Steering coupler "pot" dowel pin help

challenger

Reaction score
How difficult is it to get the dowel pin out of the steering shaft? I hammered on mine for a little while and then thought to use the WWW. I didn't find much so here I am. Some info said use a press and I don't own one (yet). I have a kit with all new parts so destroying the pin isn't a problem and may actually be prefered . :D
Thanks

Lube it good with cold shot or something. Start from the wide tapered side. Use a flat tip punch slightly smaller than the pin. And in all his honesty wack the heck out of it. I hold the punch with a pair of vise grips so I don't hit my hand. I know it's hard to hit it as it down in the engine bay. Just hit as hard as you can. This unsticks it & from then on you can tap it out. You need that first initial wack or two or else you will be there for hours. If you use a punch too small you will drive it through the roll pin hole & that's not good. If you use a punch the same size you risk driving it in & the pin out. Slightly smaller than the outer size. You hit hard it's going to move. The lube will help prevent the punch from getting stuck.

OK I should have been more specific. The steering column is out of the vehicle and I am referring to the dowel pin that holds the coupling shoes not the roll pin that holds the coupling to the steering gear box.
Anyway the point is mute as I just came back inside from stretching the new seal over the old pin. I read that they would stretch and I decided to try it and it worked. The old pin had no measurable wear. The car has less than 60K miles on it and I was mainly just looking to replace the seal while I had the steering column out.
Thanks for the help anyway.

I'm issuing a full refund of the price you paid. As the saying goes, "The check is in the mail" .
Isn't it sad that this is yet another saying that will soon have people saying WTF when they hear it? I doubt most people even use checks anymore.

The shoes are the softest material in there. The pot and pin usually don't wear unless really abused.
You would need a press, hitting will only mushroom it.

I'm issuing a full refund of the price you paid. As the saying goes, "The check is in the mail" .
Isn't it sad that this is yet another saying that will soon have people saying WTF when they hear it? I doubt most people even use checks anymore.

Well. . . For sure, not many folks can even write a check. Since the schools aren't teaching cursive hand writing anymore, I doubt their signatures are any good either. . .

Something some might find funny. When my wife an I got married 11 years ago see didn't have a debit card, credit card or a credit rating. For that matter the only people she had ever owned anything was her parents. Just a frugal gal that paid for everything with cash or check.

Well. . . For sure, not many folks can even write a check. Since the schools aren't teaching cursive hand writing anymore, I doubt their signatures are any good either. . .

My wife is making sure to teach our children cursive. Supposedly they've done studies that show that simply learning to read and write cursive increases learning abilities.

Back