Strange problem this a.m.

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I just happen to look down and noticed the voltmeter gauge stop registering as I was driving this morning (the factory amp gauge is bypassed). Also the turn signals, the tachometer and wipers bombed out (everything else works...interior lights, horn, heat, cig lighter..) I stopped to park thinking it was just a fuse. It was fine. So I try to restart the engine and turn the key....it cranks, cranks and cranks but will not flip over. Did this multiple times before finally popping the hood. I ruled out a no spark condition as I had someone get in and turn the key while I held the coil wire - dist tower end. (I know thats shade tree stuff but it was cold and I didn't feel like pulling my test light/multimeter rig out). Nonetheless there's plenty of juice cause it went right thru me (also negates bad orange box, voltage reg, busted/crack ballast resistor). Fuel pressure is good.
So I sit and crank, crank, crank it....finally not wanting to run the battery down I let the car sit for a good hour. I turn the key again, crank crank crank crank now it starts to sound like the engine is trying to catch so I stay on it and finally trips and stumbles over. Usually it only takes a quick flip of the key and the car starts immediately.

Any ideas what's going on here? Obviously it can't be a fuse.

cvr working, fusable link?

That's what I'm thinking. Does the car have a tach? If so and the cvr isn't working the tach can be killing the ignition feed and killing some of the spark causing this kind of trouble. I would also make sure that the orange box ground is good and not coming loose or has become dirty as that can create an issue that would cause something like this as well.

Coil **** the bed.
Enough juice to make spark, not enough to run car.
Cold snap will make marginal coil poop out.
Plug in a new coil... :D

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
cvr working, fusable link?
I had to replace/remake that two years ago because the original burned up (did its job). The new one (or replacement) looks undisturbed. They way I made it up it is easy to see if it burn/melted even the slightest bit.

That is a strange problem if you really got a strong spark and fuel coming to carb...

Was your starter cranking any weaker than usual?

I should've added that the tach, turn signals, Wipers, everything the stopped working before hand started working again on the way back home....like nothing ever happened.

Coil **** the bed.
Enough juice to make spark, not enough to run car.
Cold snap will make marginal coil poop out.
Plug in a new coil... :D

Coil is new....about 3 months ago. Hasn't run much though (car has been parked in garage).

That is a strange problem if you really got a strong spark and fuel coming to carb...

Was your starter cranking any weaker than usual?
Yea the spark is pretty strong....hurt going thru me,lol. The battery is fresh...there was no diminishing in it spinning the starter motor, but I didn't want to stay on it constantly and risk draining it while sitting there.

With all the unrelated issues I would look at the bulkhead connector.
Ya, you know what Wil, that popped up in my mind too. Nothing here is related. Dead blinkers and tachometer won't stop the car in its tracks..thats a fuse problem. Last summer I noticed one of the "prongs' in one of the connectors was loose. It could be moved in and out just a tiny bit. I greased the inside of that particular connector with die electric grease and snapped back in place. I wonder....

He said "spark", not " strong spark".

He got a kick from it, didn't he?

Anyway, if the spark is just a spark with no full power, it could be anything from the ignition lock to spark plugs...

I would check the bulk connector as Will suggested and take a good look under the hood AND dash if there is some bad wiring...

He got a kick from it, didn't he?

Anyway, if the spark is just a spark with no full power, it could be anything from the ignition lock to spark plugs...

I would check the bulk connector as Will suggested and take a good look under the hood AND dash if there is some bad wiring...
HaHa..there is definitely full spark. I starting to think about the bulkhead connector also.

Back