Steering wheel not centered.

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
last night I swapped out my really good 78 NYB steering wheel for my not so nice 77 T&C wheel. They fit either car, but on the wagon, the wheel is off about 1/16 to an 1/8 of a turn. The manual said and showed a double space spline on the steering shaft to center the wheel. I thought I hit it, but it is off with everything reattached and working. It was off a little before the swap. Car steers and tracks straight. The alignment is good. If anything, is there a way to center the wheel through the steering shaft? Or do I pull the wheel and force it back on?

Loosen and turn the tie rods. If you do it right, take out one side and put the exact same amount in on the other, you'll be fine.

Loosen and turn the tie rods. If you do it right, take out one side and put the exact same amount in on the other, you'll be fine.
You're right, it can be done that way... but I might add on going high tech with a piece of string to make sure the toe stays the same...

so what I am reading here is that i likely got the wheel on right but the system needs a realignment. That is easy enough to get done at the shop. It will be going for new tires anyway.

When I reinstall a steering wheel (after doing a crack repair) it usually takes 2 or 3 tries to get it back on straight. I'm surprised at the advice to start messing with the alignment.

When I reinstall a steering wheel (after doing a crack repair) it usually takes 2 or 3 tries to get it back on straight. I'm surprised at the advice to start messing with the alignment.
Well... There's a double spline on the column and the wheel that makes you put the wheel on one way only. So there's no moving the wheel.

If you do it correctly, you aren't changing the toe at all. Take a half turn on one side, a half turn the opposite direction on the other side... It's not rocket surgery.... Although a string or the even higher tech tape measure is a very good suggestion.

When working on cars, it's nice to know how they are assembled. Assembled in the most expeditious time AND to do it so that no corrections are needed in final assembly checks. This is why that, sometimes, when two bolts should be 180 degrees apart, they are 170 or 190 degrees from each other, to guarantee they are assembled in only ONE position. The "dead spline" on the upper steering column is no different. To put the steering wheel on "against" that double-width spline, it'd take quite a bit of effort . . . although some might just think it was cantankerous. "Path of least resistance" is best.

ONE place this "one way" assembly is not done is on the tilt wheel "sphere joints", such that the upper shaft can be installed 180 degrees out. SO when taking that joint apart, always make sure the upper shaft has the dead spline at "12:00 Noon" position. This might sound like a minor thing, but it also repositions the steering wheel lock plate AND the position of the turn signal cam, such that the turn signals might not cancel at the times they should.

In cases where the position is not critical, then holes 180 degrees apart will happen. But if they don't, re-check!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The other way,to move your wheel position (albeit a pain in the butt) is to knock the drift pin out of the coupling on the steering gear and move the coupling one spline in which ever direction the wheel needs to move. If you are going to get the car lined up any way, this is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Dave.

last night I swapped out my really good 78 NYB steering wheel for my not so nice 77 T&C wheel. They fit either car, but on the wagon, the wheel is off about 1/16 to an 1/8 of a turn. The manual said and showed a double space spline on the steering shaft to center the wheel. I thought I hit it, but it is off with everything reattached and working. It was off a little before the swap. Car steers and tracks straight. The alignment is good. If anything, is there a way to center the wheel through the steering shaft? Or do I pull the wheel and force it back on?

Another choice might be to put your really good wheel back on and wrap it with that light weight foam stuff and put a leather cover over all that to protect it.

Dave

Took it to my local mechanic. Asked him to drop the front end 1/2” ( was a tad high), center the wheel and do an alignment. Maybe $100. Done.

Back