The 1973 Chrysler Thread

This is my daughter learning to drive on my (now deceased) parents' NY Brougham...as for the side trim, I remember my father proudly telling me the rubber inserts would prevent 'idiots' in the grocery store parking lot from putting door dings in his brand new car...

I don´t think he knows that he owns a Navajo..

https://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/springfield-1973-chrysler-2-door-hardtop/7212229938.html

Original cool old barge of a car. Needs transmission rebuilt and a windshield. Interior is amazing no rips tears or cracks. Exterior is great with some rust on roof where the body seam is from water trapped under vinyl roof. 400bb Chrysler engine 727 trans needs rebuilt. Has electric seats and a/c. Compressor works but will not take Freon so I assume something is plugged. Solid project engine runs good but cannot be driven due to transmission issue. Price is firm no trades unless it’s heavily in my favor. And I will not respond to “Is this available”. First with cash in hand takes it home. Bring a trailer. Thanks for looking. Call or text only I will not reply to emails.

asking 3000$

00o0o_9TR6o3s4Vja_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_bUoL8bt24NQ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_fMKzeJ37M7Q_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00Y0Y_KWyT9uauDR_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

@coco had alerted us back in July that two GE7 1973 Chryslers had moved to the Netherlands from the states. They have been for sale there since, and apparently are still available:

1. One is a 4dr hardtop Newport that was for sale in New England for a while: I posted about CL43M3C218286 a year ago and @Marv did so in May of this year; Dutch-site photos are here (video); the asking price then was $4.5k; the asking price now is 8,950 euros.

20200930_142407.jpg

IMG_8550.PNG

2. The other is a 2dr hardtop Newport that was briefly seen for sale this past June. @Rustyrodknocker contacted the seller and posted about CL23M3C177511, but it sold too quickly for either of us to get it. A lot of high-resolution Dutch photos are here (video); the asking price is 12,750 euros.

At least, for that price, the blemish on the LHS front fender extension has been fixed -- though the color match does not seem perfect in this photo. I was hoping to see the fender tag, which Rusty could not obtain from the US seller because the car was already sold by the time he asked, but the Dutch seller manages to not show it in any of the many good pics he took of the car...

20201031_143637.jpg

IMG_8549.PNG

In both cases, I am sure that @Olaf Seiler will approve of the cars' color combo :)

Note: I personally wonder how the importer manages to make money, given transportation costs and the asking prices back in summer. For folks thinking of moving a car to Europe, they might find it worthwhile to inquire about his process.

Last edited:
In both cases, I am sure that @Olaf Seiler will approve of the cars' color combo :)
20200924_094348.jpg

I also had the two boats on my watchlist at the time, and the color combination of the Coupè should be identical to mine. The car makes a very good impression. Nevertheless, I ask myself again what mania for options the car buyers at the time had fallen into. A Newport with rare cornering lights, but no passenger side mirror. Very strange preferences that people display.

@ayilar what was the asking price for the cars in the US?
I definitely don't want to start another political debate but as the FED started to print money like crazy to cover the economical damages the Covid lockdown caused, the USD value dropped significantly. A year ago 1 Euro was about 1,05$. Today it's 1,18$. That makes buying a car overseas very attractive at the moment of you want to flip it here

@ayilar what was the asking price for the cars in the US? (...) A year ago 1 Euro was about 1,05$. Today it's 1,18$. That makes buying a car overseas very attractive at the moment of you want to flip it here

One answer and one comment (not political, fear not).

Answer: I do not remember what the 2dr went for, but what I do remember is that it seemed to be a good deal. @Rustyrodknocker looked at the car and hopefully will be able to chime in. For the 4dr, the ask was $4.5k US. If I had to make a guess, the buyer probably got it for $3.5k. Let's say he paid 3k euro. The car looks a bit cleaned up but not refurbished or anything -- so at his current ask of 9k euros, he's trying to make about 6k euros (gross return) for importing the car. That is IF he can get 9k. My guess is the margin is similar on the 2dr.

Comment: compared to the US dollar, at $1.18/1 euro, the euro certainly has more purchasing power internationally than it did last year. Remember, though, that the euro has fluctuated in value between 0.83 and 1.62 over the course of the past two decades, with about 1.18(!) as the average value.
upload_2020-11-7_15-10-35.png

This said, whether the euro currently has "too much" purchasing power is a somewhat different question. To investigate, let us assume for a moment that internationally-tradable goods and services should cost roughly the same in different countries (taking taxes and exchange rates into account) -- that is what economists call the "law of one price" (LOP). As a casual empirical experiment, I just looked at the price of an iPhone 12 mini with 128GB of memory. It is $779 (excluding carrier-specific discounts) on the US Apple Store. The same phone, in the Eurozone, costs 869 euros with 20% VAT. Taking off the tax and multiplying by today's exchange rate, this euro price amounts to just over 854 dollars (869x1.18/1.2). Comparing $779 and $854 suggests that the LOP does not hold in this case. In other words, either (i) you are right and the euro is overpriced / worth almost 10% "too much" on the USD market or (ii) Apple has different pricing powers and/or market share desires in the United States vs. in Europe.

Last edited:
So if the dealer got for 6k€ and sells it for 9k€ he´ll end up with 50% margin. That´s neat in my opinion. Of course you won´t get rich with cars of lower value.

And your conclusion with the Euro/Dollar is a mix of both. You see new cars getting sold for different prices in Europe. If you go to a German Mercedes dealer the same car will be more expensive than at the dealership in Spain. If a company sells a product they evaluate how much people are able/willing to pay for it and set the price accordingly. The average income in Germany is higher than in European countries like Spain, Portugal etc. so companies set the prices higher. But then people from Switzerland have a higher income than Germans and like to cross the boarder to shop over here.
Anyways a ,,strong" Euro / ,,weak" Dollar might be nice for a car guy who scores a great deal overseas but in total it´s bad for the European economy, especially for the German as we´re an export nation and sell less products if they are more expensive in comparison to other due to the exchange rate.

But back to cars now please :D:D

Nice! Can you tell us more about the history of CP45T3D300629 ?
I picked the Wagon up this summer in Stettler Alberta it came from an estate sale.
The Wagon was brought in 1973 new by the family and the owner passed away in 1976 after that his daughter drove the car until 1983 when the engine quit due to an broken valve and was stored until I brought it.
I fixed the car over the past few months and it runs really good now, I replaced and repaired lot’s of parts on the wagon including,
New Heads
New Carburetor
New Water-pump
New Fuel pump
New alternator
New ATC servo the system works great now
New TTI Exhaust system
New front and rear shocks
New Brake Booster and master
New NOS front and rear bumper what I brought from a member very expensive after shipping and tax but they look awesome on the Wagon
And lots of other little things, I’m not sure what I’m doing with the car at the moment as I have way to many cars, I will most likely sell it to someone that appreciates the car.

Do I miss a piece of the bumper filler on passenger side or are my eyes kiddin`me?
I have to take my other 73 Wagon apart and take the filler pice of and one ☝️ plate light and backup light housings, but mother winter is hitting Calgary hard at the moment have to wait until weather is getting better.

Back