Steering wheel

Jim Torstensson

Reaction score
Hello,i have one chrysler new yorker 1967. Can i adjustment the steering wheel? I have the steering in my fat
stomach:).

Not with the standard wheel and column.

You could purchase and install a tilt wheel and column, but that's going to be expensive if you can't find one for sale in Europe.

Jeff

Tilt/telescopic offered?
Yes, since 1965, IIRC.

But even that might not really help unless the added thickness of the combined wheel/horn button are not or can not be lessened from what the factory steering wheel might be with the normal column.

Perhaps it might be easier to find a power seat assy than a tilt/telescope steering wheel/column? Many more cars had power seats than tilt/tele columns back then. Plus you are not governed by nothces in the adjuster with a power seat track. Might also be that the unattached power lead might already be in place for the power seat?

An observed issue is that not all cars "fit" all people, even when it seems there might be enough room for such.

Just some thougths,
CBODY67

Can the bench seat itself be mounted to the floor further back? I seem to recall there was a different set of mounting holes in the seat base...

Can the bench seat itself be mounted to the floor further back? I seem to recall there was a different set of mounting holes in the seat base...

My 64 bench is able to tilt and slide on the steel track. One bolt to loosen on each side. It might give you enough space.

1966 was the last year for that adjustable non-power seat track, as I recall. But it should also fit the later '67-'68 models too, I suspect, as they are (or should be) the same floorpan stampings.

One needs to be a bit careful in just drilling holes in the floorpan, though, to me. Some areas might be stronger (and better able to support weight, due to their shape/design) than others might be a few inches away. Which is why the power seat orientation makes more sense to me.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Best way is to lose the belly, but that's easier said than done. I've been there, done that, so I can say that it works, but is difficult.

Easiest and cheapest way is a smaller steering wheel. There are some very tasteful aftermarket wheels available.

Flaming River has aftermarket adjustable steering columns and that may be a good alternative to finding a stock adjustable column.

1966 was the last year for that adjustable non-power seat track, as I recall. But it should also fit the later '67-'68 models too, I suspect, as they are (or should be) the same floorpan stampings.

One needs to be a bit careful in just drilling holes in the floorpan, though, to me. Some areas might be stronger (and better able to support weight, due to their shape/design) than others might be a few inches away. Which is why the power seat orientation makes more sense to me.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I guess I didn't make myself fully clear. I thought there was a separate set of holes further forward on the actual seat frame, which would put the seat back by some 2-3 more inches. No modifications would ever be made to the actual floorpan.

Hello,i have one chrysler new yorker 1967. Can i adjustment the steering wheel? I have the steering in my fat

Ahem! Seems like there was a lot more room in these things when I was 18.
I’d like to move my drivers seat back at least 3 inches.

Couldn't help but notice that the 67 New Yorker up for auction on the Texas Mopar Hoard thread has the tilt/ telescopic wheel!

I had the same problem with my "Steering wheel to belly ratio" in my Dodge, then I joined Jenny Craig. It took some time and effort (around two years), but most of my Fitting problem disappeared when my belly disappeared. Do they have "Jenny Craig" in Sweden?

Best way is to lose the belly, but that's easier said than done. I've been there, done that, so I can say that it works, but is difficult.

Easiest and cheapest way is a smaller steering wheel. There are some very tasteful aftermarket wheels available.

Flaming River has aftermarket adjustable steering columns and that may be a good alternative to finding a stock adjustable column.
Grant have nice streering wheel to:)

13DEFC3B-BB06-4D03-955E-0B9D2E5EDB40.jpeg

In my case it isn’t an issue with the gut vs wheel it is how close the seat is period. I’m used to a more arms and legs extended position as in my BMW.

Perhaps something like this to keep both floor and seat track holes where they are but provide some adjustability. This Superstrut stuff is heavy 14 gauge steel and uses 1/2" mounting hardware.

upload_2021-10-5_8-57-32.png

Or the channel itself but it will raise the seat a bit.

upload_2021-10-5_8-59-7.png

I guess I didn't make myself fully clear. I thought there was a separate set of holes further forward on the actual seat frame, which would put the seat back by some 2-3 more inches. No modifications would ever be made to the actual floorpan.
I know on my 67 Barracuda (buckets) and my 69 Polara (bench) if you take the seat out and look at the studs on the bottom of he seat you will see a couple other mounting points to move the studs on the seat adjusters. I think the default location is the middle, you might gain an inch, not sure if you can drill more.

On the bottom edge of this picture you can see the mounting studs, the holes on each side are the alternate mounting locations.
6way69b_04.jpg

Alan

I know on my 67 Barracuda (buckets) and my 69 Polara (bench) if you take the seat out and look at the studs on the bottom of he seat you will see a couple other mounting points to move the studs on the seat adjusters. I think the default location is the middle, you might gain an inch, not sure if you can drill more.

On the bottom edge of this picture you can see the mounting studs, the holes on each side are the alternate mounting locations.
View attachment 489433

Alan

This exactly what I was talking about...

‘68 Polara bench rails have three mounting holes. As stated above you can press out the studs and move them to the next hole. May give another 1”-1-1/2” movement back.

Back