Swapping in a 46rh trans

Jengel451

Reaction score
Finally getting around to doing the swap. Since the 46RH is a small block only trans you have to either do a spacer kit ot a bellhousing swap to fit a BB. I'm doing the Ultra-bell swap. There's some detail not fully explained in the instructions and not on YouTube so thre a quick video together to hopefully help others.

Finally getting around to doing the swap. Since the 46RH is a small block only trans you have to either do a spacer kit ot a bellhousing swap to fit a BB. I'm doing the Ultra-bell swap. There's some detail not fully explained in the instructions and not on YouTube so thre a quick video together to hopefully help others.

Looks like a great project!

The cutting while not bad would gnaw at me too. It would absolutely keep me from doing the job.
I appreciate the efforts of anyone willing to do the work.

Also anyone with floor shift the od interferes with the down shaft. I converted the OEM shifter to use a cable

The "A"/"LA" bolt pattern dates back to the Gen I Hemi days and the 1955-era "single rocker shaft" versions termed "Poly" A motors. According to Uncle Tony.

Doesn’t the ultra bell require use of a small diameter torque converter? I seem to recall that from some research I did quite a while back. If so, can you get a reasonable stall speed and lockup in such a thing?
Travis..

Doesn’t the ultra bell require use of a small diameter torque converter? I seem to recall that from some research I did quite a while back. If so, can you get a reasonable stall speed and lockup in such a thing?
Travis..
11" works which is the stock lockup size

I am going to do the swap in several of my cars eventually.

maybe I'm ok with a stock converter....maybe not? I put the stock converter on and sure enough it hits the bell BUT if I pull it back out to where the 727 installed depth is, which is .432" then it seems to be ok with some room to spare. the only real way to find out it to actually install in the car.

I did call JW and the other option is clearancing the bell, they said 1/8" of material removal is acceptable. Given what i'm seeing and measuring I think I'm good.

But again, I'll find out later. Going with an aftermarket 10" lockup is spendy spendy spendy. This ain't no racecar!

That was my thought. I recall reading somewhere about using a smaller converter or maybe grinding, it’s been so long I don’t even recall where I saw that. I guess give it a mockup and see if it spins freely. I wouldn’t mind maybe doing the o/d swap on my car someday maybe so it’d be cool to know.
Travis..

Back