The parts are coming in....

Red63440

Reaction score
My new vinyl roof was delivered today from Legendary and my drivers side lower seat shield has been shipped too...now all I need to do is find out how in the hell they are installed and get a little warm weather.

$(KGrHqIOKosE5kyetN8tBOeVI7J2Bg~~60_58.jpg

I wouldn't attempt to put a top on either. Best to let the shop do it.

Have you stripped the vinyl top yet? I would since it often hides rust damage. I wouldn't want a shop just re-covering it without me seeing it and fixing it my way. I had my 69 Dart vinyl top recovered years ago. It had a rust bulge near the bottom. I never saw it stripped and the guy told me "no problems" but I have since seen horror photos of rust-thrus in that area. Car was stolen 4 yrs later so can't say.

Have you stripped the vinyl top yet? I would.QUOTE]
Your right about that.
Almost guaranteed to be some rust or corrosion under the old top. A trim shop won't be equipped to repair it.
The top really should be prepped and painted as though it was not going to have vinyl applied.......Then take it to the trim shop. You'll be happy you did if your planning on keeping the car for awile.

Have you stripped the vinyl top yet? I would.QUOTE]
Your right about that.
Almost guaranteed to be some rust or corrosion under the old top. A trim shop won't be equipped to repair it.
The top really should be prepped and painted as though it was not going to have vinyl applied.......Then take it to the trim shop. You'll be happy you did if your planning on keeping the car for awile.

Would you recommend taking pictures and letting the trim shop put the chrome trim back on?

Would you recommend taking pictures and letting the trim shop put the chrome trim back on?[/QUOTE]

Reinstalling the trim is easier then removing it. If your not going to do the prep work your self then choose a quality shop to remove the trim and refinish the top. (This would be the time to buff & polish the trim and replace all the mounting clips).
Take the polished trim to the trimmer with the vinyl top. If they have a problem with reinstalling the trim then you have the wrong trim shop.

Would you recommend taking pictures and letting the trim shop put the chrome trim back on?
Reinstalling the trim is easier then removing it. If your not going to do the prep work your self then choose a quality shop to remove the trim and refinish the top. (This would be the time to buff & polish the trim and replace all the mounting clips).
Take the polished trim to the trimmer with the vinyl top. If they have a problem with reinstalling the trim then you have the wrong trim shop.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Will!

The shop I am taking it to shares a building with a body shop so the top can be stripped and any repairs needed can be done in the same place. I was planning on having any damage repaired then a coat of epoxy primer and then painted white..then the new vinyl put on.

The shop I am taking it to shares a building with a body shop so the top can be stripped and any repairs needed can be done in the same place. I was planning on having any damage repaired then a coat of epoxy primer and then painted white..then the new vinyl put on.

That should work out fine for you then. A light buffing of the stainless trim will make things pop a little. It's in the details.

Back