Strange problem this a.m.

So here we see the ignition switch (left) and the key cylinder (right). It feels like there is play in the cylinder "action" when it is in the next to last position.."on". According to the owners manual there are 5 positions..."acc", "lock", "off", "on", & "start". When the key is turned to the "on" position....it can be shimmied a bit so that power to the voltmeter, gauge lamps, the turn signals, wipers and rear window blower is completely cut off. This is not typical because usually when the key is turned to the "on" position just before starting the car the gauge lamps will "dim" but still stay on while the starter is actually being engaged. I think the cylinder is faulty.

IMG_4747.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

All your movement action happens through the ignition switch. It controls how tight or loose the key will turn. The tumblers seldom fail. You could also replace it.

As per instructions from GM, remove all additional keys from the ring. :poke:The extra weight is causing your intermittent problem. It is not the switch. I read it on the internet so it must be true.:shruggy:

As per instructions from GM, remove all additional keys from the ring. :poke:The extra weight is causing your intermittent problem. It is not the switch. I read it on the internet so it must be true.:shruggy:
Sounds plausible.

Back