the real 70 GT and S/23 #s

How so? What are the numbers?
Have you seen or even heard of one? The TNT 440 was a regular option for Newports yet I know of less of them ('69-'71) then 6bbl GTs and even fewer that actually survived. Of those, none of them are convertibles.

The numbers are out there somewhere and eventually we'll find out.

Last edited:
Gonna call it, a '70 (or even a '69) TNT Newport convertible is the rarest orderable C-body. If anyone knows of one existing please let me know!

heres 1 for ya Charles

1695960699663.jpeg

Have you seen or even heard of one? The TNT 440 was a regular option for Newports yet I know of less of them ('69-'71) then 6bbl GTs and even fewer that actually survived. Of those, none of them are convertibles.

After 45 years of being in the Mopar world I would presume yes. However I have no proof so that doesn't matter.

If it’s a real U code
If it’s a real car…including paint that’s a rare one for sure!
Definitely not the original 440 in it by the looks of it. Manifolds, valve covers, & air cleaner are all wrong from what I can see. Maybe @ayilar has VIN info of this one?

I do not have the tag BUT I do have photos of the same car (cue the fake continental tire on the trunk) when it was for sale in 1988 at the fall barrie old car flea market. Look at the cardboard ad on the windshield: if I see correctly, it looks like the engine was a 383.

Last edited:

Thank you Kevin.
You are like the old E.F. Hutton ads , when you talk people stop and listen.
I'm not sure how anyone could argue with you. However as I typed that I recall a disagreement in post.
At the risk of sounding like a real jerk, the only way someone could argue with me would be to have better information than I have access to. SG30s were never designed to answer the "How many of my car have this, this, this and this with this colour, this interior and this drivetrain?" type questions. In order for ANYONE to be able to do that you'd have to create a massive database (essentially the entire production of the assembly plant or plants that built `your' car and then be able to search it for all of the codes on a specific car. Actually that information did exist (don't know if it still does). I went back and forth with a fellow who worked at Chrysler in a government liason job. He was obsessed with 1970 JS27R cars. I told him about the production reports that would identify JS27 and I told him about the SG30s that would allow you to check the JS27 column to find out how many cars were built with a hemi. After several months he called one day all excited. He said "I finally got a copy of the production report on 1970 JS27 cars". So I asked him a couple of questions about the document he was holding. It turned out to be the US SG30. He was a bit crestfallen. I told him there was a similar document for Canada and I would see what I could find out. Turns out there were 9 JS27R sold in the U.S. The standard rule of thumb is that Canada gets 10% of what the U.S. does, so that would mean there might be 1 in Canada. As it turns out, Canada got 3, so 33%.

In the SG30s, it lists the total number of cars sold as of the cutoff date the report was prepared (so this in itself means that there could be cars sitting on dealer lots that haven't been sold). Anyway, knowing how many cars were sold in the US and how many were sold as well as how many were built, it worked out to 90 some odd percent of all cars built. So a little simple cross multiplication suggested that out of 100% of the cars there mathematicallly could be a 13th car.

That prompted this fellow from Chrysler to somehow engratiate himself to the guys in the computer center. He was able to get a low level guy in the CC to write a program for the 1970 master tape from Hamtramck to allow it to be read by the then three generation newer mainframe computer. The search was for JS2 7R. It found the 9 cars sold in the U.S., it found the 3 cars sold in Canada and it found a 13th car sold in a military PX in Germany. So in this particular instance, my simple math extrapolation actually worked. SURPRISE!!!!

Anyway at some later point I was talking to the guys in HP that worked on the SG30s and asked if they did one on military PX sales. He broke out laughing and finally said "Do you have any idea how many cars we sell through military PXs in a year? A guessed a couple of hundred. Still laughing he said "WE LOSE more cars than that every year!" I asked what he meant. "Very simple, we load a car at an asembly plant on a train or a truck or whatever and when that train/truck arrives at its destination that car is no longer there."

If anybody has followed the news about all of the break-ins at especially the Chrysler and Ford marshalling yards around Metro Detroit, you'll get a better appreciation for the companies losing cars.

Finally, there was at the time an SG30 report prepared on export cars. They were not done in HP, and I never was able to find out how did them, where they were, or how to get a copy of them. When Chrysler went through their downsizing in 1979, whatever information on export cars would have been trashed as Chrysler got out of Europe, so information on those cars is likely to never pop up.

