Static timing and GMG

mcmlvii

Reaction score
I don't know why I watch Gas Monkey Garage. Must be that fall off the ladder a couple years back that has messed up my brain. Anyway, watching these characters try to start the motor in their supposed million-dollar '67 Firebird, they crank the engine over. Fire belches up the carb. Turn the distributor a little. More cranking, more fire out the carb. More distributor tweaking (or is that twerking), more drama....

When I put in new points a couple weeks ago (which I'm presuming their "back to stock restoration" Firebird has), I put the timing mark on 10 BTDC, turned the distributor until I heard the spark 'tick' of the points opening, and clamped down the distributor. Car started right up. No fitzing with the distributor, no fire, no drama. Maybe an occasional fire is good for a TV series.

I guess I wouldn't make a good reality TV star. Maybe it's time to get an extra hour's sleep on Monday nights.

i would like to say its just for the show but some of the things I've heard about some of those guys I am not so sure. I can say that they will never even get to look at one of my cars much less touch one. And I sure as hell wouldn't ever buy one from them. That is more going back over someone else's crap than I would ever want to go through.

Back