Temperature Sender in Radiator Hose

Reaction score
I want to mount the sender for the dashboard hot/cold light in a radiator hose using a metal sleeve (see photo). Will engine coolant adequately complete the electric circuit, or must the sender be mounted in a metal part such as the block, water pump housing, etc.? Temperature sender for the Holley Sniper EFI is where this sender used to go, so I need an alternate location.

IMG_4578.jpeg
IMG_4440.jpeg

The sender mush be grounded for it to complete the electrical circuit that turns the dash idiot lights on or off. So solder a wire to your sleeve (if it's brass) or figure something else out (if it's aluminum, can't quite tell), and run it to a ground....solved.

That said, if you have some flow control over the heater hoses, you won't be getting accurate water temps. If it's wide open flow all the time, use the hose coming from the block (you know that already, I'm sure).

Does your setup have the small plug on the front of the housing (circled in yellow). That's where I "power" an aftermarket gage, and retaining the "cold/hot" sender in the traditional location.

1694034797063.jpeg

Weld a tab on your tube and screw a ground wire to it. Or make the tab the correct thickness and width and plug a spade terminal to the tab.

The water pump housing is an aftermarket part. I will have to look. Appreciate the idea.
This smaller, forward-facing bung is sized for the standard 1/8 NPT temp sender. Other housings have it facing up, where the AC sump would nearly be touching the housing, thus the forward facing bung in some housing for AC cars.

1694037524154.png

Back