The poor unfortunate Death of a 67 Mobile Director

doubleDlover

Reaction score
Its with sad news that i bring... :( A very recent death of a mobile director. About 2 months ago. while roaming the local pick a parts here in southern calif. I ran across a 67 imperial. It did have a lot or rust in it. And it was in pretty poor shape. By the time i found her the motor was already gone. And there were some parts scattered around the ground like the sea floor around the titanic. So i walked around the car looking at it and when i got the the drivers door and looked inside the very first thing i noticed was the crazy looking table sticking up out of the floor. I thought.. "what the hell is that"?? well. I used a more serious word that hell. LOL It looked sooooo out of place. And NOT factory. And then i noticed the pass seat was backwards... I thought, "some crazy fool thought is would be cool to bolt the seat in backwards" LOL So a forgot about those crazy items and looked around more. I seen a rear a/c set up. Wow thats kinda rare. Seen an am/fm. Power windows and locks. Then i seen power vent windows. Wow i dont see that every day. So i proceeded to take the parts i usualy do when finding an old car. When i left her i took another look at the weird table and backward seat, shook my head and left. Not that night but the NEXT night I was online and i thought about that car again. That table was killing me. LOLOL I thought there was no way that was original. So im dead serious. I googled "table in chrysler imperial" And literally pooped my pants. LOLOL Ive been mostly into the B bodies. So the big cars i didnt know that much about... Well the next day i high tailed back to that junkyard. I thought for SURE that stuff was all gone by NOW!!! I walked up to the car and i will be dammed its ALL still there!!!! So i cut the table and complete mounting brackets out. cut the whole damm swivel seat out and took the vin plate and fender tag. And the whole rear a/c and some other items. when i took out the back seat to get to some of the a/s stuff i seen the build sheet and about pooped my pants again. LOL I thought no way... As soon as i touched it it started to desinagrate. It was sooo old and dry. So i took as many pieces of it as i could and brought everything home. After a while i laid everything out on a table and started to paiste back together as much as i could of the build sheet. And i got lucky. I have the vin number on it. And that place with the code for mobile director. Its bearly visible but you can see it. And very fantly along the bottom you can make out something like special order or something like that. Im going to post as many pics as i can of everything. Some tonight. Some again soon. Im just not sure how i should sell everything. As one big package or a piece at a time. But i beleave the right thing in getting all of it and then figuring that out later.

here are a couple..

1281-46250-6479744.jpeg

1281-46250-6479746.jpeg

1281-46250-6479769 (1).jpeg

I dont understand how LKQ get its hands on so many C bodies.

Think about what's in junkyards that dont get much attention...

oh yea. I forgot to mention. I found pages laying all over the floor of the car. Print outs of fact sheets for a mobile director. emails. Thats how i found this site. He had the print outs of the pages here on mobile directors. So i think what happen was who ever owned this car had it in there back yard. Had dreams of getting it back on the road. Croaked. And of course his family didnt give a flying F and just junked the car....

20191023_133338.jpg

20191023_133443.jpg

oh yea. I forgot to mention. I found pages laying all over the floor of the car. Print outs of fact sheets for a mobile director. emails. Thats how i found this site. He had the print outs of the pages here on mobile directors. So i think what happen was who ever owned this car had it in there back yard. Had dreams of getting it back on the road. Croaked. And of course his family didnt give a flying F and just junked the car....

View attachment 332645

View attachment 332646

That honestly one of the saddest things I've read on this site.

That honestly one of the saddest things I've read on this site.
We’ve had a few really sad things that could be read on this site over the years and this doesn’t hold a candle to them but yes, the fate of this one does suck.:BangHead:
You should post the vin and fender tag info on here for posterity and find a good home with a director missing its table somewhere.
Did you find the lamp?

The fate of this car is sad, indeed...
Thankfully the parts will go on to help save another....

I looked and looked for that lamp!!.. In every corner and space i could. I even looked in all the cars around it. No luck.. :( And yes It will be a grand day when we can find someone with a missing table or broken swivel seat and such. Or maybe someone that would love to do a great conversion.

Sad, yet great that you saved these parts from being destroyed. This was a rare 2 year only option, '67 and '68. When it came out it was $597.40 option! Production numbers are guessed at about 237 total, that is rare. It was only available on the Crown Coupe, because the front swivel seat wouldn't work with the B pillar of a 4 door. I think Chrysler would have been smart to have offered this option on a LeBaron 4 door with the folding desk and tensor lamp and no swivel front seat. I think more chauffered executives would have gone for that.

I think Jay Leno has one. Check it out on YouTube. It’s that year Imperial he bought from an old movie guy. The vid is only 25 minutes or so but well worth a look if you’re interested in the director’s model or maybe he called it dictation model. Now I have to go rewatch it. Thanks !!! LoL!!!

Back