Stupid question - can't remove map light bulb

Edison

Reaction score
I replaced the dome light bulb and man its the brightest dome light I've ever seen. I'm trying to change the map light on my 66 Newport and I can't get the damn bulb out. I removed the lense, and couldn't really get at it. I thought the chrome part and the socket were one part so I removed the switch assembly thing thinking I could get to the bulb but not much better. I feel it push in and feel like it pushes in and turns. I can't get it to turn or anything. I can barely get my fingers around it.

Any tips for this? I feel like a fail.

I have run into this problem. I carefully used a pair of needle nose pliers. Straight or curved. Which ever works best. Just don't break the glass or it will be even tougher to remove

Sorry, can't help, but seems ironic that "Edison" is having trouble with a light bulb. The needle nose plier trick is a good idea, but maybe use a bit of electrical tape between the bulb and the pliers.

Yes sometime you can loop a piece of tape & slide it over the bulb. It doesn't need to stick that well. Just protect the bulb from the force of the pliers.

If you have the dome light out of the car, this will be easier... and you won't stain the headliner.

It sounds to me like you have some corrosion that is making the bulb base stick to the socket. I'd spray some penetrating oil (my fav is PB Blaster) in it and let it sit overnight. Push in and turn.... wiggle etc... It should come out.

If you break the glass.... that's not such a bad thing... It may even be easier. You can grab the edge of the bulb base then with needle nose pliers and fold the base into itself.

X2 I've often been happy to break a bulb and then remove then keep on fighting with one you can't get out. Pb blaster is awesome stuff.

If you have the dome light out of the car, this will be easier... and you won't stain the headliner.

It sounds to me like you have some corrosion that is making the bulb base stick to the socket. I'd spray some penetrating oil (my fav is PB Blaster) in it and let it sit overnight. Push in and turn.... wiggle etc... It should come out.

If you break the glass.... that's not such a bad thing... It may even be easier. You can grab the edge of the bulb base then with needle nose pliers and fold the base into itself.

He's working with the map light not the dome light. The map light bulb is much harder to get at

I replaced many, many burnt bulbs by sacrificing them to needlenose gods. Glass be damned. That can be vacuumed.

He's working with the map light not the dome light. The map light bulb is much harder to get at

Oops... Read the first sentence and got confused.

Substitute "Map" for "dome" in my post please.

Good news guys! My girlfriend's slender fingers got the bulb out.

Bad news is one if the wires to the switch was dry rotted and cracked apart. :(

It's a fine thing to have a good woman by your side.

PB Blaster is good. I found a product that works even better. I even got exhaust bolts out without breaking them. AAP and probably all the rest of car places stocks in the store.

7070069_sef_dc14_pri_larg.jpg

You BP blaster folks should also try CRC cold shot. I have had it remove MANY rusted bolts that blaster didn't even make a dent on. Have not yet tried the Seafoam stuff, but I have heard it works good too.

Yep that's it. One of my yellow wires disintegrated in half. Now I have to figure out how to get to the dang things in the dash :)

Back