Suggestions: 15" Magnum 500's for 68 Fury III

We have 15x7 Magnums on our 65 wagon with 235/70/15 tires.

Kevin

IMG_20150615_123919054shrunk.jpg

We have 15x7 Magnums on our 65 wagon with 235/70/15 tires.

Kevin

View attachment 74797
Very nice...great looking wagon!...and thanks for the photo and also for mentioning your tire size.

Two decisions to make yet...

1. 15x6 or 15x7...

2. 225/75r-15 or 235/70r-15 (a 235/70 is a bit smaller in dia. than a 225/75)

I had 15x7's with 235/75r-15's on the front of my old 68 Monaco 500...when I turned hard left, the tire rubbed on the frame. Therefore I'm leary of going with anything larger than a 225/75r-15. Do you have any interferences with your 235/70r-15's when turning?

Last edited:
1. What's the difference between the Ford magnums and Mopar magnums? Other than the center cap said:
Chrysler and AMC offered 14" chrome styled road wheels(Magnums) with "satin" chrome spokes. Ford depending on the year and model offered 14" & 15" Magnums with the majority of them with "shiny" chrome spokes. The '70 Boss 302 used satin spokes and mid '70's Ford had silver painted spoke instead of chrome. As far as I know, they were all made by the Motor Wheel Corporation.
If you are going with the Magnum wheels, I'd go with the 15 x 6 rims to keep the skinny tire look.

I had 15x7's with 235/75r-15's on the front of my old 68 Monaco 500...when I turned hard left, the tire rubbed on the frame. Therefore I'm leary of going with anything larger than a 225/75r-15. ...?
That is odd. I have that size on my 68 Monaco 500 with no rubbing. They are mounted on Road Wheels if that makes a difference. They were designed with the correct backspace which may be the reason....

Very nice...great looking wagon!...and thanks for the photo and also for mentioning your tire size.

1. 15x6 or 15x7...

I had 15x7's with 235/75r-15's on the front of my old 68 Monaco 500...when I turned hard left, the tire rubbed on the frame. Therefore I'm leary of going with anything larger than a 225/75r-15. Do you have any interferences with your 235/70r-15's when turning?

None that we've noticed. Much more stable at speed compared to the 225/75/14's it had.

235/70/15 is 28" tall.

Kevin

Chrysler and AMC offered 14" chrome styled road wheels(Magnums) with "satin" chrome spokes. Ford depending on the year and model offered 14" & 15" Magnums with the majority of them with "shiny" chrome spokes. The '70 Boss 302 used satin spokes and mid '70's Ford had silver painted spoke instead of chrome.

1968 and earlier Mopar had "shiny" chrome spokes and rims with no trim rings. 1969 and up had the satin spokes with trim rings.

1. 15x6 or 15x7...

My 300 has 245/60-15 on 7". No interference issues. It's darn close at full lock, but close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades.

That is odd. I have that size on my 68 Monaco 500 with no rubbing. They are mounted on Road Wheels if that makes a difference. They were designed with the correct backspace which may be the reason....

Perhaps my 68 Monaco 500 turned too far left and an adjustment was necessary? When I turned hard right it wasn't even close to rubbing on frame.

1968 and earlier Mopar had "shiny" chrome spokes and rims with no trim rings. 1969 and up had the satin spokes with trim rings.

I have a set of '67-'68 14x5.5 chromed styled road wheels (no trim ring) with satin spokes, so I respectfully disagree with your statement. :)

I have a set of '67-'68 14x5.5 chromed styled road wheels (no trim ring) with satin spokes, so I respectfully disagree with your statement. :)

Geez... Now I gotta take a better look the next time I see one. You may be right. We are in agreement about not having a trim ring at least. :thumbsup:

This is good stuff. Thanks guys for all your input! I'm glad I started this thread so I can make an educated choice. I think I've definitely made up my mind to not put these painted silver/black 14" magnums w/ trim rings on the car. These are probably off a Mustang!

Last edited:
I would go with the magnums but I am not a big fan of wheel covers, and really like the look of the magnums

This is good stuff. Thanks guys for all your input! I'm glad I started this thread so I can make an educated choice. I think I've definitely made up my mind to not put these painted silver/black 14" magnums w/ trim rings on the car. These are probably off a Mustang!
Actually, they are probably off a Roadrunner. None of the Fords had trim rings.

Heres's a couple of photos you all might enjoy. A small token of my appreciation for all the help you guys have given me. I got the cars out in the driveway together a couple of days ago....before I got the 68 Fury up on jackstands to do the brake work.
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG

Last edited:
The second a car shows up in the driveway for the first time, the first thing the new owner wants to do is change the wheels. The car may already have the perfect, most beautiful wheels but, BAMM, the owner becomes obsessed with changing the wheels.
Freud could have written books about this human behavior.
They are fine. Move on to floor mat obsession. And then the....

The second a car shows up in the driveway for the first time, the first thing the new owner wants to do is change the wheels. The car may already have the perfect, most beautiful wheels but, BAMM, the owner becomes obsessed with changing the wheels.
Freud could have written books about this human behavior.
They are fine. Move on to floor mat obsession. And then the....
It's the same as moving into a pre-owned home. Everyone has to make some changes to make it theirs, even if the house was perfect.

I'm always amused by the "Corvette Syndrome".
All the parts, trim, etc, that are factory body colored, everybody installs the flat black aftermarket part.
All the parts that are factory flat black, everybody installs the matching body colored aftermarket part.
You can make anything you want. If it can be installed by simply removing the back to the double sided tape, there's a market for it.

funny tat some of you are talking about the magnum wheel for earlier than 68's.
I have the chrome spokes and the brushed trim rings on my Polara...
they are a14"x6" rim.
What car would they have come from?

20140713_105239.jpg

Back