Stewart Warner gauge install project....

MarPar...your pic shows where my OEM sender is now...right? Maybe I missed something. If you have more pics, that would be greatly apprecitated! ThankS!!

No Sir. If i remember correctly, I put the secondary gauge in my pic. The OEM plug is just above it.
MarPar...your pic shows where my OEM sender is now...right? Maybe I missed something. If you have more pics, that would be greatly apprecitated! ThankS!!

I will take a clear pic of my water pump...standby.

Time flies!! lol

Closeup pics...I hope they help!

Brass plug is aftermarket gauge (installed by me), rubber boot is oem (I reckon).

DSC02739.JPG
DSC02748.JPG
DSC02758.JPG

Now I see! Thanks!! That's what mine looks like. I have that same bracket, plug is buried in there somewhere. I'll break out the flashlight in the morning and take a better look. Thanks again, pics speak a 1000 words!!

hey do yall happen to know teh size of those 2 water pipes for the ac/heater hoses? thx! View attachment 195217

I think I found the place to install the sensor for my AutoMeter temperature gauge. Looks like I can have both the idiot light and the gauge. I discovered a little plug I was able to remove, and the sensor for the gauge screwed right in it's place. Here it is on the right with the original large two-prong sensor on the left:

Copy of IMG_20180701_112348220.jpg

I don't have a plug/hole where that smaller brass fitting is to the right on the top next to the thermostat area. I saw that area in another thread somewhere. I'll double check in a bit. Watchin' NASCAR now lol.

I'm going to put gages in my 78 NYB too after installing the new engine.

I do like your choice of gages.

Remember that some gages use a mechanical "sensor/thermocouple" and some use a electric switch.

I'm going to have to go back and look at mine. I installed a "t" even though I didn't want too. I'm fairly sure that I don't have the port that is on top of the pump underneath where the AC compressor would be. I'll be looking for the one over by the heater hoses.

I'm going to have to go back and look at mine. I installed a "t" even though I didn't want too. I'm fairly sure that I don't have the port that is on top of the pump underneath where the AC compressor would be. I'll be looking for the one over by the heater hoses.

John: If you have a 440 or a 383 in your car, its there. It takes a 9/32 mini socket.

20180629_090753-jpg.jpg
\

Gud Gawd! is that one dirty engine! My first priority would be Steam Clean, (or copious amounts of GUNK)

Nice to see someone spray painted over the crud! :wideyed:

Anyways, I didn't realize the gauges didn't come with the senders,

Electric gauges don't (to many different applications GM vs Ferd vs Mopar, vs on & on). Mechanical do, although you may need to order tubing & fittings for oil pressure separately, depends on your parts guy or online catalog.

Mechanical water temp is all sealed tube with sensor, (may need reducer adapter)
Mechanical Oil, requires plastic tube to gauge, can be 'T'ed" with brass fittings (not included)
Some don't like the idea of the oil tube running into interior (leaks)
Volts is not mechanical just needs to be properly wired.
Vacuum is all mechanical, simple vac tube to manifold, (don't port to carb). Your choice of tubing (or what was supplied with gauges).

Thankfully Pep Boys is having a sale on chemicals! Gunk 2 for 7 bucks, also Brake Clean is 2 for 7 bucks! Stocked up!!! Used two cans of Gunk, can actually see the plug now, nice and clean at rear of block! Still could use more scrubbing, but hard to reach all areas. Always get nervous when starting a old car after spraying water all over motor. She started right up. Didn't spray directly on distributor cap or any electronics.

Sensors showed up today. Will install those Tuesday after work. Off Wednesday, should be able to get a lot done that day.

Electric gauges don't (to many different applications GM vs Ferd vs Mopar, vs on & on). Mechanical do, although you may need to order tubing & fittings for oil pressure separately, depends on your parts guy or online catalog.

Mechanical water temp is all sealed tube with sensor, (may need reducer adapter)
Mechanical Oil, requires plastic tube to gauge, can be 'T'ed" with brass fittings (not included)
Some don't like the idea of the oil tube running into interior (leaks)
Volts is not mechanical just needs to be properly wired.
Vacuum is all mechanical, simple vac tube to manifold, (don't port to carb). Your choice of tubing (or what was supplied with gauges).

I'm using electric gauges for water temp, and oil pressure. So just wires for me, except on vacuum gauge.

Back