Speedometer / Odometer Repair

Not sure about your noise, but what I've seen go wrong with these, is something hangs up in the trip odometer, and the plastic gears get chewed up.

I was looking at it today and trying to see how the dash will come apart to get the speedo out.
I have large hands and I can't even start to get my hand up in there to unscrew the cable from the speedo connector.
I noticed that now, since it started making the noise, the reset for the trip meter no longer works.
I can turn it but it doesn't rotate the trip meter numbers.

Typical Mopar setup. Picture is easier than words.

28sopqe.jpg
Thanks for the photo. I have to have a look after the few car show coming up.

let me jump on this thread - i was trying to work on my speedo today,, it was unhooked when i bought my car (68 furyIII, clip on style ^^ speedo cable) . . so anyways, the needle is pointed at '90 mph' right now.
i clicked the speedo cable on there and took off driving... the odometer works well, but the speed needle looked like a laff-o-meter, going side to side all crazy. when i hit about 40 -50 mph, it stuck at the right side past 120 and stayed there.
i pulled over and unhooked it again...

what is the diagnosis, doctor?

thanks for the advice!
- Saylor

A speedometer transplant.
What's happening is very common and look for a used one and cross your fingers or send it out to get it rebuilt ($$).
Everyone will say lube up the cable but....

< Sent from my tablet >

Pulling my car in the garage for this kind of stuff today. My speedometer is making noticable noise at lower MPH. I've had this speedo out/cable unhooked before, so should be pretty straight forward again.

Should I spray the plastic gears with the same graphite/lubricant stuff as well? Everything seems to be working good, just making a nasty little noise....

Back