Talk me out of this.

LIPoolman

Reaction score
Went and looked at 72 Monaco coupe today. Small block car ps,pb,ac,cruise. Manual windows and locks. Seller is asking a lot for it. Runs/drives. Has a recent inspection sticker. Interior isn’t trashed but will need seat covers and carpet. I’m not sure If this stuff is available. They are asking a lot but extremely negotiable, as I need it gone make me any offer.

It’s in one repaint as far as I can tell and needs to be painted again. Rust in rf lower corner of pass fender. Some bubbling where vinyl top meets body. Some bubbles lower A pillar.

I’ll say this: for me personally, this particular year and model is as good as it gets for a C body. It’s rougher than it looked in pics of course but it’s straight and all there.

What would you offer for such a vehicle? Rarer than a democrat on a construction site for sure. I guess that’s good and bad. I assume lots of parts for these are made of unobtainium.

Wouldn't photos be appropriate for such a question.?

IMG_3877.jpeg

IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg

It’s all there and needs some patch work but not a rust bucket by any means. I am new to the c body world and I don’t know what’s repop’d and what isn’t. Can u even get seat covers or carpet? Needs paint so I’d lose the vinyl top and change color

If it's your favorite model and you've been looking, sometimes you have to concede. A small block shouldn't kill the deal if price is fair.

Your suggestion of rust needs to be focused on .
How's the interior?
What options?

It looks good in those photos, 10k wouldn't be out of line but photos lie.

Seat covers for that, probably not but the material is available and an upholstery shop can install it.
Carpet is available.

If it's your favorite model and you've been looking, sometimes you have to concede. A small block shouldn't kill the deal if price is fair.

Your suggestion of rust needs to be focused on .
How's the interior?
What options?

It looks good in those photos, 10k wouldn't be out of line but photos lie.
Interior sucks. Needs seat covers and carpet. Door cards not great.

Manual windows and locks but has cruise and AC.

Small block doesn’t bother me at all. It runs good. Exhaust leaks if course.

I could get it for less than 10k. Way less I think.

I’m torn. It’s really my all time fav c body but a lot rougher than I hoped. I actually seen this particular car in this same area years ago. Up until that moment I hadn’t ever considered a C body. They are so rare I had never seen one before that. Fell in love with it. I’ve been looking on and off since.

Yeah, the price is falling fast as you talk.
You gave us three distant photos. Not much to go on.

Rust or lack there of is key. .

I've learned a long time ago, never buy a NY car.

If they're as you say "extremely negotiable" start low. You can always go up. What's it worth to you? Offer less than that and see what happens.

They repop practically nothing for C body cars, but there are people that sell good parts off of cars they parted out.

If you love it, and can get it on the cheaper side, go for it. Just be prepared to possibly hunt for parts it may need. Buy it with the mindset that you will keep it forever, and the money you spend on it won't bother you, they are all money pits.

And don't be surprised if you buy another, and another...

Last edited:
If its not a bondo filled rotbox, the items you are mentioning are replaceable/restorable. Lots of parts and stuff out there still. Thats a-lot of the fun fixing up a unique car, the hunt to find the obscure parts you need and making new friends along the way or finally putting a face to a name.

If you can get it for a price thats fair in your mind. Pull the trigger. 2dr 72 Monacos are few and far between.

If something feels off, it's off and maybe you should wait it out for the next one.

Interior sucks. Needs seat covers and carpet. Door cards not great.

Manual windows and locks but has cruise and AC.

Small block doesn’t bother me at all. It runs good. Exhaust leaks if course.

I could get it for less than 10k. Way less I think.

I’m torn. It’s really my all time fav c body but a lot rougher than I hoped. I actually seen this particular car in this same area years ago. Up until that moment I hadn’t ever considered a C body. They are so rare I had never seen one before that. Fell in love with it. I’ve been looking on and off since.

I would look for another car. Rust in the a-pillar and under the vinyl top indicates a scary situation. There is always another car out there.

Good, then I will buy that one.

Honestly Rip, you know just from dealing with Ayilar that Dodge Cs are the scarcest of the Cs. To be specific to a 72 2 Door Monaco is restricting yourself to likely a 20 year wait. (That's experience talking )
I wouldn't buy this one either but sometimes you just gotta.
Wyatts black convertible is the perfect example.

I agree with above. $3500.00 sounds fair based off of the pictures.

IMHO...

It depends on what you want. Do you want to just drive the car, maybe tinker a little here and there and you are fine with the car not being perfect? Or do you want to buy this car and restore it?

If it's the first, and the car is priced right, go ahead and buy it.

If you want a car to restore, skip this one and look for a more rust free car to start with.

The issues with C-bodies are well documented here... Repop parts are few and far between with zero quality body parts being reproduced. Finding good used parts can be tough too. Some stuff is cheap and some is expensive. Body work costs more (it's a bigger car) and even storage/work space can sometimes be challenging. You can get upside down real fast as far as the car's value too. Good news is engine and transmissions are across all the car lines, so finding those parts are fairly easy, although always more expensive than a small block Chevy.

One thing that I haven't seen addressed is the condition of the stub frame and rear frame rails. If there's issues there, I'd advise walking away, regardless of what you want to do.

thirty six years ago, when i got my newport, i had zero dollars but could weld and had access to a facility. the car was rotten to the window sills including the sub-frame and frame under the trunk. it was scrap. i traded some labor for it. still have it today. everybody's situation is different. even needing significant work, if the financials vs abilities ratio necessitates it, then this could be the car for him.

Last edited:
Back