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Back