Stinkin Master Cylinder Studs

66furys

Reaction score
So, mother mopar in her infinite wisdom, used studs thru the MC that had nuts on the inside.....on the bottom two bolts for the master cylinder. I call foul. Mine are rusted out and not tight. So, new at high price, or epoxy them into the MC. I am going to go a different route here. The new MC bolts fit fine....thx for that. But, I am going to use the two top studs to hold the MC in place, and then, I am going to get two 5/16 grade 8 bolts, ensure they fit thru, then use something to glue them in place from the inside. Prob will not use JB weld epoxy, but prob gorilla glue that could be removed if desired later. I will push them thru from inside, and add nutz from the outside, and let the glue harden. The h*** will the mopar demented dream.....sorry.

On any item for which there can be a bit of a gap between the stud/bolt and the item being tightened, you might consider using a flat washer under the nut to get a better clamping force. IF a flange-head nut is not being used.

Presuming you have a non-power brake car? Otherwise the booster's studs would be what the nuts would be screwing onto from the inside?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

This one is the 66 that WAS a single MC, and someone added the dual. But, I see that mopar uses this stud on the two lower " bolts". So, since mine are rusted and not able to fit again into the new MC, I am being the non-creative one that the good Lord created.....numbnutz. So, I will NOT go back with expensive studs.....but move to something that makes some sense to me.....fixed and glued fastener from the firewall, and nutz on the outside.....somewhat easier to deal with. So, put bolts thru from inside with glue, never to be dealt with again. Nothing easy yet.

dang I guess I haven't priced master cylinder studs in a while.... but looks like they average $20-$40 ???
yeah, pricey I guess for a couple bolts, but it's that old question, while you're rolling down the highway, do you really want to cheap out on brake parts?

Yup, some on ebay are 75 buks, yes some cheaper ones with carriage type heads.....but the grade 8 bolts I intend to use will be good.....like Admiral Gorshkov said.....better is the enemy of good enough. But one more advantage will be that I can more easily get my paws up to push thru a bolt than I can to start a nut....esp the passenger side one. Yes, I am becoming a wusss.

Back