The 1973 Chrysler Thread

You’re right. I noticed that as well when I posted the build sheet pic. I thought the guy I bought it from said it had a vinyl top but maybe it never did.
It was painted at least once before but now that I think about it there was no evidence of moulding holes when I was fixing the rust under the back window.

You’re right (...)
It was painted at least once before but now that I think about it there was no evidence of moulding holes when I was fixing the rust under the back window.

Do you have a pic of the fender tag?

There's this Newport sedan for sale..for a $1,000 in Montana
Six more pics, price down to 850. Still no fender tag unfortunately...

2E5B9B4A-3CCB-4571-80D2-0A76AAE0CD6C.jpeg

2A7EE5C5-26EE-44BA-8056-23D32CE876DB.jpeg

FE4D9C81-E17F-4E7E-B97D-8ECD3F9C90A7.jpeg

19C0333C-9E26-491C-8991-4A159917E3D6.jpeg

BB38D112-1338-40C8-A345-A8963C4C9CED.jpeg

4341E069-3864-4DE4-93E9-54B84E2C43CB.jpeg

Last edited:
I happened across this IMCDB post of a 73 in a CHIPS episode. In a strange coincidence, somebody from Germany mistakenly posted a link in the few comments that shows a write up on a 73 Fury.
The coincidental part is that I owned that Fury at one time. After the article.
The disc brakes and rear springs are on my 300.
I sold it for a song and some young guys drove it home on the freeway.
I hate selling stuff. That car didn't run when I bought it but it ran great when it left. With drum brakes though.
i523044.jpg

Chrysler Newport in "CHiPs"

Last edited:
Here is a write up from Curbsides on a Newport I remember seeing around occasionally probably 15 years ago. Couldn't miss it go by. I'm always hoping to find it again for some reason well since seeing this article a few years back. Thinking it is going derelict I guess. I hope its on the road still.

CC Outtake: 1973 Chrysler Newport – The Green Giant

View attachment 430374

Significant degradation of this JF1 Mist Green Newport between the CC article in 2015 and the listing. Same car: the Oregon plate is the same. No tag or VIN unfortunately. The car may have been repainted, at least the LHS rear quarter. The seats were also redone at some point: from the steering wheel, it looks to have originally been A1F6 green cloth bench, not black velours.

Good to know, as I have yet to see a JF1 green car with black interior. Cue cue CS43T3C212236, a JF1 NYB with H7F6 green brocade interior.

1973-chrysler-newport-two-door-hard-top-2.jpg

1973-chrysler-newport-two-door-hard-top-3.jpg

1973-chrysler-newport-two-door-hard-top-6.jpg

1973-chrysler-newport-two-door-hard-top-13.jpg

Last edited:
Significant degradation of this JF1 Mist Green Newport between the CC article in 2015 and the listing. Same car: the Oregon plate is the same. No tag or VIN unfortunately. The car may have been repainted, at least the LHS rear quarter. The seats were also redone at some point: from the steering wheel, it looks to have originally been A1F6 green cloth bench, not black velours.

Good to know, as I have yet to see a JF1 green car with black interior. Cue cue CS43T3C212236, a JF1 NYB with H7F6 green brocade interior.

View attachment 430482
View attachment 430483
View attachment 430484
View attachment 430485

I just got word that this car went to Germany.

One of my all time favourite action shots is from the movie Black Samson from 1974:

i133229.jpg

Yes, that is a hockey stick going through the sunroof.

Hi everyone. Please help me and my addiction.

I joined the site and shared my 71 fury patrol car with the world a few months ago. I have been slowly reading other threads and trying to catch up. I got a good laugh when I saw one of my other cars on page 6 of this thread! You guys dont miss anything!

Here is the story with her.

I have been hustling junk and Antiques for over 40 years. Went to a local farm last April to buy some engines and whatever other rusty stuff I could get. He had this newport under a tree, covered in pine needles. He said he would start it up now and then, and it should run.

I am a sucker for big mopars, so I brought her home too.

As I have said in my cop car thread, I really have the itch for a 70 or so car with hideaway headlights. Even though this one is a 440, 2 door, that grille wasnt what I truly wanted at first, so I listed in on ebay for 2 grand. I was honest and mentioned that has rust in the quarters, and cant be driven regularly until the tank is cleaned, and that rear quarter didnt fade like the rest, so it didnt sell.

I went on with my search, stumbled across the cop car, which I had to get. I am still looking for that special imperial or 300.

BUT... I think some of you guys will understand this, my addiction and inability to say no is taking over! This 73 has really grown on me. It is parked where I walk by it everytime I leave or get home. I cant seem to part with it. I had no desire to restore it before, but now from all of this reading on fcbo, it has really grown on me. I picture that blue with a white top shiny and new.. it would be sharp.

This time last year I did not own a c body. Now the 73 has a permenat home, my 71 fury cop car is a no brainer, I know of a cheap 68 chrysler wagon that is not on the market that I have to get, found a red s23 locally rotting away in a field. None of which are the hideaways I want. Members have offered some good ones of those though.

I need an intervention. Too many great cars coming out of the woodwork lately.

So, here she is today, still sitting there patiently waiting for me to clean the tank. I have decided to drive this one while I do brakes and stuff to the cop car. I will be asking for a few little parts in the near future to get her on the road daily.
20210119_161513.jpg
20210119_161513.jpg

to get her on the road daily.

I like the idea of fixing the mechanic issues and drive her around on a daily basis. Used to be gorgeous blue with white top and blue interior and
she still can be a head turner with some effort.

found a red s23 locally rotting away in a field. None of which are the hideaways I want.

You talking about a 1970 Plymouth Sportfury with the S23 package ? that should have the concealed headlights if not been converted to a base Fury
design at some point. Besides the S23 option was ordered 689 times as far as I know in 70 and was a 70 option only. So that would be a rare find worth restoring depending on the degree of rust

Yes, sorry. It was late when I wrote and my brain was ahead of my fingers. I forgot to mention another 73 4 door, and then my two thoughts of "cheap c bodies I know of", and "ones that cost real money members are offering" blended together.

I would love the sf s23, if I can reach a price. Great looking car that i would cruise with pride. It is only a 318 car, and the interior is very crispy. But, no rust and no one stole the hood yet. I am still working on getting him to sell.

The 318 was standard with the S23 as it was for all Furys if the buyer didn´t tick the A52 GT option box.
383-2 and 4bbl was optional.
If it´s complete and rust free you will get a desirable and very rare fuselage c body. See the picture of the sales
brochure below to see that the S23 option was just a design package besides the anti sway bar. That might be the
reason just very few people opted for it. There are several S23 owners on this board. If you buy and start a thread about it
people will chime in if you need interior parts

picsart_01-09-10-27-19-jpg.jpg

Back