starting a 69 300

1bad300

Reaction score
I have a 69 Chrysler 300. putting the key to crank it will crank and fire....as soon as I let the key go it dies....

Jumper out the resistor and try it. If it works, you have your answer. Don't run it too long for your coil's sake.

it will run though without the key by jumping the starter solenoid and powering the ballast with battery power....it runs...just when trying to run it via the key it fires then dies...

it will run though without the key by jumping the starter solenoid and powering the ballast with battery power....it runs...just when trying to run it via the key it fires then dies...
If that's the case, you either have a problem with the wiring from the ballast resistor to the ignition switch or a bad ignition switch. Time to start looking at the wiring diagrams in the FSM and tracing the wires back to the switch. Pay attention to the connection at the firewall.

If you don't have a FSM, grab one here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

from the key to the bulkhead connector was found hanging there....after I re pinned it.....it runs...

Back