Speedo screaming like a siren as speed increases??

mines been a driver for 20+ years and relatively problem free...but a bad ballast resistor caused a backfire that blew a hole in the muffler...i had bought HP manifolds 20 yrs ago and got a TTI exhaust a while back...and figured i'd swap the manifolds and detail the engine compartment...when i realized i'd have to pull the nose to pull the fender wells to paint the block and to torch the manifold bolts i realized it would be easier to pull the engine...so i gave it a compression test and then leakdown and #5 had 70% leakdown...so full engine rebuild later, pull the dash apart to replace evaporator core (since i wanted to change those 2 little heater hoses inside the box) ,repair rotted dash section and repaint entire dash, pull column to paint ,pull steering box for 2 seals,new fuse box, and just about every thing you can think of in the engine compartment , underdash,front suspension,etc finally get it together and running to take to our mopar show and the functioning-prior-to-the-rebuild gas tank sender dies,the speedo dies, and the left front brake caliper seizes up the night before the show...so that may have been the worlds most expensive ballast resistor

LOL!! yep!! I bought this FXCKEN THING!!! so I could just hop in and go cruising with the family to lunch or what ever and the bloody thing has been non stop fixing one thing then another and another and another....wished I kept my money in my pocket now!!!!

We all have the stories Oz.. Try to not despair if you can. Old cars are a labor of love and sometimes the best thing you can do is walk away for a bit and come back to it. When I first got my Newport, I could not get it started for weeks after putting the motor back together. I nearly sold it in frustration but stayed with it and won out in the end (engine wasn't getting enough fuel). 15 years later, I can say I am glad I toughed it out. I hope you get her straightened out.

Fluid film spray. Sprays on like a thin oil then sticks and firms up so as to not be drippy and leaking. Spray inside the hole into speedometer it will coat all the dry bushings and then stick without becoming hard and non lubricating. You can use it on the cable also but I just use oil for that so it can flow the entire length.
Fluid film is lanolin based so the smell will disappear in a day or two.

mines been a driver for 20+ years and relatively problem free...but a bad ballast resistor caused a backfire that blew a hole in the muffler...i had bought HP manifolds 20 yrs ago and got a TTI exhaust a while back...and figured i'd swap the manifolds and detail the engine compartment...when i realized i'd have to pull the nose to pull the fender wells to paint the block and to torch the manifold bolts i realized it would be easier to pull the engine...so i gave it a compression test and then leakdown and #5 had 70% leakdown...so full engine rebuild later, pull the dash apart to replace evaporator core (since i wanted to change those 2 little heater hoses inside the box) ,repair rotted dash section and repaint entire dash, pull column to paint ,pull steering box for 2 seals,new fuse box, and just about every thing you can think of in the engine compartment , underdash,front suspension,etc finally get it together and running to take to our mopar show and the functioning-prior-to-the-rebuild gas tank sender dies,the speedo dies, and the left front brake caliper seizes up the night before the show...so that may have been the worlds most expensive ballast resistor

Thanks mate, I just p1ssed myself laughing as I totally understand the never ending "what the fxck is wrong now???" screaming in your head at each new development these bloody cars flood our lives with LOL!!!!

How or where would I even begin trying to find one of them?
Well, where you are might be an issue, but, here in the states, you might find a good used speedo head, or, have a instrument shop re-bush it for you.

update...still havent done the speedo cause we had 2 shows 2 weeks apart...rebuilt calipers are currently nonexistant i think whoever's been supplying them to all the chains closed up so just got everything to rebuild them myself (showed up the day after the show)...so got to hit the show hoping the other caliper wouldn't seize...rained at the end of show and wipers (that i checked earlier when it began to drizzle) refused to work so got to drive home 30 miles pouring without them...got within 3 miles of the house and they wiped once and parked...with the switch off...

Back