Stewart Warner gauge install project....

GBsPanhead

Reaction score
SW 'Green Line' gauges came late this afternoon today. Spent part of the day changing spark plugs. All 8 plugs were a nice tan/light brown. That's a good thing!

Anyways, I didn't realize the gauges didn't come with the senders, so placed another order with Summit tonight. Good thing with Summit for me is they are in NV. Can usually place order, and get parts the next day since they are so close.

The polished mounting bracket is very nice. No mounting holes in the bracket so you can custom design. I don't want to drill ANY part of my new car, so fortunately there appear to be some small rectangle openings from the factory already where I want to center the bracket. I'll work on mounting bracket Friday. I run all my wires/sender cables in a mesh covering, with ends secured by shrink tube. Will look clean, and will take pics if anyone is interested. All wire connections will be soldered, with shrink tube.

Just a quick pic I took tonight. Spent most of day cleaning up area where my old Dodge was...

Headed to her new home. Not too far, my future son in laws house!

dod 1.jpg

gauge1.jpg

SW 'Green Line' gauges came late this afternoon today. Spent part of the day changing spark plugs. All 8 plugs were a nice tan/light brown. That's a good thing!

Anyways, I didn't realize the gauges didn't come with the senders, so placed another order with Summit tonight. Good thing with Summit for me is they are in NV. Can usually place order, and get parts the next day since they are so close.

The polished mounting bracket is very nice. No mounting holes in the bracket so you can custom design. I don't want to drill ANY part of my new car, so fortunately there appear to be some small rectangle openings from the factory already where I want to center the bracket. I'll work on mounting bracket Friday. I run all my wires/sender cables in a mesh covering, with ends secured by shrink tube. Will look clean, and will take pics if anyone is interested. All wire connections will be soldered, with shrink tube.

Just a quick pic I took tonight. Spent most of day cleaning up area where my old Dodge was...

Headed to her new home. Not too far, my future son in laws house!

View attachment 194656

View attachment 194657

Very nice looking setup. Did you install these gauges in a manner that still allows the idiot lights (oil & temp) to also work?

Gauges not installed yet. Just mocking it up. Hangin' with Grandkids today.

But, I will be using both gauges, and idiot lights. Once I remove years of crud on rear of motor, I will use the 2nd plug for oil pressure sender. For water temp, I'm thinking I can configure a 'T' connection for both the OEM sender and new SW sender, unless there is another area that would be cleaner looking? I saw on some water pumps there was a plug on top next to the PS pump bracket, but I don't have one. Thought about checking the block, but don't want to really go that route in case something goes sideways while removing the plug(s).

20180629_090729.jpg

20180629_090753.jpg

Gauges not installed yet. Just mocking it up. Hangin' with Grandkids today.

But, I will be using both gauges, and idiot lights. Once I remove years of crud on rear of motor, I will use the 2nd plug for oil pressure sender. For water temp, I'm thinking I can configure a 'T' connection for both the OEM sender and new SW sender, unless there is another area that would be cleaner looking? I saw on some water pumps there was a plug on top next to the PS pump bracket, but I don't have one. Thought about checking the block, but don't want to really go that route in case something goes sideways while removing the plug(s).

View attachment 194778

View attachment 194779

I'm planning to do the same thing with a couple of gauges I just got. I think the water temp sender is gonna be a problem, however.

Just be careful mounting the temp sensors
They like to be directly in the flow of coolant

Oil pressure doesn’t matter
I have dual running as well
It saved my engine one night when I lost my drain plug
The light came on like a beacon and I was able to shut down instantly and coasted to a stop

Just be careful mounting the temp sensors
They like to be directly in the flow of coolant

Be interesting to see how close the temperature gauge reads to the actual temperature. I placed a second gauge in my F100 with the sender just past the thermostat in the housing. The original sender is in the intake before the thermostat. While the original gauge reads half way the second gauge says the water temp is pushing past 240 degrees. A thermometer in the radiator has the water at 205 along the top. Two senders and both 35 degrees over making the gauge useless.

Hopefully your water pump housing has one of these plugs where you can put the gauge sensor at...
20180630_133535.jpg

This is where I plugged in my gauge. (440 cid)

View attachment 194956

That's where I'm going to T off from. I still have my idiot light connected there, will make up a T fitting....hopefully! I don't see any other ports like shown in some of the pics above, but I do have a bunch of brackets in front of the pump, so cant really see front of pump.

That's where I'm going to T off from. I still have my idiot light connected there, will make up a T fitting....hopefully! I don't see any other ports like shown in some of the pics above, but I do have a bunch of brackets in front of the pump, so cant really see front of pump.

Take a gander just above that port, under the hose in my pic...IIRC, that is where my stock one is connected. I have access to the GTX at present, so I cant take a closer pic for you if you like.

The gauges didn't come with the senders? That really sucks, I have always seen the senders with the gauges.

MarPar...your pic shows where my OEM sender is now...right? Maybe I missed something. If you have more pics, that would be greatly apprecitated! ThankS!!

Back