Terrible Start Up Sound and Oil Issues-Advice Needed (77 440 NYB)

Wrapped "against" the way the item screws into the block so that the tape does not unwrap as it is screwed in. There are some liquid Teflon "tape" alternatives, but more expensive (and probably need some protective gloves).

Hi Fellas,
I'll Leave it up to you Blokes to Say "Good or Not"
I Recently Purchased a Set of "REAL" Rocker Cover Gaskets (For Future Use)
I haven't used them Before But the Idea Seems Sound.
But have Any of You Fellas had Experience with Them?
Might be the Answer.
Not Cheap But if they ARE as Good as Advertised then in the Long Run a Bargain!
Regards Tony.M

Why are they "real"?

Hill folk use "REAL" often as an emphatic as in "REEEAL GOOD!" or "REEEAL *** WHUPPIN'" or even "REEEAL GOOD *** WHUPPIN!" Plenty Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginny folk populated Texas, and took this linguistic anomaly with themselves. I grew up using it so.

I used this company's product on my 727 tranny before hiring an octogenarian wizard to rebuild it in 2017. He advised me that my tranny pan was a real piece of ****, and that mattered far more than the gasket for effecting a good seal. He sealed it up with a stock steel pan and cork gasket, liberally RTVed, and did a REAL GOOD job. I went through half a dozen different gaskets in the 18 months preceding that.

So the intake towards the block that has the cork gasket where you have to dab the rtv in the corners to seal the intake/block/head has never leaked for anyone? It would be the same sympthom as the oil pressure switch!?

Big block intakes are "dry" intakes meaning no coolant flows through them.
However, some of the intake bolts thread through the cylinder head where oil from the valvetrain can weep up through the bolt threads an atop the intake. ( Been there)
Dab some rtv sealant on the intake bolts to remedy this.
Secindly double check the 3- 7/16 bolts that hold down the spreader bar back of the intake gasket "turkey pan" .
Belts;
I use nothing but Goodyear Gatorback belts. Now renamed Continental belts.
They fit deeper into the groove of the pulleys compared to other parts jobber brands that just sit on top of the groove which can cause belt noise no matter how much you tighten them.
Hope this helps.

Back