Switching to 8 3/4 in 71 fury

Reaction score
my 71 fury has an 8 1/4? In it and I want to swap an 8 3/4 from a 68 fury. The 71 has rubber isolaters on the springs that the 68 don't. What do I have to do to get the 8 3/4 in?

I've done some of these swaps on later B bodies. I use a hole saw to cut a disc that fits the isolator hole, then weld that in place. The holes in the perches locate the axle in the car - and they are necessary. So wahtever you do (use a larger washer, or whatrever welded in the perches) the smaller pin hole has to be centered.

HI Charles, what size motor do you have in the 71? The reason I ask is I have a 71 Fury III as well and it has a 360, the rear axle assy is a 9 1/4 which is a good solid unit. Maybe a picture of the back of your axly assy will help us identify it?

This is a pic of the rear end taken a few years ago. My car is a 360/727 also. I got the 8 3/4 in with a lot of trouble but the ride is so quiet now. I almost passed on buying the car because of the noise from the axle.

image.jpeg

I got saddled with the 8 1/4 on my 71 sport fury with the 360/727. It works well and I've been told by various sources that it'll work until my engine starts to kick out some serious power.

Glad you were able to fit the 8 3/4 on your car, I would too if I had one on hand and enough spare time.

The 8 1/4 are stronger than you guys think. My 85 dodge truck with a factory 360 came with one. I have a built 360 in it now, and close to 400,000 miles on the 8.25 with no trouble...

Back