Steering gear slop and noise!?

I managed to adjust it about 1/4 turn more. When the engine is running and the powersteering is pressureized, there is no slop.... the pitman arm and the wheels move when I move the wheel very minimal. That should be fine?

I managed to adjust it about 1/4 turn more. When the engine is running and the powersteering is pressureized, there is no slop.... the pitman arm and the wheels move when I move the wheel very minimal. That should be fine?
Worth a try. It may be too tight & burn the box up.

The gear would seem to be capable of being adjusted to reduce slop. Use our old shop trick, center the wheels and back off the adjusting nut 1/2 turn. Take a torque wrench and tighten the adjuster to 15 ft/lbs and lock the jam nut and call it good.

Dave

We used to jack up the front until the wheels were free. Grab the tire and rotate left and right. As the wheel is centered it will get harder to turn as the gears are at their highest point. You shouldn’t have much resistance or the adjuster is over adjusted if you do just back off. If not turn in by small increments until you feel some resistance. Once you get it to the point you feel a slight resistance stop. Noise is not good so it may need to be replaced but this may get you by for awhile.

okay so what I did was... i loosened the nut and then turned the adjuster til I felt resistance. I only had a tiny *** screwdriver so i tried giving it a little "extra" and then tightened the nut. It felt pretty smoot going left and right without powersteering and didnt hang up...

You aren’t looking for tightness on the adjusting screw but resistance to turning the wheels. It is a bit difficult to explain in words and comes with experience. If when you grab the tire and turn it left and right there should be minimal resistance as the tires is in the straight ahead position. As mentioned earlier if it is too tight the box will not last. Also you really need an Allen key for this procedure as you need to hold the adjuster while tightening the lock but.

Back