In the SG30s, it lists the total number of cars sold as of the cutoff date the report was prepared (so this in itself means that there could be cars sitting on dealer lots that haven't been sold).

nice to get that clarification about unsold cars affecting the # :poke:

We should probably not trust anyone selling a Crystler for their profession of the car's originality.

Does look like 383 is noted.

Nobody commented on @ayliar having photos (and memory) that go back to 1988? I am impressed.

1696209563694.png

I may not have mentioned it, but I did take note that he has info from 88.
I was a little **** then. No concern whatsoever then about cars.
@ayilar Impressive,,,,,

At the risk of sounding like a real jerk, the only way someone could argue with me would be to have better information than I have access to. SG30s were never designed to answer the "How many of my car have this, this, this and this with this colour, this interior and this drivetrain?" type questions. In order for ANYONE to be able to do that you'd have to create a massive database (essentially the entire production of the assembly plant or plants that built `your' car and then be able to search it for all of the codes on a specific car. Actually that information did exist (don't know if it still does). I went back and forth with a fellow who worked at Chrysler in a government liason job. He was obsessed with 1970 JS27R cars. I told him about the production reports that would identify JS27 and I told him about the SG30s that would allow you to check the JS27 column to find out how many cars were built with a hemi. After several months he called one day all excited. He said "I finally got a copy of the production report on 1970 JS27 cars". So I asked him a couple of questions about the document he was holding. It turned out to be the US SG30. He was a bit crestfallen. I told him there was a similar document for Canada and I would see what I could find out. Turns out there were 9 JS27R sold in the U.S. The standard rule of thumb is that Canada gets 10% of what the U.S. does, so that would mean there might be 1 in Canada. As it turns out, Canada got 3, so 33%.

In the SG30s, it lists the total number of cars sold as of the cutoff date the report was prepared (so this in itself means that there could be cars sitting on dealer lots that haven't been sold). Anyway, knowing how many cars were sold in the US and how many were sold as well as how many were built, it worked out to 90 some odd percent of all cars built. So a little simple cross multiplication suggested that out of 100% of the cars there mathematicallly could be a 13th car.

That prompted this fellow from Chrysler to somehow engratiate himself to the guys in the computer center. He was able to get a low level guy in the CC to write a program for the 1970 master tape from Hamtramck to allow it to be read by the then three generation newer mainframe computer. The search was for JS2 7R. It found the 9 cars sold in the U.S., it found the 3 cars sold in Canada and it found a 13th car sold in a military PX in Germany. So in this particular instance, my simple math extrapolation actually worked. SURPRISE!!!!

Anyway at some later point I was talking to the guys in HP that worked on the SG30s and asked if they did one on military PX sales. He broke out laughing and finally said "Do you have any idea how many cars we sell through military PXs in a year? A guessed a couple of hundred. Still laughing he said "WE LOSE more cars than that every year!" I asked what he meant. "Very simple, we load a car at an asembly plant on a train or a truck or whatever and when that train/truck arrives at its destination that car is no longer there."

If anybody has followed the news about all of the break-ins at especially the Chrysler and Ford marshalling yards around Metro Detroit, you'll get a better appreciation for the companies losing cars.

Finally, there was at the time an SG30 report prepared on export cars. They were not done in HP, and I never was able to find out how did them, where they were, or how to get a copy of them. When Chrysler went through their downsizing in 1979, whatever information on export cars would have been trashed as Chrysler got out of Europe, so information on those cars is likely to never pop up.

No one is trying to be a jerk. Your descriptions and characterizations of the reports do raise unresolved questions and do not seem to be supported by other documentation or interpretations within the hobby.

Nobody commented on @ayilar having photos (and memory) that go back to 1988? I am impressed.
I may not have mentioned it, but I did take note that he has info from 88.
I was a little **** then. No concern whatsoever then about cars.
@ayilar Impressive,,,,,
Thank you both, but all I deserve credit for is remembering that I'd seen photos of the car a couple of years ago. For records, they were posted on Flickr.com about ten years ago (I did not see them at the time, wasn't looking), from photos taken 25 years earlier (definitely wasn't at the shooting location). Cheers!

Credit is not given for remembering the car (that trunklid is a standout) but remembering where to look to find those pics again, that's the standout.
Although maybe you used the Spreeman technique on this one too.

Either way, you are exemplary at connecting the dots on such data.

Back