Steering Shaft Length on Tilt/Telescopic Column?

sprice

Reaction score
Would anyone know what the shaft length is supposed to be on a late 60's C-Body might be? Am working on a 68 Chrysler 300and have switched over to a tilt/tele column however I am 2-3/4" short. Here's the situation. a) I did have it apart somewhat to paint and know there is a collapsible shaft inside. I cannot remember if I moved it or if standing up I inadvertently moved it. b) changed to a Borgeson steering box with the matching Borgeson u-joint. c) I am at 41.5" from top of shaft (steering wheel) to bottom of shaft. Not sure if this is best way to measure as the shaft coming out the top is not part of the shaft itself but rather the telescoping mechanism.

Thinking I may have pushed the collapsible shaft inside. A measurement would be a starting point or any comments. Thanks.

I'm not 100% on this, (others will comment), but the Chryslers had a longer wheelbase than the Dodge or Plymouth. Your tilt column may have come from one of those explaining the length difference. How to best compensate for that I can't say, I'd start with a parts manual and compare the differences between the different model/columns.

I think the Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge should all be the same and it’s just the imperial that is longer.

I don't think you can easily or accidentally collapse the center shaft on a C body column because it has the lower bearing to hold things in place.

I should have a tilt/telescopic in inventory. I'll see if I can get a measurement off of it.

Jeff

Yes, I have the bearing off to see if I have some play and found about an inch but don't want to force anything. The measurement would be great.

Here's some photos. Let me know if you need something different. I tried to pick a few different reference points. It's kind of dark where the column is, so they aren't the best.

It's about 5-3/4" from the surface of the bearing retainer to the step in the shaft.
IMG_0738.JPG

With the tape measure resting on the shift lever slot, the side that's closer to the steering wheel, it's about 7-7/8" to the step.
IMG_0737.JPG

With the tape measure hooked in the slot near the mounting bracket, side of slot further from the steering wheel, it measures a little less than 25" to the step.
IMG_0739.JPG

tilt column.jpg

tilt column 2.jpg

Jeff

Back