The 1973 Chrysler Thread

Have you tried the new AVS II carbs from Edelbrock yet? If so, comments?

I have never been all that impressed with previous Edelbrock carburetors on stock configurations nor have I been impressed with the AVS factory carbs either. I always felt the Holley 4160s from the factory on some Chrysler models always had more impressive off the line performance with strong performance from the get go (when they were new and the metering blocks were not all warped as most were after a couple years). Not so with the AVS carburetors - they always felt weak.
I have used the AVS II carbs, very nice on the street. Much improved off the idle response. I also love a well set up Thermoquad.
Pre 71 I will go AVSII after 71 I try for a good 74 down Thermoquad
biggest issue with Thermoquads is the little wells that leak. and some throttle shafts worn

Holley sells a correct throttle pin for the chrysler set up.
Holley 20-7 Carburetor Throttle Lever Extension

Look through the Holley link for what you need. I have been able to adapt some original Chrysler parts with the Holley bracket to work nice and smooth and look clean.

So I am looking through but I am confused on what to get? I already ordered the Weiand 8008WND Weiand Action Plus Intake Manifolds | Summit Racing along with the Fel-Pro 1214 Fel-Pro Performance Valley Pan Gasket Sets | Summit Racing Im just not sure what all I need to fix that throttle and kickdown. Can what I currently have be salvaged and used for the new build? Or should I just buy a whole new setup, which I am ok with.

20210429_185050.jpg

20210429_185043.jpg

20210429_185031.jpg

Might need a new kickdown lever, they cut, bent and welded it to get it higher. For the throttle cable, simply take out the extension they put in, reusing the hold down bracket in the factory location. I'd see if it works with the Weiand intake first, not sure of the height difference.

Might need a new kickdown lever, they cut, bent and welded it to get it higher. For the throttle cable, simply take out the extension they put in, reusing the hold down bracket in the factory location. I'd see if it works with the Weiand intake first, not sure of the height difference.

Yeah I see that as well. I will need that Kickdown Lever for sure but I am not finding one. Does it have another name?

Yeah I see that as well. I will need that Kickdown Lever for sure but I am not finding one. Does it have another name?
You will not find original Chrysler parts on Summit. There are plenty of suppliers for those parts. Tony's parts is one that comes to mind, up here I use National Moparts, if you buy from them it is in Canadian funds.

You will not find original Chrysler parts on Summit. There are plenty of suppliers for those parts. Tony's parts is one that comes to mind, up here I use National Moparts, if you buy from them it is in Canadian funds.

Although I did check Summit, I have never ordered from them. I cannot find that lever anywhere, Ebay, standalone shops, nothing. That's why I assume I am not searching by the correct name of it.

CS43T3C327827's fate has landed it at a salvage yard...their parting it out with a bunch of listings on eBay
The place is called "Wahl to Wahl Auto" in Cooperstown, New York
Here's the link to one of their eBAY listing - Front Door Glass/window CHRYSLER FULL SIZE Right 72 73
They also have a '71 Newport Coupe in their inventory - CE23L1C205619
s-l1600-10.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not usually a fan of the rally-eye wheels on the formal sedans but I like the look on that one specifically. I don't know if some of those came standard with trim or if they're added on after but those are nice.

Man, I wish the junkyard one was blue...and a 2 door.. I still need a passenger windshield pillar trim.

It has been awhile, I might as well try another want add.
20210121_102411.jpg

No, I have not, do you think it would match even close? The way the rest has faded with time, I just cant see a paint looking like that.

I'm not usually a fan of the rally-eye wheels on the formal sedans but I like the look on that one specifically. I don't know if some of those came standard with trim or if they're added on after but those are nice.
1973 it's still fuselage, not formal. Trim was standard.

Here is my 1973 Newport that I call Loretta. She was a Sunday driver that later went into a museum then sold to the previous owner then I bought it Lovely car, just catching up on maintenance that wasn’t done over the time. She’s currently down due to a bad starter. I’ve replaced: tires, shocks, brakes. I bought her August 16th with 61,000 on the clock. As of today, there is 62,200 on the clock. I’m planning on driving her as much as I can.

1EB78D58-1659-4A00-9975-AC1FD9B974F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Back